Re: How to start a viable competitor to Wikipedia? Step 1 allow people to edit

Re: How to start a viable competitor to Wikipedia? Step 1 allow people to edit

WereSpielChequers-2
There is a difference between hosting a site and running a site.
Jimmy's company wikia hosts a number of sites including Liberapedia -
http://liberapedia.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page None of the various
conservative sites seem to use wikia, unless that is Wikia allows
sites to use their own domain name? Wikkii is definitely a rival to
Wikia. They all seem to use wiki technology. I wonder if they are
deliberately avoiding the indirect connection to Wikipedia by doing
business with our founder?

Interestingly only Liberapedia and one of the conservative sites,
http://www.astorehouseofknowledge.info/Main_Page are actually open for
editing. Conservapedia  http://www.conservapedia.com/Main_Page
currently comes up as a 404 and
http://conservapedia.wikkii.com/wiki/Main_Page allows you to create an
account, but not to edit, not even to edit your own talkpage....

Has anyone done a study of these various sites to see if any have had
a measure of success without allowing IP editing?

As EN Wiki looks like rising the drawbridge to the extent of only
allowing autoconfimred accounts to create new articles, it would be
interesting to know if any  successful sites are that restrictive.

WereSpielChequers

On 9 April 2011 00:08, Sarah <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 8, 2011 at 15:57, Bob the Wikipedian
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Already been done, Conservapedia. The most disgusting mockery of
>> conservatives I've ever seen. Then again, isn't this one of the sites
>> Jimbo runs?
>>
> Definitely not.

Re: How to start a viable competitor to Wikipedia? Step 1 allow people to edit

David Gerard-2
On 9 April 2011 12:53, WereSpielChequers <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Interestingly only Liberapedia and one of the conservative sites,
> http://www.astorehouseofknowledge.info/Main_Page are actually open for
> editing. Conservapedia  http://www.conservapedia.com/Main_Page
> currently comes up as a 404 and
> http://conservapedia.wikkii.com/wiki/Main_Page allows you to create an
> account, but not to edit, not even to edit your own talkpage....

404 or 403? Conservapedia user TK (TK-CP on Wikipedia) had a programme
of doing huge rangeblocks on entire countries, keeping them from even
*viewing* the site. He passed away in December and since then it's
been unlocked slightly, but I believe most or all of the UK is still
under a rangeblock ...

(Wiki failure mode: being so paranoid you block perceived enemies from
*looking* at your site.)

- d.

Re: How to start a viable competitor to Wikipedia? Step 1 allow people to edit

Bob the Wikipedian
Sad indeed. I am not entirely convinced Conservapedia is even maintained
by conservatives. Most of the stuff I've seen on there looks as though
it was designed to poke fun at conservatives, rather than to represent
us accurately.

I've not heard of Liberapedia; I might check it out in a bit to see how
awful it is.

Bob

On 9 April 2011 18:23, Bob the Wikipedian <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Sad indeed. I am not entirely convinced Conservapedia is even maintained
> by conservatives. Most of the stuff I've seen on there looks as though
> it was designed to poke fun at conservatives, rather than to represent
> us accurately.

It and its founder, Andrew Schlafly, appear to be entirely sincere.
However, they are far-outlying nutters - even other Fundamentalist
Christian conservatives (e.g. the founder's rather more famous mother
Phyllis) don't want anything to do with them.

- d.

Re: How to start a viable competitor to Wikipedia? Step 1 allow people to edit

Fred Bauder-2
> Sad indeed. I am not entirely convinced Conservapedia is even maintained
> by conservatives. Most of the stuff I've seen on there looks as though
> it was designed to poke fun at conservatives, rather than to represent
> us accurately.

And Glen Beck is a Stalinist intent on discrediting resistance to
totalitarian communism?

If they are that clever we are doomed.

Fred

Re: How to start a viable competitor to Wikipedia? Step 1 allow people to edit

Ancient Apparition
I think that the 404 might be the blocks Sarah was talking about.

-James.

Re: How to start a viable competitor to Wikipedia? Step 1 allow people to edit

Thomas Dalton
On 9 April 2011 13:00, David Gerard <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 9 April 2011 12:53, WereSpielChequers <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Interestingly only Liberapedia and one of the conservative sites,
>> http://www.astorehouseofknowledge.info/Main_Page are actually open for
>> editing. Conservapedia  http://www.conservapedia.com/Main_Page
>> currently comes up as a 404 and
>> http://conservapedia.wikkii.com/wiki/Main_Page allows you to create an
>> account, but not to edit, not even to edit your own talkpage....
>

> 404 or 403? Conservapedia user TK (TK-CP on Wikipedia) had a programme
> of doing huge rangeblocks on entire countries, keeping them from even
> *viewing* the site. He passed away in December and since then it's
> been unlocked slightly, but I believe most or all of the UK is still
> under a rangeblock ...

I get this error:

"Forbidden

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to
use an ErrorDocument to handle the request. "

That looks like a 403, although it doesn't contain the number. The
mention of 404 is a reference to the error page not being found (so
using the server's default error page instead).

Blocking whole countries from viewing your website seems very
counter-productive to me...

Re: How to start a viable competitor to Wikipedia? Step 1 allow people to edit

Ian Woollard
> I get this error:
>
> "Forbidden
> You don't have permission to access / on this server.
>
> Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to
> use an ErrorDocument to handle the request. "

> Blocking whole countries from viewing your website seems very
> counter-productive to me...

Yes, it's such a shame that us heathens in Europe are denied the great
knowledge of how the kangaroos managed to cling to logs after the
great flood, as with all of the other marsupials, individually, so
that they ended up only in Australia, and also how they managed to
develop sufficient genetic diversity in such a short time to be a
viable population.

Instead, we have to put up with the drivel in the Wikipedia, based on
*mere* observation, genetic analysis, fossils, biology, geology,
physics, chemistry and mathematics.

Something MUST be done to unblock this goldmine! I *would* suggest
that the WMF mirror the Conservapedia, but, alas, after checking the
Conservapedia license to use the work, unlike the more restrictive
license the Wikipedia uses, it appears to be revokable at will(!)

--
-Ian Woollard

Re: How to start a viable competitor to Wikipedia? Step 1 allow people to edit

Bob the Wikipedian
But Europeans might contaminate Conservapedia with *gasp* things that
don't test your faith!

That site's a mess. Better that the world /doesn't/ see it, really. They
might start thinking conservative Christians (like myself) are all that
ignorant. And according to the article on dinosaurs, I'm an atheistic
liberal junk scientist because I believe in evolution. Last I checked,
I'm a devout Catholic who values modern science as a supplement to my
faith. And interestingly, theories that are commonly turned down by
theists were actually developed by devout theists (heliocentrism, big
bang, evolution).

God bless,
Bob

On 4/10/2011 4:46 PM, Ian Woollard wrote:

> On 10/04/2011, Thomas Dalton<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>> I get this error:
>>
>> "Forbidden
>> You don't have permission to access / on this server.
>>
>> Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to
>> use an ErrorDocument to handle the request. "
>> Blocking whole countries from viewing your website seems very
>> counter-productive to me...
> Yes, it's such a shame that us heathens in Europe are denied the great
> knowledge of how the kangaroos managed to cling to logs after the
> great flood, as with all of the other marsupials, individually, so
> that they ended up only in Australia, and also how they managed to
> develop sufficient genetic diversity in such a short time to be a
> viable population.
>
> Instead, we have to put up with the drivel in the Wikipedia, based on
> *mere* observation, genetic analysis, fossils, biology, geology,
> physics, chemistry and mathematics.
>
> Something MUST be done to unblock this goldmine! I *would* suggest
> that the WMF mirror the Conservapedia, but, alas, after checking the
> Conservapedia license to use the work, unlike the more restrictive
> license the Wikipedia uses, it appears to be revokable at will(!)

Re: How to start a viable competitor to Wikipedia? Step 1 allow people to edit

Ancient Apparition
Conservapedia seeks to rewrite history, it makes Convservative Christians
look like uninformed idiots, most Christians ALREADY KNOW that man did
land on the moon, the earth isn't flat, dinosaurs did exist, the earth
CAN'T possibly be 6000 years old and that the earth revolves around the sun.

I wonder what would have happened if scientists from the Middle Ages onwards
were allowed to develop their theories, we MIGHT have solved most of the
world's problems, or ended it early. Either way, it was the church's failure
accept change that held back the development of "superior Western
culture", the early Europeans were largely responsible for delaying the
advancement of technology.

The early Europeans did the "will of God", was doing the will of God
forcibly
delaying technological advances and forcing your religious beliefs on
another
person? I'm fairly certain the New Testament is different to the Old
Testament
in that it doesn't encourage violence as the means for conversion...

The "assimilate or die" behaviour was dismissed in the Old Testament.
Instead
Jesus preached love if I'm correct. Sure the NT says "atheists and heathens"
will rot in eternal damnation, but it doesn't hold the "assimilate or die"
belief.''

Re: How to start a viable competitor to Wikipedia? Step 1 allow people to edit

MuZemike
Not to be supporting Conservapedia (more like playing Devil's Advocate),
but isn't "rewriting history" different from "reinterpreting history"?
It's like interpreting The Bible; that is, there are different
interpretations of the entire book that span the entire one-dimensional
political spectrum.

-MuZemike

On 4/10/2011 9:21 PM, Ancient Apparition wrote:

> Conservapedia seeks to rewrite history, it makes Convservative Christians
> look like uninformed idiots, most Christians ALREADY KNOW that man did
> land on the moon, the earth isn't flat, dinosaurs did exist, the earth
> CAN'T possibly be 6000 years old and that the earth revolves around the sun.
>
> I wonder what would have happened if scientists from the Middle Ages onwards
> were allowed to develop their theories, we MIGHT have solved most of the
> world's problems, or ended it early. Either way, it was the church's failure
> accept change that held back the development of "superior Western
> culture", the early Europeans were largely responsible for delaying the
> advancement of technology.
>
> The early Europeans did the "will of God", was doing the will of God
> forcibly
> delaying technological advances and forcing your religious beliefs on
> another
> person? I'm fairly certain the New Testament is different to the Old
> Testament
> in that it doesn't encourage violence as the means for conversion...
>
> The "assimilate or die" behaviour was dismissed in the Old Testament.
> Instead
> Jesus preached love if I'm correct. Sure the NT says "atheists and heathens"
> will rot in eternal damnation, but it doesn't hold the "assimilate or die"
> belief.''

Re: How to start a viable competitor to Wikipedia? Step 1 allow people to edit

Ancient Apparition
Sorry, good point MuZemike, that's what I meant. The world would benefit
more
if the kind folks at Conservapedia tore down the site. Andrew Schlafly is
full of
bull... Colbert's interview with him is... interesting, tch, yeah Wikipedia
is "biased"
Dream on Schlafly!

--
-Ancient Apparition <http://enwp.org/User:Ancient_Apparition>**
*English Wikipedia Abuse Response and Account Creations team member*

Re: How to start a viable competitor to Wikipedia? Step 1 allow people to edit

Ian Woollard
Although, to be fair, the Wikipedia article on Kangaroos does fail to
note the Aboriginal beliefs on where kangaroos come from, as well as
the idea that they floated there from Mount Ararat on a log (and also
fails to mention why the whole idea of arriving on logs is bloody
stupid).

On 11/04/2011, Ancient Apparition <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Sorry, good point MuZemike, that's what I meant. The world would benefit
> more
> if the kind folks at Conservapedia tore down the site. Andrew Schlafly is
> full of
> bull... Colbert's interview with him is... interesting, tch, yeah Wikipedia
> is "biased"
> Dream on Schlafly!
>
> --
> -Ancient Apparition <http://enwp.org/User:Ancient_Apparition>**
> *English Wikipedia Abuse Response and Account Creations team member*

-Ian Woollard

Re: Conservapedia

Bob the Wikipedian
 From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia:

    "[The Fiji iguanas <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brachylophus>] have
    been hypothesized to have evolved from New World iguanas that rafted
    <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rafting_event> 8000 km west across the
    Pacific Ocean <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacific_Ocean> with the
    aid of the South Equatorial Current
    <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Equatorial_Current>...a rafting
    voyage of four months.... [Its] ancestors...may have been preadapted
    for such a journey by having water requirements that can be
    satisfied by food alone, as well as comparatively long egg
    incubation periods."

A highly improbable theory, but it was long-recognized as the most
plausible one until 2009.

God bless,
Bob