Re: Where the information comes from?

Isto Huvila-2

Thank you, I will definitely keep you all updated.

I decided to ask people not to take administrative edits (what would be
a better term to include all "maintenance") or grammatical corrections,
but not to rule out anything else. Even if an edit is not a major one, I
suppose it is interesting to know where the tiny bits of information
originated. Sure the by far most interesting question at this stage
relates to writing whole articles.

I supposed that if people are contributing on their profession related
topics they are unlikely to do specific information seeking and/or they
rely on their professional sources and especially experience. It is a
separate issue from seeking or not, but I assume that it affects a whole
lot the way information is sought. This is of course speculation at this
point and I hope I can discuss this in more detail when I have the
results in my hand.

best wishes and thank you for very good comments,

Isto

> Isto, This sounds like really interested work, on a topic I am
> especially fascinated by :) Please do keep us up to date when you have
> some results or conclusions. I have two comments and a question after
> looking at the survey. 1) You might want to define "administrative
> edits" a bit better. I assume that you only want people to discuss
> substantial edits to an article's content, not minor edits, edits to
> project or user space, etc. 2) I don't understand how this question:
> "I never contribute to Wikipedia on my profession related topics"
> relates to information-seeking -- whether people contribute in areas
> related to their profession seems like a separate issue from whether
> they go looking for information or not. A question: would it be
> worthwhile asking where people looked for information? Printed books,
> other websites, newspapers, etc. "Information seeking" is very broad
> and vague and can encompass many behaviors. best, -- Phoebe On Thu,
> Mar 13, 2008 at 5:52 AM, Isto Huvila <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> >
>> >  Dear All,
>> >
>> >  I am currently engaged in conducting research on Wikipedia users'
>> >  information behaviour and especially the information sources and
>> >  services used in contributions.
>> >
>> >  The purpose of this survey is to map information sources used in writing
>> >  and editing Wikipedia articles. The survey is a part of the research
>> >  project "Information service 2.0" conducted by myself (Department of
>> >  Information Studies, ?bo Akademi University, Finland) as a part of the
>> >  Academy of Finland research project "Library 2.0 - a new participatory
>> >  context".
>> >
>> >  The individual answers will be processed strictly confidential, the data
>> >  will not be handed over to any third parties or to non-academic use and
>> >  all informants will remain strictly anynomous.
>> >
>> >  Survey URL
>> >  http://survey-3.istohuvila.fi/index.php?sid=62924&lang=en
>> >
>> >  More information about the project may be found at
>> >  http://www.istohuvila.fi/library-20
>> >  http://www.library2pointoh.fi
>> >
>> >  Best Regards,
>> >

>> >  Isto Huvila
>> >
>> >  --
>> >
>> >  Ph.D., research fellow, lecturer
>> >  Information Studies :: ?bo Akademi University
>> >  (w) +358-2-2153467 (m) +358-40-5726259
>> >  (e) [hidden email] (w3) www.istohuvila.fi

> -- - phoebe s. ayers | [hidden email]

isto_huvila.vcf (328 bytes) Download Attachment