Re: Official Spokespersons for each Indian Language Wiki community

Re: Official Spokespersons for each Indian Language Wiki community

Shiju Alex
Thanks Ravi for bringing up this topic. I sent a similar mail regarding this some time back.

Now a days many so called "wikipedians" are popping up here and there claiming themselves as the spokesperson of different Indian language wikis. The irony is that none of the Wiki language communities are aware about these types of developments. And some of these spokespersons doesn't even have an account in the respective language wiki.

I know that Wiki editing and Wiki advocacy are two different topics. But we, contributors to different language wikipedias, doesn't want some one outside the Language community taking the responsibility of spokesperson with out our knowledge.

It is a good idea to appoint a team of active wikians for each language as the official Spokespersons/contact persons. Let each Wiki language community decide how it should be represented outside.

Shiju

On Mon, Feb 22, 2010 at 2:25 AM, Ravi shankar <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

Recently we came to know that a fraud guy has been claiming himself to be the "head" of Tamil Wiki and a director for yet-to-be-formed Indian Wikimedia chapter. He has been doing this at many places including Govt circles. This was a shock for us. I would like to warn a similar possibility for all other Indian Wikis.

I recommend that each Wiki start a mechanism to officially elect few official Spokespersons / contact persons and spread the word about this selection. The appointment can be cycled every few months to share responsibility with more members. These need not be just the sysops / bureaucrats. They can be anyone trust worthy, long serving the community, having fair idea of Wiki organization and easy to cooperate and communicate with.

Ravi.

http://ravidreams.com/

Re: Official Spokespersons for each Indian Language Wiki community

Srikanth Ramakrishnan
And the press is sensationalist enough to accept any crap... I mean, they've interviewed us, spoken to us, covered our meetups so many times, why THE HELL can't they understand we're all EQUAL?? And if there really was any head, why the hell don't we do chamchagiri with him?
I guess this can be discussed at the Malayalam Wikipedia and at Bangalore on 14th before we hold a vote online eh?

On 22 February 2010 10:20, YellowMonkey <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Your friend in time,

Cherian/Srikanth/R/

Wikipedia on YOUR MIND? Join us on Twitter....

Re: Official Spokespersons for each Indian Language Wiki community

Jyothis Edathoot
I think a sub page of metawiki page for the wikimedia India could be a
better page to discuss multi-wiki things than having it in many
places.

Individual wikis may hold the vote for their spokes person/rep and
report it back in Meta pages.

Regards,
Jyothis.

http://www.Jyothis.net

http://ml.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Jyothis

woods are lovely dark and deep,
but i have promises to keep and
miles to go before i sleep and
lines to go before I press sleep

completion date = (start date + ((estimated effort x 3.1415926) /
resources) + ((total coffee breaks x 0.25) / 24)) + Effort in meetings

On Mon, Feb 22, 2010 at 1:33 AM, Srikanth Ramakrishnan
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> And the press is sensationalist enough to accept any crap... I mean, they've
> interviewed us, spoken to us, covered our meetups so many times, why THE
> HELL can't they understand we're all EQUAL?? And if there really was any
> head, why the hell don't we do chamchagiri with him?
> I guess this can be discussed at the Malayalam Wikipedia and at Bangalore on
> 14th before we hold a vote online eh?
>
> On 22 February 2010 10:20, YellowMonkey <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> And this conman who should be avoided, his name is ......
>>
>> On Mon, Feb 22, 2010 at 12:38 PM, Shiju Alex <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Thanks Ravi for bringing up this topic. I sent a similar mail regarding
>>> this some time back.
>>>
>>> Now a days many so called "wikipedians" are popping up here and there
>>> claiming themselves as the spokesperson of different Indian language wikis.
>>> The irony is that none of the Wiki language communities are aware about
>>> these types of developments. And some of these spokespersons doesn't even
>>> have an account in the respective language wiki.
>>>

>>> I know that Wiki editing and Wiki advocacy are two different topics. But
>>> we, contributors to different language wikipedias, doesn't want some one
>>> outside the Language community taking the responsibility of spokesperson
>>> with out our knowledge.
>>>

>>> It is a good idea to appoint a team of active wikians for each language
>>> as the official Spokespersons/contact persons. Let each Wiki language
>>> community decide how it should be represented outside.
>>>

>>> Shiju

> Regards,
>
> Your friend in time,
>
> Cherian/Srikanth/R/
>
> Wikipedia on YOUR MIND? Join us on Twitter....

Re: Official Spokespersons for each Indian Language Wiki community

Shiju Alex
Yes.

As Jyothis suggested, we can create a sub page for the wikimedia India page in Meta Wiki for coordinating this effort. Let the  respective language community decide how and who should represent them outside wiki.

Shiju

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> And the press is sensationalist enough to accept any crap... I mean, they've
> interviewed us, spoken to us, covered our meetups so many times, why THE
> HELL can't they understand we're all EQUAL?? And if there really was any
> head, why the hell don't we do chamchagiri with him?
> I guess this can be discussed at the Malayalam Wikipedia and at Bangalore on
> 14th before we hold a vote online eh?
>
> On 22 February 2010 10:20, YellowMonkey <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> And this conman who should be avoided, his name is ......
>>
>> On Mon, Feb 22, 2010 at 12:38 PM, Shiju Alex <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Thanks Ravi for bringing up this topic. I sent a similar mail regarding
>>> this some time back.
>>>
>>> Now a days many so called "wikipedians" are popping up here and there
>>> claiming themselves as the spokesperson of different Indian language wikis.
>>> The irony is that none of the Wiki language communities are aware about
>>> these types of developments. And some of these spokespersons doesn't even
>>> have an account in the respective language wiki.
>>>

>>> I know that Wiki editing and Wiki advocacy are two different topics. But
>>> we, contributors to different language wikipedias, doesn't want some one
>>> outside the Language community taking the responsibility of spokesperson
>>> with out our knowledge.
>>>

>>> It is a good idea to appoint a team of active wikians for each language
>>> as the official Spokespersons/contact persons. Let each Wiki language
>>> community decide how it should be represented outside.
>>>

>>> Shiju

> Regards,
>
> Your friend in time,
>
> Cherian/Srikanth/R/
>
> Wikipedia on YOUR MIND? Join us on Twitter....

Re: Official Spokespersons for each Indian Language Wiki community

Ravi shankar-12
Hi Shiju,

I agree Wiki editing and Wiki advocacy are two different things. Even for the Global Wikimedia Foundation not all advisers and promoters are active wiki editors. But both these kind of people should have been introduced to each other, have good faith and act in total sync.

Regarding Tamil Wiki case, this fraud guy hasn't made a single edit in Ta wiki. Not sure if he has a user account and he never passed any information to the community of what he was doing in the name of Tamil wiki. This is unacceptable.

As you noted, we are also carefully watching active interest regarding wiki from various corners. Reasons to watch:

1. To protect from vested interests. Many have their own selfishness, agenda.

2. To ensure organic growth and evolution of Wikis.

If some NPO / Govt is going to donate 1 lakh articles to our wikis, it hears so sweet. But the reality it is so hard to ensure wiki standards, formats, prinicples if so many articles come at a single time from people who don't understand what is wiki. Slow and steady can be better sometimes.

Wikipedia is not just the number of articles, funds etc., Any sort of good contribution can only come from who understands the nature and spirit of Wiki philosophy. The increase in articles and active wikipedians should follow a similar growth rate to ensure the usefulness of wiki. I strongly believe wiki is driven by the philosophy and contributors who adhere to it.

Hi Yellow Monkey,

For diplomatic reasons I can't name the man in public. Many of the Indic Wikipedians are aware of the issue and may share the name privately during meetups. The point is World has enough conmans and we should be prepared :)

Hi Srikanth,

Wiki / open source has a very different working culture from all projects in earth :) people have difficulty understanding it. People are so used to work under some big leader, many small leaders :) Wiki is as much a cultural revolution as a knowledge revolution.

Hi Jyothis,

Yes, a Wikimedia subpage will be good to document contact persons across all Indic Wikipedias.

Regarding the mechanism for election in Tamil Wikipedia:

Considering the urgency of the situation, we just proposed a initial set of 12 long serving wikipedians (including non-sysops) across different states and countries. And they were all elected unanimously with a single election until this year end. Among them 5 have been given the responsibility to conduct talks with Govt if needed.

Later, we will draft formal procedures and qualifications for this responsibility like we do for sysop elections. We also plan to rotate the responsibilities among us and include all who are genuinely interested.

Ravi