Re: We don't need editors' guides, we need better ways to find things

Re: We don't need editors' guides, we need better ways to find things

Daniel P. B. Smith
> Subject: [WikiEN-l] Editor's guides
> Is there such a thing as editors' guides to specific areas?
>
> For example, the Trinidad and Tobago article attracts people all
> the time
> who add "new" information which is already contained in some
> subarticle.
> They don't expect the level of depth of Trinidad and Tobago
> articles that
> exist, so they just add something that's "missing", probably
> unaware of what
> exists.

I think there's a better way to frame the problem. The problem is
when people look for information in the way they expect to look for
it, under the heading where they expect to find it, they aren't
finding it.

Re: We don't need editors' guides, we need better ways to find things

Steve Bennett-4
On 3/25/06, Daniel P. B. Smith <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I think there's a better way to frame the problem. The problem is
> when people look for information in the way they expect to look for
> it, under the heading where they expect to find it, they aren't
> finding it.

At a quick glance, [[Trinidad and Tobago]] is correctly formatted with
"main article: " links. All I could suggest would be a different
slicing of info with a "everything related to T&T" infobox. Currently
this article slices horizontally twice (Countries in the Caribbean;
Caribbean Community), and has one country infobox with all the basic
stats on the country (as normal). A vertical slicing (History of T&T,
Economy of T&T...) might help...slightly...but would probably add more
clutter than anything useful.

Steve