Re:Re: Confusing Interwiki Links

dominik.bach
this works for me. But isn't it a little too technical for the ordinary user?

Dominik

Add the following into your user CSS (e.g. [[User:Dominik/monobook.css]]):

.interwiki-en { font-weight: bold }
.interwiki-ca,
.interwiki-bs,
.interwiki-ko { display: none }

(of course, customize the language codes according to your wishes)

HTH,

-- [[cs:User:Mormegil | Petr Kadlec]]

Re: Re:Re: Confusing Interwiki Links

Mormegil
On 1/23/06, Dominik Bach <[hidden email]> wrote:

> this works for me. But isn't it a little too technical for the ordinary
> user?

Customization features always present a dilemma -- as you are adding more
and more possibilities for a bit more advanced user to tune, you are
complicating the software for an "ordinary user". Yes, you are right, you
could add an option "[x] Make English interwiki bold". Or, you could add
"Make those interwikis bold: [en, de]", which is more flexible, but more
complicated (how should a beginner know that English is en and German is
de?). And then, someone asks "I would rather like to have that in italics,
not bold." So, you add another checkbox, etc. Every further customization
possibility is at the cost of the simplicity and ease of use.

So, _my_ opinion is that this feature would not be used that much it should
be a first-class option available in the GUI. Any user that would want such
behaviour would IMHO be advanced enough not to be scared by a piece of CSS.

But, of course, if you disagree, you are free to fill a feature request in
MediaZilla (http://bugzilla.wikimedia.org/).

-- [[cs:User:Mormegil | Petr Kadlec]]