Quantcast

Re: [GLAM] Library e-books on demand

Ole Palnatoke Andersen-2
The book has been digitized now. I can see it at
http://www.kb.dk/e-mat/dod/130019427200.pdf

You may or may not be able to see it.

Regards,
Ole

On Thu, Nov 1, 2012 at 5:39 PM, Ole Palnatoke Andersen <[hidden email]>wrote:

> I have now ordered "Glossarium norvagicum, eller, Forsøg paa en Samling af
> saadanne rare norske Ord som gemeenlig ikke forstaaes af danske Folk,
> tilligemed en Fortegnelse paa norske Mænds og Qvinders Navne, Det fælles
> Sprog til Oplysning og Forbedring" from 1749 to find out :-)
>

> On Thu, Nov 1, 2012 at 2:46 PM, Jonathan Gray <[hidden email]>wrote:
>
>> Great - thanks Ole!
>>
>> So - from the point of view of prospective reusers - does this mean that
>> e-books from DOD can be freely circulated and reused (as per
>> opendefinition.org)? E.g. will scanned e-books or digital editions be
>> made available with a legal waiver (Public Domain Mark / CC0) or equivalent
>> "no rights reserved" legal disclaimers?
>>
>> J.
>>

>> On Thu, Nov 1, 2012 at 2:42 PM, Ole Palnatoke Andersen <[hidden email]
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> The library assumes that everything pre-1900 is out of copyright, and
>>> yes: There are two projects - e-books on demand (EOD) and digitizing on
>>> demand (DOD). EOD is an Europeana project where the user pays for time
>>> spent (iirc), while DOD is Royal Library only, and free. The time frames
>>> are as you mentioned, Jonathan.
>>>
>>> Oh, David: please do not move too fast - the people involved in the DOD
>>> project need to catch their collective breaths (I also need some of the to
>>> write Wikipedia articles) :-)
>>>
>>> -Ole

>>> --
>>> http://palnatoke.org * @palnatoke * +4522934588

>> --
>> Jonathan Gray
>>
>> Head of Community
>> The Open Knowledge Foundation
>> http://www.okfn.org
>>
>> http://twitter.com/jwyg

> http://palnatoke.org * @palnatoke * +4522934588

--
http://palnatoke.org * @palnatoke * +4522934588

Re: [GLAM] Library e-books on demand

Lars Aronsson
On 11/08/2012 01:53 PM, Ole Palnatoke Andersen wrote:
> The book has been digitized now. I can see it at
> http://www.kb.dk/e-mat/dod/130019427200.pdf

Looking at this file, pdfinfo says it was created
by Finereader Recognition Server and that the
page size is 595.44 × 841.68 pts. If "pts" is 1/72
of an inch, this would mean 8.27 × 11.69 inches,
close to letter size, which is clearly unrealistic.
I would guess that the pages of the physical
book is roughly half of that or 4-5 × 6-7 inches.
The images are 1170 × 1873 pixels, and I would
estimate the scanning resolution to be in the
range 250 to 300 dpi. That's good enough.

The included OCR text looks like this for a text
page (page 20 of the PDF, paginated -12-):

   ventede den, men meente jeg forstoed ncr-
   sten alt Norsk, fisen jeg t mine yngre Aar
   ogsaa havde varet her nogen tort Tltd,
   og da langt lcrttere kom til rette t daglig
   Samtale. Imidlertid blev jkg snart vaec
  at Adflilligheven beroede paa den Kster
  og Vesterlandske äisleÄcs heel store og

It's not bad that it read "forstoed", with
the long "s" and the old spelling "oe".
But on the second line "siden" was read
as "fisen", which is incorrect. Not a
single "æ" is correct, which is odd for
trying to recognize Danish, while "ä"
erroneously appears on the last line
of this excerpt. This indicates that it
really tries to recognize the German
alphabet, albeit with a Danish dictionary.

This is "the usual quality" for OCR of
blackletter (fraktur), and not radically
good.

I uploaded the work to
http://runeberg.org/glossnor/
with the OCR text provided.