Re: [Fwd: Re: Do WMF want enwp.org?]

Moka Pantages

> -------- Original Message --------  Subject: Re: [Foundation-l] Do WMF
> want enwp.org?  Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2011 15:58:37 -0500  From: aude
> <[hidden email]> <[hidden email]>  Reply-To: Wikimedia
> Foundation Mailing List <[hidden email]><[hidden email]>  To:
> Wikimedia Foundation Mailing List <[hidden email]><[hidden email]>
>
> On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 3:37 PM, Thomas Wang <[hidden email]> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> > Hi!
> >
> > If WMF want enwp.org I will gladly hand it over.
> >

> Thank you for running this service!  I use it all the time for including
> wikipedia links in Twitter.
>
> It would be nice if it was officially supported by WMF or you were given
> resources necessary to maintain the service.

Hi, Thomas!

Really appreciate the offer! We've been talking about this for a few months
now; it's a great tool used by a lot of us here. We'll talk to a few folks
from the tech team and see how they can help.

Thanks again!

Cheers,
Moka

> Cheers,
> Katie (@aude)
>

> > -Thomas

Moka

Moka Pantages
415.839.6885 x 635
@moka

Re: [Fwd: Re: Do WMF want enwp.org?]

Béria Lima
I preffer wp.org (if is possible) to make internationalization easier. So to
en.wiki would be "en.wp.org", de.wiki "de.wp.org" and etc.
_____
*Béria Lima (Beh)
*

2011/2/16 Moka Pantages <[hidden email]>

> > -------- Original Message --------  Subject: Re: [Foundation-l] Do WMF
> > want enwp.org?  Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2011 15:58:37 -0500  From: aude
> > <[hidden email]> <[hidden email]>  Reply-To: Wikimedia
> > Foundation Mailing List <[hidden email]><
> [hidden email]>  To:
> > Wikimedia Foundation Mailing List <[hidden email]><
> [hidden email]>
> >
> > On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 3:37 PM, Thomas Wang <[hidden email]> <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
> >

> > > Hi!
> > >
> > > If WMF want enwp.org I will gladly hand it over.
> > >

> > Thank you for running this service!  I use it all the time for including
> > wikipedia links in Twitter.
> >
> > It would be nice if it was officially supported by WMF or you were given
> > resources necessary to maintain the service.
> >

> Hi, Thomas!
>
> Really appreciate the offer! We've been talking about this for a few months
> now; it's a great tool used by a lot of us here. We'll talk to a few folks
> from the tech team and see how they can help.
>
> Thanks again!
>
> Cheers,
> Moka
>

> > Cheers,
> > Katie (@aude)
> >

> > > -Thomas

> Cheers,
> Moka
>
> Moka Pantages
> 415.839.6885 x 635
> @moka

Re: [Fwd: Re: Do WMF want enwp.org?]

Casey Brown-5
On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 5:27 PM, Béria Lima <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I preffer wp.org (if is possible) to make internationalization easier. So to
> en.wiki would be "en.wp.org", de.wiki "de.wp.org" and etc.

That would be a good thing to have, yes.  However, what already exists
and, what is owned by Thomas, is enwp.org. :-)  Thomas is just
offering something that's already being used actively so that the
Foundation can ensure it's up for a long time.

--
Casey Brown
Cbrown1023

Re: [Fwd: Re: Do WMF want enwp.org?]

Lucien leGrey
+1 Thanks, Thomas :)

2011/2/16 Casey Brown <[hidden email]>

> On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 5:27 PM, Béria Lima <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > I preffer wp.org (if is possible) to make internationalization easier.
> So to
> > en.wiki would be "en.wp.org", de.wiki "de.wp.org" and etc.
>
> That would be a good thing to have, yes.  However, what already exists
> and, what is owned by Thomas, is enwp.org. :-)  Thomas is just
> offering something that's already being used actively so that the
> Foundation can ensure it's up for a long time.
>
> --
> Casey Brown
> Cbrown1023

+ Lucien

Re: [Fwd: Re: Do WMF want enwp.org?]

Frédéric Schütz
On 16/02/11 23:06, Moka Pantages wrote:

>>> If WMF want enwp.org I will gladly hand it over.
>>
>> Thank you for running this service!  I use it all the time for including
>> wikipedia links in Twitter.
>>
>> It would be nice if it was officially supported by WMF or you were given
>> resources necessary to maintain the service.
>
> Really appreciate the offer! We've been talking about this for a few months
> now; it's a great tool used by a lot of us here. We'll talk to a few folks
> from the tech team and see how they can help.

Just for info, Wikimedia CH registered frwp.org a few months ago, and we
provide redirects to the corresponding fr.wikipedia.org articles. I am
happy that WM CH can help by providing this tiny but useful service, but
it could also fit within a global shortcut tool for all languages,
managed by the WMF tech team.

Frédéric

Re: [Fwd: Re: Do WMF want enwp.org?]

Waldir Pimenta
On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 10:27 PM, Béria Lima <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I preffer wp.org (if is possible) to make internationalization easier. So
> en.wiki would be "en.wp.org", de.wiki "de.wp.org" and etc.

For the record (sorry I'm late btw :P), I had independently contacted the
owners of wp.org shortly before this thread came up, and they basically said
that even though they supported Wikipedia (they had even donated in the
past), the domain has too much potential value (WordPress, the Washington
Post, etc) for them to hand it over.

I also thought about this multi-language facet of Wikimedia, which is
further aggravated by the existence of multiple projects. That is, even
wp.org would have problems too, since we'd then need to get one for
wikinews, commons, etc. The best solution would be IMO getting the domain *
wi.ki*, since this could be adapted either through prefixes (i.e.,
subdomains, such as en.wi.ki) or suffixes (e.g. wi.ki/en) for languages
and/or project codes. In addition to that we could generate links as the
current shorteners do, like wi.ki/x23yz.

Now, the wi.ki domain at first seems to be unused, but
http://whois.nic.kireveals it is registered at least until 9 Jan 2012,
by
domaininfo.com. A search on that page reveals that wi.ki is not available
for registration, but seems to be buyable for 696 €. We could contact them
and ask for a partial donation, but it would work best if the request comes
from the WMF itself. Before figuring it was already registered, I sent an
email to organization that manages the .KI domain. The text of that email
might be useful for this effect: http://pastebin.com/L0v6uz1i

Here's a quote from that message that points out some of the advantages of
having these short urls:
*
*

> *"[Wikipedia] links are often long and hard to read (for instance:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=.ki&oldid=408287624 ), which
> makes them not only inconvenient, but also prone to reproduction errors.
> Since the practice of citation is such a critical component of journalism
> and scientific publication, minimizing this risk would bring very
> significant benefits for scholars, journalists, and even users who want to
> share links in social media.*

So, who supports that we request them a donation of that domain? And is
anyone from the WMF willing to send them the request? (Moka?)

It's fine if the tech team doesn't want to manage the domain; I'm sure
plenty of volunteers could offer to do that. But it we'd be much more likely
to get it in the first place if the request is made officially by the WMF.

So what do you guys think?

Waldir

Re: [Fwd: Re: Do WMF want enwp.org?]

Mono mium
I looked into this once...the domain price was quite steep or I would
have gotten it. However, a donation might be possible.

On Sun, May 1, 2011 at 5:23 PM, Waldir Pimenta <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 10:27 PM, Béria Lima <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I preffer wp.org (if is possible) to make internationalization easier. So
>> en.wiki would be "en.wp.org", de.wiki "de.wp.org" and etc.
>>

> For the record (sorry I'm late btw :P), I had independently contacted the
> owners of wp.org shortly before this thread came up, and they basically said
> that even though they supported Wikipedia (they had even donated in the
> past), the domain has too much potential value (WordPress, the Washington
> Post, etc) for them to hand it over.
>
> I also thought about this multi-language facet of Wikimedia, which is
> further aggravated by the existence of multiple projects. That is, even
> wp.org would have problems too, since we'd then need to get one for
> wikinews, commons, etc. The best solution would be IMO getting the domain *
> wi.ki*, since this could be adapted either through prefixes (i.e.,
> subdomains, such as en.wi.ki) or suffixes (e.g. wi.ki/en) for languages
> and/or project codes. In addition to that we could generate links as the
> current shorteners do, like wi.ki/x23yz.
>
> Now, the wi.ki domain at first seems to be unused, but
> http://whois.nic.kireveals it is registered at least until 9 Jan 2012,
> by
> domaininfo.com. A search on that page reveals that wi.ki is not available
> for registration, but seems to be buyable for 696 €. We could contact them
> and ask for a partial donation, but it would work best if the request comes
> from the WMF itself. Before figuring it was already registered, I sent an
> email to organization that manages the .KI domain. The text of that email
> might be useful for this effect: http://pastebin.com/L0v6uz1i
>
> Here's a quote from that message that points out some of the advantages of
> having these short urls:
> *
> *
>>
>> *"[Wikipedia] links are often long and hard to read (for instance:
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=.ki&oldid=408287624 ), which
>> makes them not only inconvenient, but also prone to reproduction errors.
>> Since the practice of citation is such a critical component of journalism
>> and scientific publication, minimizing this risk would bring very
>> significant benefits for scholars, journalists, and even users who want to
>> share links in social media.*
>>

> So, who supports that we request them a donation of that domain? And is
> anyone from the WMF willing to send them the request? (Moka?)
>
> It's fine if the tech team doesn't want to manage the domain; I'm sure
> plenty of volunteers could offer to do that. But it we'd be much more likely
> to get it in the first place if the request is made officially by the WMF.
>
> So what do you guys think?
>
> Waldir

Re: [Fwd: Re: Do WMF want enwp.org?]

Martijn Hoekstra
Back to the issue at hand though: Thomas is (quite generously)
offering the enwp.org domain. Would the foundation like to have it?

On Mon, May 2, 2011 at 6:58 AM, Mono mium <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>> *
>>>
>>> *"[Wikipedia] links are often long and hard to read (for instance:
>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=.ki&oldid=408287624 ), which
>>> makes them not only inconvenient, but also prone to reproduction errors.
>>> Since the practice of citation is such a critical component of journalism
>>> and scientific publication, minimizing this risk would bring very
>>> significant benefits for scholars, journalists, and even users who want to
>>> share links in social media.*
>>>

>> So, who supports that we request them a donation of that domain? And is
>> anyone from the WMF willing to send them the request? (Moka?)
>>
>> It's fine if the tech team doesn't want to manage the domain; I'm sure
>> plenty of volunteers could offer to do that. But it we'd be much more likely
>> to get it in the first place if the request is made officially by the WMF.

Re: [Fwd: Re: Do WMF want enwp.org?]

Gerard Meijssen-3
Hoi,
The wp.org is probably for sale ... It makes more sense to acquire that
domain.
Thanks,
      GerardM

On 8 May 2011 15:18, Martijn Hoekstra <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> an
> >> email to organization that manages the .KI domain. The text of that
> email
> >> might be useful for this effect: http://pastebin.com/L0v6uz1i
> >>
> >> Here's a quote from that message that points out some of the advantages
> of
> >> having these short urls:
> >> *
> >> *

> errors.
> journalism
> >>>

> >> So, who supports that we request them a donation of that domain? And is
> >> anyone from the WMF willing to send them the request? (Moka?)
> >>
> >> It's fine if the tech team doesn't want to manage the domain; I'm sure
> >> plenty of volunteers could offer to do that. But it we'd be much more
> likely
> >> to get it in the first place if the request is made officially by the

Re: [Fwd: Re: Do WMF want enwp.org?]

Krinkle
Although we maybe only doing this for Wikipedia, here's a few
comparisons / ideas

== Projects * domains:

(subdomain)
en.wp.org / Title
de.wt.org / Title (de.wiktionary)
c.wm.org / Title (commons.wikimedia)

(directory)
wp.org / en / Title
wt.org / de / Title (de.wiktionary)
wm.org / c / Title (commons.wikimedia)

== Editions * Project * domains

enwp.org / Title
dewt.org / Title
wikimediacommons.org / Title

== 1 domain ?

(directory)
wi.ki / p / en / Title (Wikipedia EN)
wi.ki / t / de / Title (Wiktionary DE
wi.ki / commons / Title (Wikimedia Commons)

(interwiki root)
wi.ki / w:en:Title
wi.ki / t:de:Title
wi.ki / commons:Title

Personally, I like the 1domain-root and projects-subdomains solution.
Just a few thoughts :)

--
Krinkle
Op 8 mei 2011, om 15:59 heeft Gerard Meijssen het volgende geschreven:

> Hoi,
> The wp.org is probably for sale ... It makes more sense to acquire
> that
> domain.
> Thanks,
>      GerardM
>
> On 8 May 2011 15:18, Martijn Hoekstra <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Back to the issue at hand though: Thomas is (quite generously)
>> offering the enwp.org domain. Would the foundation like to have it?
>>
>> On Mon, May 2, 2011 at 6:58 AM, Mono mium <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> I looked into this once...the domain price was quite steep or I
>>> would
>>> have gotten it. However, a donation might be possible.

>> So

>> the
>> said
>> Washington

>> domain *

>> available
>> them
>> comes
>> an
>> email

>> of

>> errors.
>> journalism

>> likely
>> WMF.

Re: [Fwd: Re: Do WMF want enwp.org?]

David Levy-8
Martijn Hoekstra wrote:

> > Back to the issue at hand though: Thomas is (quite generously)
> > offering the enwp.org domain. Would the foundation like to have it?

Gerard Meijssen replied:

> The wp.org is probably for sale ... It makes more sense to acquire
> that domain.

Why is this an either-or proposition?

Even if the wp.org domain name is worth acquiring (most likely at a
substantial cost, as Waldir Pimenta noted), why does this mean that
the Wikimedia Foundation should decline Thomas Wang's generous
donation of the enwp.org domain name?

—David Levy

Re: [Fwd: Re: Do WMF want enwp.org?]

Martijn Hoekstra
On Sun, May 8, 2011 at 4:20 PM, David Levy <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Martijn Hoekstra wrote:
>
>> > Back to the issue at hand though: Thomas is (quite generously)
>> > offering the enwp.org domain. Would the foundation like to have it?
>
> Gerard Meijssen replied:
>
>> The wp.org is probably for sale ... It makes more sense to acquire
>> that domain.
>
> Why is this an either-or proposition?
>
> Even if the wp.org domain name is worth acquiring (most likely at a
> substantial cost, as Waldir Pimenta noted), why does this mean that
> the Wikimedia Foundation should decline Thomas Wang's generous
> donation of the enwp.org domain name?
>
> —David Levy

Which already is in fairly widespread use

Re: [Fwd: Re: Do WMF want enwp.org?]

John Mark Vandenberg

http://en.ws/ , http://de.ws/, etc would be lovely.

> == 1 domain ?
>
> (directory)
> wi.ki / p / en / Title (Wikipedia EN)
> wi.ki / t / de / Title (Wiktionary DE
> wi.ki / commons / Title (Wikimedia Commons)
>
> (interwiki root)
> wi.ki / w:en:Title
> wi.ki / t:de:Title
> wi.ki / commons:Title
>

> Personally, I like the 1domain-root and projects-subdomains solution.

I prefer that as well.

http://commons.org/ would be nice.  have we tried approaching them?

--
John Vandenberg

Re: [Fwd: Re: Do WMF want enwp.org?]

Keegan Peterzell
On Mon, May 9, 2011 at 1:58 AM, John Vandenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

> http://commons.org/ would be nice.  have we tried approaching them?
>
> --
> John Vandenberg

Who, exactly, is in charge of domain registration at the WMF?

--
~Keegan

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Keegan

Re: [Fwd: Re: Do WMF want enwp.org?]

Casey Brown-5
On Mon, May 9, 2011 at 3:09 AM, Keegan Peterzell <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Mon, May 9, 2011 at 1:58 AM, John Vandenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> http://commons.org/ would be nice.  have we tried approaching them?
>>
>> --
>> John Vandenberg
>
> Who, exactly, is in charge of domain registration at the WMF?

I believe it's Rob Halsell.  I forwarded Thomas's original e-mail to
him yesterday to see if he could do anything to help; we'll see what
he says. :-)

--
Casey Brown
Cbrown1023

Re: [Fwd: Re: Do WMF want enwp.org?]

Huib Laurens
But we are still going offtopic. I guess we should take the offer for
enwp.org how to go forward is later business right?

Huib

2011/5/9 Casey Brown <[hidden email]>

> On Mon, May 9, 2011 at 3:09 AM, Keegan Peterzell <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> > On Mon, May 9, 2011 at 1:58 AM, John Vandenberg <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >>
> >> http://commons.org/ would be nice.  have we tried approaching them?
> >>
> >> --
> >> John Vandenberg
> >
> > Who, exactly, is in charge of domain registration at the WMF?
> >

> I believe it's Rob Halsell.  I forwarded Thomas's original e-mail to
> him yesterday to see if he could do anything to help; we'll see what
> he says. :-)
>
> --
> Casey Brown
> Cbrown1023

Kind regards,

Huib Laurens
WickedWay.nl

Webhosting the wicked way.

Re: [Fwd: Re: Do WMF want enwp.org?]

Aude-2
On Mon, May 9, 2011 at 10:18 AM, Huib Laurens <[hidden email]> wrote:

> But we are still going offtopic. I guess we should take the offer for
> enwp.org how to go forward is later business right?

Yes, we should. It's useful and already fairly widely used.

-Katie

> Huib
>
> 2011/5/9 Casey Brown <[hidden email]>
>
> > On Mon, May 9, 2011 at 3:09 AM, Keegan Peterzell <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:

> > > Who, exactly, is in charge of domain registration at the WMF?
> > >

> > I believe it's Rob Halsell.  I forwarded Thomas's original e-mail to
> > him yesterday to see if he could do anything to help; we'll see what
> > he says. :-)
> >
> > --
> > Casey Brown
> > Cbrown1023

> Kind regards,
>
> Huib Laurens
> WickedWay.nl
>
> Webhosting the wicked way.

Re: [Fwd: Re: Do WMF want enwp.org?]

Casey Brown-5
On Mon, May 9, 2011 at 10:18 AM, Huib Laurens <[hidden email]> wrote:
> 2011/5/9 Casey Brown <[hidden email]>:
>> I believe it's Rob Halsell.  I forwarded Thomas's original e-mail to
>> him yesterday to see if he could do anything to help; we'll see what
>> he says. :-)
>
> But we are still going offtopic. I guess we should take the offer for
> enwp.org how to go forward is later business right?

Yes, by "Thomas's original e-mail" I was referring to enwp.org.

--
Casey Brown
Cbrown1023

Re: [Fwd: Re: Do WMF want enwp.org?]

Platonides
Just create your own tld ;)

Re: [Fwd: Re: Do WMF want enwp.org?]

Ryan Kaldari-2
Actually, what we should be doing is asking Afilias for one of the reserved
1-letter domains: w.org. Twitter has t.co, so why not?

Ryan Kaldari