Re: Google Site search

Colin Kaminski
>Google has a feature called "Site Search"  that does exactly what you
>are looking for.  See http://www.google.com/features.html#sitesearch for
>details.

Ah, yes I do use that feature but with a few lines of HTML there can be a
search bar directly on that page that inserts that code for us. I use it on
my phpBB forum. I still have not figured out how to get it in my wiki. Here
is the details:

http://www.google.com/faq_freewebsearch.html

I don't quite understand php well enough to get it to generate into the
search page. I am still trying however.

You can see it in the footer on my forum here:

http://holographyforum.org/phpBB2/search.php

I would like it to show up when I get a search with no results on my wiki as
well. :?

Colin

Editing help

Armin Kniesel
Hi,

i have installed Mediawiki 1.6.1 and use the english
language.
If a standard user (or a not-looged-in-user) wants to
edit a page,
at the bottom of the page the link "Editing help"
links to "Help:Editing".
If a user with german preferences edits a page this
link shows to
"My_site:Editierhilfe".

Is this a bug or a feature?

In this case i have to set up this (and similar) pages
twice or even more,
that is i have to create them in english, in german
and so on. Right?

Armin

Re: Editing help

Rob Church
On 10/04/06, Armin Kniesel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> i have installed Mediawiki 1.6.1 and use the english
> language.
> If a standard user (or a not-looged-in-user) wants to
> edit a page,
> at the bottom of the page the link "Editing help"
> links to "Help:Editing".
> If a user with german preferences edits a page this
> link shows to
> "My_site:Editierhilfe".

There appear to be discrepancies between some of the messages in
different languages; the contents of the "edithelppage" message should
point to the "Help:Editing" page by default, but don't in some
localisations.

> Is this a bug or a feature?

I would consider it a bug.

> In this case i have to set up this (and similar) pages
> twice or even more,
> that is i have to create them in english, in german
> and so on. Right?

You can change the value in MessagesDe.php (in the languages folder)
to point the German users to a different page. This allows for
creation of, e.g. "Help:Editing", "Help:Editing/de" etc.

Rob Church

Re: Google Site search

Tom Preuss
Colin,

See
http://mail.wikipedia.org/pipermail/mediawiki-l/2005-November/008222.html
and
http://mail.wikipedia.org/pipermail/mediawiki-l/2005-December/008716.html
for different ways to implement what you are looking for.

Also,
http://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Ahttp%3A%2F%2Fmail.wikipedia.org%2Fpipermail%2Fmediawiki-l%2F+%22google+search%22&
might be of some use for further options.  :P

Best regards,

Tom Preuss