Re: Independent article

David Gerard-2
[[Marti Pellow]] had some vandalism that made the media - it said for
five hours on Friday that he was dead. If people could watchlist it,
that would be good (that should be enough for now).

The Independent, Tue 16 Jan

===
Pellow fans upset by death reports

Fans of the Wet Wet Wet frontman Marti Pellow were left stunned yesterday
after the online encyclopedia Wikipedia reported that he had died last
Friday. One fan, Sophie Cornwell, said: "I couldn't believe my eyes when I
read that he was dead - I was absolutely shell shocked." Natasha Mensah,
Pellow's publicist, confirmed he was "definitely still alive". A Wikipedia
spokesman, David Gerard, said: "We would like to apologise for any distress
we may have caused... but occasionally pranksters change details on the
site."
===

(Thanks to Steel359 for typing it in. Article was a tiny space-filler on p12.)

I'm sure what I actually said was "Yeah, we get this sort of rubbish
all the time ..." But newspapers are a reliable source, so that must
be what I actually said.

By the way, this article did not have a {{WPBiography}} template on
the talk page. Every bio should have one of these, particularly living
bios. If you EVER spot a bio, particularly a living one, with a
red-linked talk page, please put {{WPBiography}} on the talk page!
[[Template:WPBiography]] lists how to fill it in.

- d.

Re: Independent article

Rich Farmbrough
He also changed Dec (of Ant and Dec) to a dead Dec.  I have left a
test2.   Incidentaly the Pellow article had the date 12 january (with
a lower case j), which would be a tip off for an experienced user.

> [[Marti Pellow]] had some vandalism that made the media - it said for
> five hours on Friday that he was dead. If people could watchlist it,
> that would be good (that should be enough for now).
>
> The Independent, Tue 16 Jan
>
> ===
> Pellow fans upset by death reports
>
> Fans of the Wet Wet Wet frontman Marti Pellow were left stunned yesterday
> after the online encyclopedia Wikipedia reported that he had died last
> Friday. One fan, Sophie Cornwell, said: "I couldn't believe my eyes when I
> read that he was dead - I was absolutely shell shocked." Natasha Mensah,
> Pellow's publicist, confirmed he was "definitely still alive". A Wikipedia
> spokesman, David Gerard, said: "We would like to apologise for any distress
> we may have caused... but occasionally pranksters change details on the
> site."
> ===
>
> (Thanks to Steel359 for typing it in. Article was a tiny space-filler on p12.)
>
> I'm sure what I actually said was "Yeah, we get this sort of rubbish
> all the time ..." But newspapers are a reliable source, so that must
> be what I actually said.
>
> By the way, this article did not have a {{WPBiography}} template on
> the talk page. Every bio should have one of these, particularly living
> bios. If you EVER spot a bio, particularly a living one, with a
> red-linked talk page, please put {{WPBiography}} on the talk page!
> [[Template:WPBiography]] lists how to fill it in.
>

> - d.

Landline (UK) 01780 575 250
Mobile (UK) 07940 819 025

Re: Independent article

David Gerard-2
On 17/01/07, Richard Farmbrough <[hidden email]> wrote:

> He also changed Dec (of Ant and Dec) to a dead Dec.  I have left a
> test2.   Incidentaly the Pellow article had the date 12 january (with
> a lower case j), which would be a tip off for an experienced user.

I think that the IP changed Dec's height to 3'7" indicated he was
being silly. If caught in the act I'd have given them an hour-long
"well done, here is your applause" block myself ...

- d.

Re: Independent article

Rob Church
> spokesman, David Gerard, said: "We would like to apologise for any distress
> we may have caused... but occasionally pranksters change details on the

See, *they* thought he said "prankster", but we all know what he's
more likely to have said. :P

Rob Church

Re: Independent article

Gordon Joly
At 16:58 +0000 17/1/07, Rob Church wrote:

>On 17/01/07, David Gerard <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>  spokesman, David Gerard, said: "We would like to apologise for any distress
>>  we may have caused... but occasionally pranksters change details on the
>
>See, *they* thought he said "prankster", but we all know what he's
>more likely to have said. :P
>

>Rob Church
>
>____

Branleur?

Gordo

--
"Think Feynman"/////////
http://pobox.com/~gordo/

Re: Independent article

Peter Coombe
I think I found the reason behind this spate of vandalism

http://www.b3ta.com/newsletter/issue261/ - scroll down to "wiki-death"

http://www.b3ta.com/newsletter/issue259/ - the original encouragement, under "star in next week's issue"

Silly b3ta. Although to be honest, it was the b3ta newsletter that introduced me to Wikipedia in the first place.

the wub

Re: Independent article

James Hardy-2
Ahh, that explains it.

I suppose then that this was inevitable then:
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Rob_Manuel&diff=101896573&oldid=101846529