Re: MediaWiki 1.32 is End of Life

Jeffrey Walton
On Thu, Jan 23, 2020 at 2:48 PM Sam Reed <[hidden email]> wrote:

> As per the MediaWiki version life cycle [1], I would like to announce the
> formal end of life (EOL) of MediaWiki 1.32 as of tomorrow, Friday January
> 24, 2019.
>
> This means that MediaWiki 1.32 will no longer receive maintenance or
> security backports. It is therefore strongly discouraged that you continue
> to use it.
>
> It is recommended to upgrade to MediaWiki 1.34 (due to become EOL in
> November 2020), or less preferably to MediaWiki 1.33 (due to become EOL in
> June 2020). The current Long Term Support (LTS) version of MediaWiki,
> MediaWiki 1.31, is older (and downgrading is not supported), though the
> next LTS (MediaWiki 1.35) is due to be released in June 2020, and will be
> supported until June 2023.
>
> MediaWiki 1.33 has the same supported PHP version of 7.0 (which is itself
> unsupported upstream), in case you need longer to upgrade your systems.
> MediaWiki 1.34 requires PHP 7.2.9 or later.

This puts some folks in a bad position.

The latest CentOS 7 does not support the versions of Python and PHP
required, even with Software Collections (SCL) enabled.

(In hindsight a Red Hat-based VM was a bad decision. It ships with
antique software, and SCL only provides old software. We need modern
software, and should have selected a Fedora or Ubuntu VM).

Jeff

Re: MediaWiki 1.32 is End of Life

Andre Klapper-2
On Thu, 2020-01-23 at 17:20 -0500, Jeffrey Walton wrote:
> This puts some folks in a bad position.
>
> The latest CentOS 7 does not support the versions of Python

There is no Python requirement, as far as I'm aware.

> and PHP required, even with Software Collections (SCL) enabled.

If you already run an LTS distro then you probably also [want to] use a
MediaWiki LTS version. 1.31 will be supported until approx June 2021.

andre
--
Andre Klapper (he/him) | Bugwrangler / Developer Advocate
https://blogs.gnome.org/aklapper/

Re: MediaWiki 1.32 is End of Life

jaquilina
Hi guys,

Not sure about python, but if you install the remi repo you can get php 7.3. I have it for something not MW related

Regards,
Jonathan

On Thu, Jan 23, 2020 at 2:48 PM Sam Reed <[hidden email]> wrote:

> As per the MediaWiki version life cycle [1], I would like to announce
> the formal end of life (EOL) of MediaWiki 1.32 as of tomorrow, Friday
> January 24, 2019.
>
> This means that MediaWiki 1.32 will no longer receive maintenance or
> security backports. It is therefore strongly discouraged that you
> continue to use it.
>
> It is recommended to upgrade to MediaWiki 1.34 (due to become EOL in
> November 2020), or less preferably to MediaWiki 1.33 (due to become
> EOL in June 2020). The current Long Term Support (LTS) version of
> MediaWiki, MediaWiki 1.31, is older (and downgrading is not
> supported), though the next LTS (MediaWiki 1.35) is due to be released
> in June 2020, and will be supported until June 2023.
>
> MediaWiki 1.33 has the same supported PHP version of 7.0 (which is
> itself unsupported upstream), in case you need longer to upgrade your systems.
> MediaWiki 1.34 requires PHP 7.2.9 or later.

This puts some folks in a bad position.

The latest CentOS 7 does not support the versions of Python and PHP required, even with Software Collections (SCL) enabled.

(In hindsight a Red Hat-based VM was a bad decision. It ships with antique software, and SCL only provides old software. We need modern software, and should have selected a Fedora or Ubuntu VM).

Jeff

Re: MediaWiki 1.32 is End of Life

sabretache
Per other replies about php version requirements and the putative
difficulties involved for Redhat OS users, I am left wondering about how
important the stated Mediawiki php version requirements really are.

My wondering is prompted by the fact that both Wikipedia and the few
other MW foundation sites I have checked, are all running MW1.35.0
while still on php 7.2.26. Whereas the stated php minimum version
requirement for the current latest stable MW1.34 is php 7.2.9.

Probably a simple explanation but as a Centos 7 OS user, I am confused.

Peter Presland

On 23/01/2020 22:20, Jeffrey Walton wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 23, 2020 at 2:48 PM Sam Reed <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> As per the MediaWiki version life cycle [1], I would like to announce the
>> formal end of life (EOL) of MediaWiki 1.32 as of tomorrow, Friday January
>> 24, 2019.
>>
>> This means that MediaWiki 1.32 will no longer receive maintenance or
>> security backports. It is therefore strongly discouraged that you continue
>> to use it.
>>
>> It is recommended to upgrade to MediaWiki 1.34 (due to become EOL in
>> November 2020), or less preferably to MediaWiki 1.33 (due to become EOL in
>> June 2020). The current Long Term Support (LTS) version of MediaWiki,
>> MediaWiki 1.31, is older (and downgrading is not supported), though the
>> next LTS (MediaWiki 1.35) is due to be released in June 2020, and will be
>> supported until June 2023.
>>
>> MediaWiki 1.33 has the same supported PHP version of 7.0 (which is itself
>> unsupported upstream), in case you need longer to upgrade your systems.
>> MediaWiki 1.34 requires PHP 7.2.9 or later.
> This puts some folks in a bad position.
>
> The latest CentOS 7 does not support the versions of Python and PHP
> required, even with Software Collections (SCL) enabled.
>
> (In hindsight a Red Hat-based VM was a bad decision. It ships with
> antique software, and SCL only provides old software. We need modern
> software, and should have selected a Fedora or Ubuntu VM).
>
> Jeff

Re: MediaWiki 1.32 is End of Life

Pascal GREGIS
Isn't php 7.2.26 superior to 7.2.9? It looks pretty logical to me but maybe I haven't understood correctly what you mean.

Pascal

Peter Presland a écrit, le vendredi 24 janvier 2020 à 16:52:02 :

> Per other replies about php version requirements and the putative
> difficulties involved for Redhat OS users, I am left wondering about how
> important the stated Mediawiki php version requirements really are.
>
> My wondering is prompted by the fact that both Wikipedia and the few
> other MW foundation sites I have checked, are all running MW1.35.0
> while still on php 7.2.26. Whereas the stated php minimum version
> requirement for the current latest stable MW1.34 is php 7.2.9.
>
> Probably a simple explanation but as a Centos 7 OS user, I am confused.
>
> Peter Presland
>
> On 23/01/2020 22:20, Jeffrey Walton wrote:
> > On Thu, Jan 23, 2020 at 2:48 PM Sam Reed <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >> As per the MediaWiki version life cycle [1], I would like to announce the
> >> formal end of life (EOL) of MediaWiki 1.32 as of tomorrow, Friday January
> >> 24, 2019.
> >>
> >> This means that MediaWiki 1.32 will no longer receive maintenance or
> >> security backports. It is therefore strongly discouraged that you continue
> >> to use it.
> >>
> >> It is recommended to upgrade to MediaWiki 1.34 (due to become EOL in
> >> November 2020), or less preferably to MediaWiki 1.33 (due to become EOL in
> >> June 2020). The current Long Term Support (LTS) version of MediaWiki,
> >> MediaWiki 1.31, is older (and downgrading is not supported), though the
> >> next LTS (MediaWiki 1.35) is due to be released in June 2020, and will be
> >> supported until June 2023.
> >>
> >> MediaWiki 1.33 has the same supported PHP version of 7.0 (which is itself
> >> unsupported upstream), in case you need longer to upgrade your systems.
> >> MediaWiki 1.34 requires PHP 7.2.9 or later.
> > This puts some folks in a bad position.
> >
> > The latest CentOS 7 does not support the versions of Python and PHP
> > required, even with Software Collections (SCL) enabled.
> >
> > (In hindsight a Red Hat-based VM was a bad decision. It ships with
> > antique software, and SCL only provides old software. We need modern
> > software, and should have selected a Fedora or Ubuntu VM).
> >
> > Jeff

Re: MediaWiki 1.32 is End of Life

sabretache
Yes. You're right. Sorry about that.

However, the other reply from James Forrester is  useful.

Peter P