Re : Translating wikipedia articles using OmegaT - Q&A chat

Re : Translating wikipedia articles using OmegaT - Q&A chat

louis bodo
Hello Sabine,

This is a second note to you ref OmegaT
Please let me know the following:
1. Is this program applicable to translating into Hungarian ?
2. Does it have signifcant advantages ?
3. Is it too complicated ?

Regards, Louis

Re: Re : Translating wikipedia articles using OmegaT - Q&A chat

Sabine Cretella
Hi Louis,
> 1. Is this program applicable to translating into Hungarian ?
Yes
> 2. Does it have signifcant advantages ?
It depends from the articles you translate and if you also translate
updates.
- If you translate similar articles where sentences are very similar or
the same, you will find them translated. One example where I often
use/used it (I don't have much time lately) is the translation of the
Calendar pages. With some special segmentation rules (they are easy to
set - I can help you there) you will find quite a good amount of text
translated the more you do. Example: there are so many presidents of the
United States, so many Italian painters, so many German writers, so many
... so if you have the entry "[[Name of the person]], German writer "
you will find German writer automatically translated.
- If you translate a page and in a second moment you want to update the
text with the re-elaborated one from another project you simply use the
translation memory created with the first version. So all changes show
up and all that remains equal will become automatically translated or
the potential translation will be proposed by th software. So you save a
lot of time by not having to compare the text manually.
> 3. Is it too complicated ?
That depends on what you understand with complicated. Normally after a
first page you know the basics and then, according to what you want/need
to translate you learn the specific options. It is not more complicated
like any other new software. Some people just took the software and
started with a file and did not even have questions, other people that
are worrying a bit more about how to do things before they actually do
them - these are normally the people that need a bit more time.

I wrote an how to for Persian - and that is valid also for any other
language:
http://wordsandmore.org/index.php?title=Wordsandmore:Persian_wikipedia_contents_creation#How_to.3F.3F.3F

You can find me in several chat-rooms - just giving two of them:
irc://irc.freenode.net/wikimedia-translation
irc://irc.freenode.net/wiktionaryz

Btw. there is a WikiRead/WikiWrite feature being programmed - for now we
don't have an exact time scale when it is ready, but I will let you know
sending an e-mail to the list.

If you have further questions: just contact me by mail, chat or skype
(sabinecretella)

Have a great evening!

Sabine