Re: UI text translation

KIZU Naoko
Hello all,

For preparing the coming Election, we have to update two MediaWiki
messages, advised Tim Staring.

"Tim Starling" <[hidden email]>  writes:

>So the text could be:
>
> boardvote_notqualified:
You are not qualified to vote in this election. You need to have made
$3 edits before $2, you have made $1. Also, your first edit was at $4,
it needs to be before $5.

> boardvote_notloggedin:
You are not logged in. To vote, you must use an account with at least
$1 contributions before $2, and with a first edit before $3.
(hmmm, that's a new element ...)

Those changes could be done automatically by MediaWiki default, or
not. Anyway, it would be nice to prepare translations of those
messages in my opinion.

Other MediaWiki:Boardvote_* files have not to be changed.

You can see those messages on meta too:
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Election_UI_text_2006

If you feel at ease, you can work on that page.

Kizu Naoko
  Wikiquote: http://wikiquote.org
  * vivemus, mea Lesbia, amemus *

Re: UI text translation

Any File
I have seen other message in the Mediawiki default that have reference
to years 2005 or that have a link to page in meta regarding last year
election.

> Those changes could be done automatically by MediaWiki default, or
> not. Anyway, it would be nice to prepare translations of those
> messages in my opinion.

Would the messaged be inserted in he appropriate language or in English?

Can be the tranlation be centralized, so that one traslation for
language can be done and than porpagate to other projects in the same
language?

For Italian I am now updating the message on wikinews (the only
project I have admin access), but there are some message that I do not
understand exactly where the are used and how.

For instance  boardvote_entry has some part of the textx coment out.
Is it suppose to change  according to the time?

AnyFile

Re: UI text translation

Juan David Ruiz
On 8/30/06, Aphaia <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> For preparing the coming Election, we have to update two MediaWiki
> messages, advised Tim Staring.

Done in spanish wikipedia.

Cheers
--
Zuirdj

Re: UI text translation

Tom Ka Chun Chiu
zh-tw and zh-cn are done.

2006/8/30, Aphaia <[hidden email]>:
Hello all,

For preparing the coming Election, we have to update two MediaWiki
messages, advised Tim Staring.

"Tim Starling" <[hidden email]>  writes:

>So the text could be:
>
> boardvote_notqualified:
You are not qualified to vote in this election. You need to have made
$3 edits before $2, you have made $1. Also, your first edit was at $4,
it needs to be before $5.

> boardvote_notloggedin:
You are not logged in. To vote, you must use an account with at least
$1 contributions before $2, and with a first edit before $3.
(hmmm, that's a new element ...)

Those changes could be done automatically by MediaWiki default, or
not. Anyway, it would be nice to prepare translations of those
messages in my opinion.

Other MediaWiki:Boardvote_* files have not to be changed.

You can see those messages on meta too:
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Election_UI_text_2006

If you feel at ease, you can work on that page.

Kizu Naoko
  Wikiquote: http://wikiquote.org
  * vivemus, mea Lesbia, amemus *

Best Regards
Tom Chiu
mailto:[hidden email] / mailto:[hidden email]
http://www.mimosapudica.org

Re: UI text translation

Ceila Sanchez
One question,
I really don't understand what those messages mean.
Forgive my ignorance...

For preparing the coming Election, we have to update two MediaWiki
messages, advised Tim Staring.

"Tim Starling" <[hidden email]>  writes:

>So the text could be:
>
> boardvote_notqualified:
You are not qualified to vote in this election. You need to have made
$3 edits before $2, you have made $1. Also, your first edit was at $4,
it needs to be before $5.

> boardvote_notloggedin:
You are not logged in. To vote, you must use an account with at least
$1 contributions before $2, and with a first edit before $3.
(hmmm, that's a new element ...)

Those changes could be done automatically by MediaWiki default, or
not. Anyway, it would be nice to prepare translations of those
messages in my opinion.

Other MediaWiki:Boardvote_* files have not to be changed.

You can see those messages on meta too:
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Election_UI_text_2006

If you feel at ease, you can work on that page.

Kizu Naoko
  Wikiquote: http://wikiquote.org
  * vivemus, mea Lesbia, amemus *

Re: UI text translation

KIZU Naoko
Thank you for your comments,.

On 8/31/06, Ceila Sanchez <[hidden email]> wrote:
> One question,
> I really don't understand what those messages mean.

Good question.

Those messages are part of Boardvote interface which allows you (me
not ;x) to vote for the candidates. However not everyone can vote, so
those people will get one of those messages.

May anyone who have voted through it want to add more details? ;)

As for boardvote_entry. It will be replaced later. Since we are now
completing the final list of candidates including some clarification
about vote eligibility, and it will be released after an appointment
of some new staff to the Election Committee is announced to the
community.  All should happen within a day.

Thank you for your aids, Tom Chiu and Zuirdj.  Would you please ask
your sister projects' admins to update those messages on their wiki,
if you have a time?

To Anyfile. Good point. Currently I suggest the meta page can serve
you in that purpose like "quick translations" page. Or is it the time
we are better to consider a translation dedicated wiki, instead of
meta as our platform? Will this wiki be opened or closed? And why?
What kind of translations goes there? Only Wikimedia related or any
translations including TotW? And why? ...

There are many things we may want to consider. If you let us know your
idea more closely, on the centralized place for translation, it would
be nice.

Kizu Naoko
  Wikiquote: http://wikiquote.org
  * vivemus, mea Lesbia, amemus *

Re: UI text translation

Tom Ka Chun Chiu
Dear Aphaia,

Do you mean the Chinese Wikipedia? I have sysop rights there. How can I update them? Do I just edit the corresponding two messages?

Best Regards,
Tom

2006/8/31, Aphaia <[hidden email]>:
Thank you for your comments,.

On 8/31/06, Ceila Sanchez <[hidden email]> wrote:
> One question,
> I really don't understand what those messages mean.

Good question.

Those messages are part of Boardvote interface which allows you (me
not ;x) to vote for the candidates. However not everyone can vote, so
those people will get one of those messages.

May anyone who have voted through it want to add more details? ;)

As for boardvote_entry. It will be replaced later. Since we are now
completing the final list of candidates including some clarification
about vote eligibility, and it will be released after an appointment
of some new staff to the Election Committee is announced to the
community.  All should happen within a day.

Thank you for your aids, Tom Chiu and Zuirdj.  Would you please ask
your sister projects' admins to update those messages on their wiki,
if you have a time?

To Anyfile. Good point. Currently I suggest the meta page can serve
you in that purpose like "quick translations" page. Or is it the time
we are better to consider a translation dedicated wiki, instead of
meta as our platform? Will this wiki be opened or closed? And why?
What kind of translations goes there? Only Wikimedia related or any
translations including TotW? And why? ...

There are many things we may want to consider. If you let us know your
idea more closely, on the centralized place for translation, it would
be nice.

Kizu Naoko
  Wikiquote: http://wikiquote.org
  * vivemus, mea Lesbia, amemus *

Best Regards
Tom Chiu
mailto:[hidden email] / mailto:[hidden email]
http://www.mimosapudica.org

Re: UI text translation

Any File
My points about cordinating translation of board election notices was
both giuridical and technical (actually the technical one was that
iussed my attention).

If the messages about the election should be the same in meaning on
every project and on every languagge (since the election is only one
election that is wide to all of the porjects and languages) there is
no point why they should exist in different version (except of course
for translation in different languages, but there is no point why
there can be two different versions in the same language).

More generically, who has the power to decide what should be written
in these message? WHat should be happen if, for example, a date is
mispelled? It has not much sense that the English version is checked
by the Election officials and the others not (of course I do not want
that the officials should know all the languages and check them all,
but just that the message are posted somewhere on meta or on the
foundation web site with the "officialized" transaltion).

It would be strange that the same message is different in different
project on the same language.

But the origin of my previous message was mainly technical.

You (Aphaia) have said in the first message of this thread

>>Those changes could be done automatically by MediaWiki default, or
>>not.

Now my knowladge in this argument is embarassing.
Are these messages part of the standard mediawiki package? Are they
part of Messages.php (and trnaslation/customization)
How does the update by the "special user" "MediaWiki default" work?
Would it replace only the message that have never been edited? (if not
an already trnaslated message would be replaced by the English
version)
Would it replace with the new English version or  with the new version
in the appropriate language?

If this arise some technical question it would be interesting to add
into this discussion the technical expert (I do not dare since I have
never looked at the code, perhaps this iusse has already been set)

Is there a way to have a file separated by language.php to deal with
these company's message?

AnyFile

Re: UI text translation

KIZU Naoko
Since I realized the update hasn't been taken down globally yet, to
wikitech-l I mailed for asking developer's fafor.

I am not sure what will happen in every detail. It might mean your
local update will be overriden automatically and misfortunately. Or
not. I beg your pardon, my lack of tech knowledge enough inform you
what is expected. However I suppose a message in another language
might be better than a message in your language but outdated. I might
be wrong. Hopefully not - sorry for your all inconvinience.

I made Japanese versions on meta. If you prefer to work on wiki and
later move them to your project, please use meta page as your
platform.

On 8/31/06, Tom Ka Chun Chiu <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Dear Aphaia,
>
> Do you mean the Chinese Wikipedia? I have sysop rights there. How can I
> update them? Do I just edit the corresponding two messages?

Exactly.
In case of Chinese Wikipedia, please follow the procedure on the below
0. You may want to give a look to meta or give my previous post.
0.5 ... and want to make a translation somewhere, not directly (but of
course you can be bold to edit directly those pages and the boldness
is encouraged here on Wikimedia project ;p )
1.  Edit [[MediaWiki:boardvote_notqualified]]
http://zh.wikipedia.org/wiki/MediaWiki:boardvote_notqualified
You may want to optimize the message (I added "Sorry" for Japanese
people. Since they prefer such politeness, for instance)
2. Save ;)
3. Edit [[MediaWiki:boardvote_notloggedin]]
http:zh.wikipedia.org/wiki/MediaWiki:boardvote_notloggedin
4. Save again ;)
5. Your work for updating is done. Thank you!

In a similar way, admins may update those files on their wikis.
Thank you for your cooperations!

--
Kizu Naoko
  Wikiquote: http://wikiquote.org
  * vivemus, mea Lesbia, amemus *

Re: UI text translation

Tom Ka Chun Chiu
That's fine. I just found that other sysops translated the text at the end of May.