Re: Question: "UK" versus <s>regional</s> national branding

Re: Question: "UK" versus <s>regional</s> national branding

WereSpielChequers-2
I've worked in organisations that did this, and I've seen it both succeed and fail.

The pitfalls are that you need economies of scale for it to work, different things work in different places and some areas are far more motivated by this than others. Scotland, Wales and Yorkshire are three places where getting this right can make a particularly big difference.

In Wales the key thing is to be bilingual in your written communications, and that today includes your website. A great thing to test in the fundraiser would be the option for a Welsh language donation page.

Superficial localisation such as adding a tartan border but still using a London address can do more harm than good.

WereSpielChequers

On 13 September 2011 12:16, Tom Morris <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Tue, Sep 13, 2011 at 09:22, Fae <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Are there any views for or against using an image of "Wikimedia in
> Scotland" rather than just the WM-UK logo? My concern is that some
> will resist joining in a "UK" branded programme but would rush to
> support a country specific initiative. If it gets better results, we
> could follow a similar pattern for Wales and avoid appearing to push
> "UK" in every document (or teeshirt).

Reductio ad absurdum:

Unless it says "Wikimedia East Sussex", I'm not interested! ;-)

--
Tom Morris
<http://tommorris.org/>

Re: Question: "UK" versus <s>regional</s> national branding

Fae-6
Oops, good correction to the thread title. How London-centric I must
seem to consider everywhere else the "regions"...

Cheers,
Fae
--
http://enwp.org/user_talk:fae