Re: How might interactive maps be used on Wikipedia?

Re: How might interactive maps be used on Wikipedia?

Chris Koerner-2
Elias, good feedback on loading on mobile and scrolling. Perhaps this is
where loading a static image of the map prior to any interaction would
prove beneficial. When we are ready to make this available on Wikipedia
we'll have a static image of the map render first. Then if a visitor
interacts the interactive map will appear. I think this will alleviate some
of your concerns.

--
Yours,
Chris Koerner

Re: How might interactive maps be used on Wikipedia?

Chris Koerner-2
James,

------------------------------

>Will their still be a way to get a wide choice of competing commercial map
services from geographical coordinates?

As you can via location templates (Template:Geobox cool) and Geohack?
I don't believe there are any plans to change things there.

>What happens when you try to print an interactive map?

It prints the map! :) Which I think is a good thing. What do you think?

>Do we think that the Foundation can offer solutions for maps accessible to
the visually impaired at least as good as those of commercial map services?

Good question. Can you tell me more about your concerns here? We should
learn from other services and make sure we bring these lessons back to our
own engineers.