Re: Looking for way to automatically create or update a Page

Re: Looking for way to automatically create or update a Page

Jan Steinman
> From: john boris <[hidden email]>
>
> I have a Wiki page that holds a table of data. I have the data in an Excel
> file and also as a flat ASCI file. I am looking for a way to automate the
> updating of the page so when I make a change to the file on my one system I
> can run the script and it will make the changes on my Wiki.

John, I don't know of a simple way to do that without writing some "glue" code.

However, I am using the SQL2Wiki extension (heavily modified) to maintain data in MySQL (using MyPhpAdmin) and display it in MediaWiki.

Due to the possibility of SQL injection, I do not recommend this for open wikis. I only have trusted users, plus I protect pages with SQL on them, and restrict permissions to SELECT only on the user role that has access from MediaWiki.

Although I don't use it, it is possible to automagically go MySQL <--> Excel using Connector/ODBC.

Here's links to tons of example output:
        http://www.EcoReality.org/wiki/Statistics

You can get SQL2Wiki from the MediaWiki extensions, or I can send you my heavily modified version, which I think is much better. :-)

Jan

On 2014-01-23, at 09:25, [hidden email] wrote:

> From: john boris <[hidden email]>
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: [MediaWiki-l]
>
> I have a Wiki page that holds a table of data. I have the data in an Excel
> file and also as a flat ASCI file. I am looking for a way to automate the
> updating of the page so when I make a change to the file on my one system I
> can run the script and it will make the changes on my Wiki.
>
> If there is a script that can do this can I get a pointer to it? I have
> been searching and haven't found anything.
>
> TIA
>
> --
> John J. Boris, Sr.
> Online Services
> www.onlinesvc.com

:::: As a man may be eating all day, and for want of digestion is never nourished, so these endless readers may cram themselves in vain with intellectual food. -- I. Watts

Re: Looking for way to automatically create or update a Page

john boris
Jan and the list,
Just to let folks know the Wiki is private, behind a few firewalls and no
other person has write access except for me. So this is completely private
and is not accessible on the INternet. I have the capability of storing the
file in a Database if that makes life easier. Currently it is kept on my
legacy system in a flat ascii file.

On Thu, Jan 23, 2014 at 1:04 PM, Jan Steinman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > From: john boris <[hidden email]>
> >
> > I have a Wiki page that holds a table of data. I have the data in an
> Excel
> > file and also as a flat ASCI file. I am looking for a way to automate the
> > updating of the page so when I make a change to the file on my one
> system I
> > can run the script and it will make the changes on my Wiki.
>
> John, I don't know of a simple way to do that without writing some "glue"
> code.
>
> However, I am using the SQL2Wiki extension (heavily modified) to maintain
> data in MySQL (using MyPhpAdmin) and display it in MediaWiki.
>
> Due to the possibility of SQL injection, I do not recommend this for open
> wikis. I only have trusted users, plus I protect pages with SQL on them,
> and restrict permissions to SELECT only on the user role that has access
> from MediaWiki.
>
> Although I don't use it, it is possible to automagically go MySQL <-->
> Excel using Connector/ODBC.
>
> Here's links to tons of example output:
>         http://www.EcoReality.org/wiki/Statistics
>
> You can get SQL2Wiki from the MediaWiki extensions, or I can send you my
> heavily modified version, which I think is much better. :-)
>
> Jan
>
> On 2014-01-23, at 09:25, [hidden email] wrote:
>
> > From: john boris <[hidden email]>
> > To: [hidden email]
> > Subject: [MediaWiki-l]
> >
> > I have a Wiki page that holds a table of data. I have the data in an
> Excel
> > file and also as a flat ASCI file. I am looking for a way to automate the
> > updating of the page so when I make a change to the file on my one
> system I
> > can run the script and it will make the changes on my Wiki.
> >
> > If there is a script that can do this can I get a pointer to it? I have
> > been searching and haven't found anything.
> >
> > TIA
> >
> > --
> > John J. Boris, Sr.
> > Online Services
> > www.onlinesvc.com
>
> :::: As a man may be eating all day, and for want of digestion is never
> nourished, so these endless readers may cram themselves in vain with
> intellectual food. -- I. Watts
> :::: Jan Steinman, EcoReality Co-op ::::

John J. Boris, Sr.
Online Services
www.onlinesvc.com

Re: Looking for way to automatically create or update a Page

John Doe-27
Writing a basic pywikipedia <
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Pywikipediabot> bot to convert the flat
file to wiki should be fairly easy (less than 30
lines of code) and should be the easiest way of doing it

On Thu, Jan 23, 2014 at 1:08 PM, john boris <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> > > updating of the page so when I make a change to the file on my one
> > system I
> > > can run the script and it will make the changes on my Wiki.
> > >
> > > If there is a script that can do this can I get a pointer to it? I have
> > > been searching and haven't found anything.
> > >
> > > TIA
> > >
> > > --
> > > John J. Boris, Sr.
> > > Online Services
> > > www.onlinesvc.com
> >
> > :::: As a man may be eating all day, and for want of digestion is never
> > nourished, so these endless readers may cram themselves in vain with
> > intellectual food. -- I. Watts
> > :::: Jan Steinman, EcoReality Co-op ::::

> John J. Boris, Sr.
> Online Services
> www.onlinesvc.com

Re: Looking for way to automatically create or update a Page

WJhonson

I don't think there is any script to do exactly what you are asking John.

I myself wrote a variety of PHP scripts to strip tables out of Wiki markup pages, and manipulate the contents into other plain HTML tables, with some other tweaks, and a bit of JavaScript thrown in for giggles (OK to sort on the fly but you know.)

It wouldn't be more than a few hours, to make the table rewrite in CSV

BUT you need to be able to code in all that natively yourself :)

On 2014-01-23, at 09:25, [hidden email] wrote:

> From: john boris <[hidden email]>
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: [MediaWiki-l]
>
> I have a Wiki page that holds a table of data. I have the data in an Excel
> file and also as a flat ASCI file. I am looking for a way to automate the
> updating of the page so when I make a change to the file on my one system I
> can run the script and it will make the changes on my Wiki.
>
> If there is a script that can do this can I get a pointer to it? I have
> been searching and haven't found anything.
>
> TIA
>
> --
> John J. Boris, Sr.
> Online Services
> www.onlinesvc.com

:::: As a man may be eating all day, and for want of digestion is never
nourished, so these endless readers may cram themselves in vain with
intellectual food. -- I. Watts

Re: Looking for way to automatically create or update a Page

lee worden
WorkingWiki [1] is not a lightweight tool, and needs you to be
assertively in control of your site's security, but can definitely do
this.  You would just need to add a one- or two-line make rule to your
wiki page.

[1] http://lalashan.mcmaster.ca/theobio/projects/index.php/WorkingWiki

>> >From: john boris<[hidden email]>
>> >
>> >I have a Wiki page that holds a table of data. I have the data in an Excel
>> >file and also as a flat ASCI file. I am looking for a way to automate the
>> >updating of the page so when I make a change to the file on my one system I
>> >can run the script and it will make the changes on my Wiki.

Re: Looking for way to automatically create or update a Page

lee worden
WorkingWiki [1] is not a lightweight tool, and needs you to be
assertively in control of your site's security, but can definitely do
this.  You would just need to add a one- or two-line make rule to your
wiki page.  I can provide more info if wanted.