Re: Schools projects - evening courses

WereSpielChequers-2
My Mum is active in her local branch of the University of the third
age, they struck me as a perfect partner for such an evening course.
Especially if the UK chapter were to offer the U3A a grant for hiring
in approved Wikipedians to deliver said course.

But please call it something other than "creating your own wiki page".
Aside from winding up the deletionists,  that risks letting people
think they own a page, or that they can create a page about them. Your
hobby/profession/neighbourhood and Wikipedia would be OK, someone else
will I hope come up with something snazzier.

But this definitely has legs.

We could also make use of a photographers version to explain commons
to local photography clubs.

WereSpielChequers

On 1 June 2011 22:36, Roger Bamkin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Two minor threads: Martin Poulter and I discussed how we could put together
> a teaching plan so that someone like yourself could organise an enevening
> course in "creating your own wiki page" ... not sure whether Martin made any
> progress. I know he was investigating ... I suspect there are a lot of
> people who would like to put their local history work into Wikipedia ... if
> we just explained it and demo ed it at the same time.
>
> Other thread. I teach secondary ICT. I'm planning to teach intro to Wiki
> editting next week. I have still to find some resources. Any help
> appreciated.
>
> regards
> Roger B
>
> On 1 June 2011 17:34, Alex Stinson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> There is an education list
>> at https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/education which appears to
>> be one of the better ways to contact people because not everyone regularly
>> checks outreach wiki (including myself). I invite people to join who want to
>> work with Education and Wikimedia projects, it include a fair number of
>> Campus Ambassadors who are doing innovative stuff at universities as well as
>> a number of other people in various chapters involved in education stuffs,
>> Alex
>>
>> On Wed, Jun 1, 2011 at 5:29 PM, Thomas Morton
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hey Alex,
>>> Yes a lot of that has been my starting point. FWIW there is a lack of
>>> content for the younger age groups (say 14-16) which is where my current
>>> focus is; the "beginner" guides are more suited (at least in my experience
>>> of teaching) to older students. I'd also like to see some more material on
>>> the goals/ideals of Wikipedia (as that seems a better start point before
>>> leaping into account creation :)).
>>>
>>> Also I noticed that a lot of the focus is on editing or contributing
>>> Wikipedia. I've approached this from a slightly different perspective -
>>> which is that most of the kids I will be talking to aren't interested in
>>> writing (and probably aren't yet capable of doing so) a Wikipedia article.
>>> On the other hand I aim to teach them about using WP as a resource (and the
>>> potential pitfalls) as well as trying to get them to treat it with respect
>>> (i.e. quit the vandalism).
>>> Is there a place on Outreach where discussion of education/teaching
>>> materials is happening?
>>> Tom

> Roger Bamkin
> (aka Victuallers)

Re: Schools projects - evening courses

Rod Ward
Local history societies are good sources of enthusiastic amateurs who have
lots of resources for any area (& they often meet in the back rooms of pubs
:-).
I have found they generally want to share the fruits of their labours.

I did a short paper for their journal a few years ago, (see
http://www.balh.co.uk/lhn/article.php?file=lhn-vol1iss81-4.xml for un
formatted version) and they are often looking for speakers willing to attend
their meetings.

Rod

wrote:

schools/education? http://uk.wikimedia.org/wiki/Initiatives/Schools_project
seems
schools and

> Roger Bamkin
> (aka Victuallers)

Re: Schools projects - evening courses

Roger Bamkin
So we need a lead person or project.

Anything that (in time) would have a broader effect than a single evening course would I believe get a good hearing for seed funding/ support

Anyone?
Roger B

On 3 June 2011 14:48, WereSpielChequers <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

>>> focus is; the "beginner" guides are more suited (at least in my experience
>>> of teaching) to older students. I'd also like to see some more material on
>>> the goals/ideals of Wikipedia (as that seems a better start point before
>>> leaping into account creation :)).
>>>
>>> Also I noticed that a lot of the focus is on editing or contributing
>>> Wikipedia. I've approached this from a slightly different perspective -
>>> which is that most of the kids I will be talking to aren't interested in
>>> writing (and probably aren't yet capable of doing so) a Wikipedia article.
>>> On the other hand I aim to teach them about using WP as a resource (and the
>>> potential pitfalls) as well as trying to get them to treat it with respect
>>> (i.e. quit the vandalism).
>>> Is there a place on Outreach where discussion of education/teaching

Roger Bamkin
(aka Victuallers)

Re: Schools projects - evening courses

Thomas Morton
This is an interesting line of thought.

I think a lot could be done with local experts.

I've been talking to my OU lecturer about this and they strike me as another good avenue for doing adult/expert education of Wikipedia.

Tom

On 3 June 2011 16:52, Roger Bamkin <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

>>> focus is; the "beginner" guides are more suited (at least in my experience
>>> of teaching) to older students. I'd also like to see some more material on
>>> the goals/ideals of Wikipedia (as that seems a better start point before
>>> leaping into account creation :)).
>>>
>>> Also I noticed that a lot of the focus is on editing or contributing
>>> Wikipedia. I've approached this from a slightly different perspective -
>>> which is that most of the kids I will be talking to aren't interested in
>>> writing (and probably aren't yet capable of doing so) a Wikipedia article.
>>> On the other hand I aim to teach them about using WP as a resource (and the
>>> potential pitfalls) as well as trying to get them to treat it with respect
>>> (i.e. quit the vandalism).
>>> Is there a place on Outreach where discussion of education/teaching

Roger Bamkin
(aka Victuallers)

Re: Schools projects - evening courses

Roger Bamkin
Tom, WSC

Be Bold if you have time.

@Tom .... would the OU Do this for us? I could see it as a supplemental module to a number of courses.

regards
Roger

On 3 June 2011 22:11, Thomas Morton <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

>>> focus is; the "beginner" guides are more suited (at least in my experience
>>> of teaching) to older students. I'd also like to see some more material on
>>> the goals/ideals of Wikipedia (as that seems a better start point before
>>> leaping into account creation :)).
>>>
>>> Also I noticed that a lot of the focus is on editing or contributing
>>> Wikipedia. I've approached this from a slightly different perspective -
>>> which is that most of the kids I will be talking to aren't interested in
>>> writing (and probably aren't yet capable of doing so) a Wikipedia article.
>>> On the other hand I aim to teach them about using WP as a resource (and the
>>> potential pitfalls) as well as trying to get them to treat it with respect
>>> (i.e. quit the vandalism).
>>> Is there a place on Outreach where discussion of education/teaching

Roger Bamkin
(aka Victuallers)

Roger Bamkin
(aka Victuallers)

Re: Schools projects - evening courses

brian.mcneil-2
Has anyone been in touch with User:jbmurray regarding his use of
Wikipedia in academia?

I know he's not in the UK, but it may be useful to put curious or
interested UK academics in touch with him. I suspect he could highlight
a lot of things to avoid, plus extol the educational virtues of getting
students to contribute.

Brian McNeil.
--
[hidden email] | Wikinews Accredited Reporter.
http://en.wikinews.org | http://www.wikinewsie.org