Re: ISO-8859-1 to UTF-8 questions.

erchache2000
Brion Vibber escribió:

>anders.nygard wrote:
>

>>1. Mediawiki is supposed to convert old ISO format article text to UTF-8
>>on the fly, right. How is this triggered, Do I need to set $wgUseLatin1 to
>>get it to work or what.
>>

>$wgLegacyEncoding.
>
>-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)

Brion, with this i dont need to upgrade to utf-8? Install on a blank
site and only change database?

Re: ISO-8859-1 to UTF-8 questions.

Brion Vibber
erchache2000 wrote:

> Brion Vibber escribió:
>> anders.nygard wrote:
>>> 1. Mediawiki is supposed to convert old ISO format article text to
>>> UTF-8 on the fly, right. How is this triggered, Do I need to set
>>> $wgUseLatin1 to get it to work or what.
>>>

>> $wgLegacyEncoding.
>>
> Brion, with this i dont need to upgrade to utf-8? Install on a blank
> site and only change database?
When a text blob is loaded from the 'text' table which has an old_flags value
not including the 'utf-8' tag, the text will be transcoded from the setting in
$wgLegacyEncoding to UTF-8 during loading.

This effects only text coming out of 'text' (or 'archive' for deleted
revisions). It does not apply to usernames, page titles, comments, and other
database fields which are used directly.

To successfully upgrade an old database which contained ISO-8859-1 data, you
must transcode all these other fields to UTF-8. You can either find your own way
to do this (iconv, playing around with encoding support in MySQL 4.1+, etc), or
you can very carefully try using the upgrade1_5.php script which we used to
upgrade from 1.4 to 1.5 schema.

This script was made for internal use and is not documented. Please read through
it to confirm that it does what you need and that you have configured things
correctly for it before considering its use.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)