Re: More fine-grained moderation interface?

Re: More fine-grained moderation interface?

Monahon, Peter B.
> Earlier: There's quite a bit of call for ...
> stronger rule on wikien-l, and the listmods
> would be very happy to put this into action...

Peter Blaise ALWAYS responds:  May I courteously suggest that those of
us who have NO PROBLEM operating our own inbox filters, and our own
scroll down arrow keys, and our own delete keys, probably outnumber the
ones who call for someone else to do that kind of filtering for them.

More importantly, I object to ANYONE filtering my inbox of anything but
spam for me under the guise that they are doing me a favor.

All I expect any moderator to do is prevent or delete spam, delete and
warn about off topic posts (pretty much like spam, actually), and then
relax and let me do my own reading, searching, sorting, and selecting.

There are many threads I am not interested in, however, I do not expect
any moderator to delete those threads just because they don't suit my
interests today.  May I (perennially) suggest that others who feel
burdened by threads that they are not interested in get over it.  Scroll
on.

However, if anyone, including a moderator, wants anyone else to write
and contribute differently, please, by all means, set an example of the
kinds of posts you prefer, and contact the person you find offensive on
or off list to resolve the misunderstanding.  Email is perennially
accosted as delivering errant emotive messages, and banning has never
resolved anything.  We end up endlessly discussing the fine tuning of
any banning rules, discussions which I find even more repulsive than the
posts objected to in the first place!

Scroll on!

Re: More fine-grained moderation interface?

Rob Church
On 25/10/2007, Monahon, Peter B. <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Earlier: There's quite a bit of call for ...
> > stronger rule on wikien-l, and the listmods
> > would be very happy to put this into action...
>
> Peter Blaise ALWAYS responds:  May I courteously suggest that those of
> us who have NO PROBLEM operating our own inbox filters, and our own
> scroll down arrow keys, and our own delete keys, probably outnumber the
> ones who call for someone else to do that kind of filtering for them.

May I courteously suggest that, unless you have some real experience
dealing with the kind of firehose of complete shit that I understand
enters the English Wikipedia moderation queue on a regular basis, you
courteously refrain from frivolous, "there is no problem" posts with
subtle, "zomg, censorship!!1!" undertones?

Rob Church