Re: [Mediawiki-i18n] [Wikitech-l] An update on localisation inMediaWiki

Re: [Mediawiki-i18n] [Wikitech-l] An update on localisation inMediaWiki

Siebrand Mazeland
Hi Stacey,

great suggestion to have context hints for messages. Niklas thought the same thing a few days ago and implemented it. Now we need 'people in the know' to document them. The hints are being displayed when editing messages.

We keep the messages in a language code assigned to 'local' in ISO 639-3, 'qqq'. An overview of currently documented messages, that can be edited by everyone with the role 'translator' can be found here:

If you already have editing rights, you can see the hints in action on http://translatewiki.net/w/?title=MediaWiki:Ogg-long-audio/de&action=edit

It is of course a huge task to document everything, but if we all pitch in, it's only 3600 pieces of documentation ;)

We are still thinking if we should commit the message documentation at some point... Especially because those developers may edit MessagesQqq.php and definately not edit in Betawiki.

Cheers! Siebrand

Re: [Mediawiki-i18n] [Wikitech-l] An update on localisation inMediaWiki

Stacey Doljack Borsody
Awesome.  The messages with variables (and messages used as variables in other messages) should be targeted first for documentation.  Those are the most confusing.

.s