Re: Italian Wikipedia - probably best discussed on Foundation

Re: Italian Wikipedia - probably best discussed on Foundation

WereSpielChequers-2
There are reams of postings on this in the Foundation mailing list.

foundation-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/foundation-l

May I suggest that anyone who wants to follow this one signs up to
Foundation, if only for the current discussion? I'm not trying to squash
discussion here, but if people do discuss it here without reading the posts
by the Italians, by Sue and many others on  Foundation then I suspect a fair
amount will be repetition and explanation of what has been said on
Foundation.

WereSpielChequers

On 5 October 2011 18:48, Rob Schnautz <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Woah. I just checked it.wikipedia.org because it sounded like a
> hoax...it's
> real. Does the law apply to website providers or to those who contribute to
> the website? If it's the former, you're right; Wikipedia is in Florida. But
> if it's the latter, then Wikipedia is most certainly affected by the law.
>
> Unfortunate indeed.
>
> Bob
>
> On Wed, Oct 5, 2011 at 7:40 AM, Daniel R. Tobias <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > There have been a bunch of items in my Twitter feed about how the
> > Italian Wikipedia has shut down in response to a proposed repressive
> > law regarding mandatory takedowns of allegedly defamatory online
> > material in Italy.  I have some problems with such a move, as it sets
> > a precedent of having a particular language edition of Wikipedia tied
> > to an uncomfortable degree with the politics of one country just
> > because that's the primary place the language is spoken.  It's always
> > been true that the separate editions of Wikipedia are by language,
> > not country.  The Chinese Wikipedia keeps operating despite the
> > repressive censorship of China, and if that country chooses to block
> > it, that's their problem.  English Wikipedia doesn't belong to
> > England, or America, or any other English-speaking country, though
> > the fact that the primary servers are in the USA does force it to
> > comply to U.S. law.
> >
> > Unless there are servers in Italy, the Italian Wikipedia isn't
> > compelled to follow any Italian law, though there could be
> > consequences for any Italy-based participants if they don't,
> > including the possibility of individuals there being held responsible
> > for what they write or fail to take down, or possible mandatory
> > blockage of the site in that country if they choose to go the "Great
> > Firewall" route.
> >
> > I remember the German Wikipedia being affected at one point by a
> > court injunction, but that only shut down a redirected .de domain,
> > not the site itself as a subdomain of US-registered wikipedia.org.
> >

> > --
> > == Dan ==
> > Dan's Mail Format Site: http://mailformat.dan.info/
> > Dan's Web Tips: http://webtips.dan.info/
> > Dan's Domain Site: http://domains.dan.info/

Re: Italian Wikipedia - probably best discussed on Foundation

Bob the Wikipedian
<facepalm> Just kidding; thanks for the link. :)

Bob