Quantcast

Re: Translators-l Digest, Vol 141, Issue 20

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
2 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Translators-l Digest, Vol 141, Issue 20

Maha Badr

Dear All;


I need to start translate from Arabic to English and English to Arabic . please can any one guide me .


Thanks & Best Regards

Maha Badr




From: Translators-l <[hidden email]> on behalf of [hidden email] <[hidden email]>
Sent: Monday, April 17, 2017 2:00 PM
To: [hidden email]
Subject: Translators-l Digest, Vol 141, Issue 20
 
Send Translators-l mailing list submissions to
        [hidden email]

To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
        https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/translators-l
or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
        [hidden email]

You can reach the person managing the list at
        [hidden email]

When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
than "Re: Contents of Translators-l digest..."


Today's Topics:

   1. Re: Automated translation not working? (Philippe Verdy)


----------------------------------------------------------------------

Message: 1
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2017 13:17:37 +0200
From: Philippe Verdy <[hidden email]>
To: Bjoern Hassler <bjohas+[hidden email]>
Cc: Wikimedia Translators <[hidden email]>
Subject: Re: [Translators-l] Automated translation not working?
Message-ID:
        <[hidden email]>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"

You did not specify which source page are you trying to translate, and on
which wiki.... Then we can look at the target of your translation attempt.

Your provided this link:
<a href="https://de.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Spezial:Inhalts%" id="LPlnk387775" previewremoved="true">https://de.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Spezial:Inhalts%
C3%BCbersetzung&page=Biniai+Nou+hypogea&from=en&to=de&
targettitle=Biniai+Nou+hypogea

But the German Wikipedia does not have any page named "Biniai Nou hypogea".
You are probably trying to find this page on the wrong wiki ! Translations
are made wiki by wiki, but are enabled essentially on multilingual wikis
(such as Commons, or Meta), not on Wikipedia (translations of pages between
separate editions of Wikipedia cannot use the same tools)

2017-04-17 9:26 GMT+02:00 Bjoern Hassler <bjohas+[hidden email]>:

> Hi Philippe,
>
> many thanks.
>
> Do you mean e.g. on <a href="https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spezial:Inhalts%C3%" id="LPlnk438084" previewremoved="true"> https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spezial:Inhalts%C3%
> BCbersetzung ? I don't see a yellow box? There is "Von einer beliebigen
> Sprache / In eine beliebige Sprache", but that lists English/German in both.
>
> In any case - are you basically saying that English <-> German could be
> enabled?
>
> Many thanks!
> Bjoern
>
>
>
> On 16 April 2017 at 21:38, Philippe Verdy <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> This is displayed in the top header (yellow box) which lsits the
>> "proiritized" languages. Anyway there's another setting (not displayed)
>> that disallow other translations (this was discussed recently when someone
>> created a page to translate ONLY in minority languages, exclusing all other
>> major languages than the source English).
>>
>> Experience shows that (espacially for minory languages that very few
>> translators available, many of them not being very fluent in English) we
>> need to always enable other languages thant English to help disambiguate
>> the English source so that translators for minority languages can see
>> translations proposed in other major languages and that are better
>> reviewed, in order to provide better translations not just based on the
>> English source but also on what they can better read and understand in
>> another language.
>>
>> I must confess that I see no reason to exclude any language (except old
>> compatibility languages whose use is no longer recommanded, and which may
>> be configured globally, only if there's other choices of language codes:
>> those compatibility codes will finally be redirected to new ones or locked
>> down).
>>
>> And for the ~15 major languages of the world (that are used as lingua
>> francas for regional or national interchanges) they should never be
>> disabled (notably because they are already used as fallback languages for
>> missing translations in minority languages). For a list of fallback
>> languages (that should never be disabled), see for example what is
>> implemented in Commons and MetaWiki; this is more than just English which
>> is only the last-chance fallback ! The list of fallbacks was first
>> implemtend as templates ,then as modules, and now as part of global wiki
>> configuration (and part now of MediaWiki itself with its API).
>>
>>
>> 2017-04-16 13:15 GMT+02:00 Bjoern Hassler <bjohas+[hidden email]>:
>>
>>> Thanks! How do I find out which language pairs are enabled?
>>>
>>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> Translators-l mailing list
>> [hidden email]
>> https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/translators-l

>>
>>
>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <https://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/translators-l/attachments/20170417/838c4d80/attachment-0001.html>

------------------------------

Subject: Digest Footer

_______________________________________________
Translators-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/translators-l


------------------------------

End of Translators-l Digest, Vol 141, Issue 20
**********************************************

_______________________________________________
Translators-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/translators-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Translators-l Digest, Vol 141, Issue 20

Haytham Abulela ALY
Hi Maha,
Could please clarify if your question is regarding translation as a career or translating Wikipedia articles?

On Mon, Apr 17, 2017 at 09:11, Maha Badr <[hidden email]> wrote:

Dear All;


I need to start translate from Arabic to English and English to Arabic . please can any one guide me .


Thanks & Best Regards

Maha Badr




From: Translators-l <[hidden email]> on behalf of [hidden email] <[hidden email]>
Sent: Monday, April 17, 2017 2:00 PM
To: [hidden email]
Subject: Translators-l Digest, Vol 141, Issue 20
 
Send Translators-l mailing list submissions to
        [hidden email]

To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
        https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/translators-l
or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
        [hidden email]

You can reach the person managing the list at
        [hidden email]

When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
than "Re: Contents of Translators-l digest..."


Today's Topics:

   1. Re: Automated translation not working? (Philippe Verdy)


----------------------------------------------------------------------

Message: 1
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2017 13:17:37 +0200
From: Philippe Verdy <[hidden email]>
To: Bjoern Hassler <[hidden email]>
Cc: Wikimedia Translators <[hidden email]>
Subject: Re: [Translators-l] Automated translation not working?
Message-ID:
        <[hidden email]>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"

You did not specify which source page are you trying to translate, and on
which wiki.... Then we can look at the target of your translation attempt.

Your provided this link:
<a href="https://de.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Spezial:Inhalts%" id="m_3939505493249808351LPlnk387775" target="_blank">https://de.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Spezial:Inhalts%
C3%BCbersetzung&page=Biniai+Nou+hypogea&from=en&to=de&
targettitle=Biniai+Nou+hypogea

But the German Wikipedia does not have any page named "Biniai Nou hypogea".
You are probably trying to find this page on the wrong wiki ! Translations
are made wiki by wiki, but are enabled essentially on multilingual wikis
(such as Commons, or Meta), not on Wikipedia (translations of pages between
separate editions of Wikipedia cannot use the same tools)

2017-04-17 9:26 GMT+02:00 Bjoern Hassler <[hidden email]>:

> Hi Philippe,
>
> many thanks.
>
> Do you mean e.g. on <a href="https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spezial:Inhalts%C3%" id="m_3939505493249808351LPlnk438084" target="_blank"> https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spezial:Inhalts%C3%
> BCbersetzung ? I don't see a yellow box? There is "Von einer beliebigen
> Sprache / In eine beliebige Sprache", but that lists English/German in both.
>
> In any case - are you basically saying that English <-> German could be
> enabled?
>
> Many thanks!
> Bjoern
>
>
>
> On 16 April 2017 at 21:38, Philippe Verdy <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> This is displayed in the top header (yellow box) which lsits the
>> "proiritized" languages. Anyway there's another setting (not displayed)
>> that disallow other translations (this was discussed recently when someone
>> created a page to translate ONLY in minority languages, exclusing all other
>> major languages than the source English).
>>
>> Experience shows that (espacially for minory languages that very few
>> translators available, many of them not being very fluent in English) we
>> need to always enable other languages thant English to help disambiguate
>> the English source so that translators for minority languages can see
>> translations proposed in other major languages and that are better
>> reviewed, in order to provide better translations not just based on the
>> English source but also on what they can better read and understand in
>> another language.
>>
>> I must confess that I see no reason to exclude any language (except old
>> compatibility languages whose use is no longer recommanded, and which may
>> be configured globally, only if there's other choices of language codes:
>> those compatibility codes will finally be redirected to new ones or locked
>> down).
>>
>> And for the ~15 major languages of the world (that are used as lingua
>> francas for regional or national interchanges) they should never be
>> disabled (notably because they are already used as fallback languages for
>> missing translations in minority languages). For a list of fallback
>> languages (that should never be disabled), see for example what is
>> implemented in Commons and MetaWiki; this is more than just English which
>> is only the last-chance fallback ! The list of fallbacks was first
>> implemtend as templates ,then as modules, and now as part of global wiki
>> configuration (and part now of MediaWiki itself with its API).
>>
>>
>> 2017-04-16 13:15 GMT+02:00 Bjoern Hassler <[hidden email]>:
>>
>>> Thanks! How do I find out which language pairs are enabled?
>>>
>>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> Translators-l mailing list
>> [hidden email]
>> https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/translators-l
Translators-l Wikimedia Translators. En: This list is for discussing and announcing new translation requests across the Wikimedia projects. Ja: ウィキ ...

>>
>>
>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <https://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/translators-l/attachments/20170417/838c4d80/attachment-0001.html>

------------------------------

Subject: Digest Footer

_______________________________________________
Translators-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/translators-l


------------------------------

End of Translators-l Digest, Vol 141, Issue 20
**********************************************
_______________________________________________
Translators-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/translators-l
--
Sent from Gmail Mobile

_______________________________________________
Translators-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/translators-l
Loading...