Re: Stopping the presses: Britannica to stop printing books

Re: Stopping the presses: Britannica to stop printing books

Neil Babbage
I think what you might be remembering is that they used to sell them via a sales force who went door to door. They announced a few years back that they were stopping that.

Re: Stopping the presses: Britannica to stop printing books

Chris Keating-2
> I think what you might be remembering is that they used to sell them via a
> sales force who went door to door. They announced a few years back that
> they were stopping that.

And, indeed, it was the reliance on the sales force that killed off
Britannica in the late-80s/early-90s when Encarta came along...

http://www.kellogg.northwestern.edu/faculty/greenstein/images/htm/Research/Cases/EncyclopaediaBritannica.pdf