Re: [Wiki Loves Monuments] Copyfraud of WLM winners photo

Re: [Wiki Loves Monuments] Copyfraud of WLM winners photo

metasj
Yuck.

That said, perhaps we should think about integrating a link to a CC-friendly printshop that can produce prints roughly at cost, perhaps with the WP URL and license on the back.  (prints are basically the only service 'fineartamerica' provides.)

In the US I use shortrunposters, ~$4 for a 2'x3' print (so, 5% the cost of fineartamerica); I bet there are others.

SJ

On Wed, Jan 3, 2018 at 10:34 AM, Nicolas VIGNERON <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi all,

TLDR: someone is stealing WLM photo on https://fineartamerica.com/profiles/paul-fearn.html?tab=artwork&page=11 :/

Longer story: WMFR just received an OTRS message from a WLM competitor who discovered that someone is wrongly taking credits for its WLM photos (and other WLM files and other files from Commons apparently) on the fineartamerica website. This competitor send a mail to this website and asked if WMFR can help in any way.
So now, I'm sending you this mail to know whether you had to deal with things like this or if you have any ideas of what should be done.

Cdlt, ~nicolas

Samuel Klein          @metasj           w:user:sj          +1 617 529 4266

Re: EXTERNAL: Re: [Wiki Loves Monuments] Copyfraud of WLM winners photo

Tuszynski, Jaroslaw W.-2

Paul Fearn seems to have a little business of selling images from WLM and claiming their authorship. In the past others complained at OTRS (https://ticket.wikimedia.org/otrs/index.pl?Action=AgentTicketZoom;TicketID=10017069# ). Did anybody tried contacting https://fineartamerica.com/contactus.html?tab=contactus to shut him down?

Jarekt

Re: EXTERNAL: Re: [Wiki Loves Monuments] Copyfraud of WLM winners photo

Ryan Kaldari-2
Wow, that's pretty blatant copyfraud. Anyone who owns those images should have a pretty good case to sue him.

Samuel Klein          @metasj           w:user:sj          <a href="tel:(617)%20529-4266" value="+16175294266" target="_blank">+1 617 529 4266

Re: EXTERNAL: Re: [Wiki Loves Monuments] Copyfraud of WLM winners photo

Lane Rasberry
There has never been a lawsuit for inappropriate reuse of cc media, has there?

Does anyone even know of a case of a copyright holder getting paid without a lawsuit in such a case?

On Wed, Jan 3, 2018 at 2:43 PM Ryan Kaldari <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

user:bluerasberry on Wikipedia
206.801.0814

Re: EXTERNAL: Re: [Wiki Loves Monuments] Copyfraud of WLM winners photo

Federico Leva (Nemo)
Lane Rasberry, 03/01/2018 21:59:
> There has never been a lawsuit for inappropriate reuse of cc media, has
> there?

Several.

> Does anyone even know of a case of a copyright holder getting paid
> without a lawsuit in such a case?

Sure. It's easier for works released with a non-commercial license and
used for blatantly commercial purposes, of course.

Federico

Re : Re: EXTERNAL: Re: [Wiki Loves Monuments] Copyfraud of WLM winners photo

gilles.calvino
merci gilles calvino

That said, perhaps we should think about integrating a link to a CC-friendly printshop that can produce prints roughly at cost, perhaps with the WP URL and license on the back.  (prints are basically the only service 'fineartamerica' provides.)

In the US I use shortrunposters, ~$4 for a 2'x3' print (so, 5% the cost of fineartamerica); I bet there are others.

SJ

On Wed, Jan 3, 2018 at 10:34 AM, Nicolas VIGNERON <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi all,

TLDR: someone is stealing WLM photo on
https://fineartamerica.com/profiles/paul-fearn.html?tab=artwork&page=11
:/

Samuel Klein          @metasj           w:user:sj          <a href="tel:(617)%20529-4266" target="_blank">+1 617 529 4266

Lane Rasberry
user:bluerasberry on Wikipedia
206.801.0814

Re: EXTERNAL: Re: [Wiki Loves Monuments] Copyfraud of WLM winners photo

Gnangarra
I think this is one instance where the WMF Legal should act on behalf of the all the photographers rather than leave it to individuals who may not have the ability to hire someone.  This would set a very clear precedent about sch activities from images Donated to WMF projects, WMF, WLM team, and the wider community have moral obligation to ensure that the rights of those that contributed to the competition are respected.

On 4 January 2018 at 04:12, Federico Leva (Nemo) <[hidden email]> wrote:
Lane Rasberry, 03/01/2018 21:59:
There has never been a lawsuit for inappropriate reuse of cc media, has there?

Several.

Does anyone even know of a case of a copyright holder getting paid without a lawsuit in such a case?

Sure. It's easier for works released with a non-commercial license and used for blatantly commercial purposes, of course.

Federico

Out now: A.Gaynor, P. Newman and P. Jennings (eds.), Never Again: Reflections on Environmental Responsibility after Roe 8, UWAP, 2017.  Order here.

Re: EXTERNAL: Re: [Wiki Loves Monuments] Copyfraud of WLM winners photo

Lane Rasberry
Nemo - follow up question, is there a published case study anywhere in any language?

I am not aware of WMF legal ever getting involved in these sorts of cases. Chasing copyright violations or managing a project to defend against copyright vio seems more like a project for any Wikimedia chapter or community organization to do, perhaps with WMF grant funding support. Comparable organizations like YouTube, Facebook etc also do not provide direct legal support to their user base and I cannot imagine the wiki community and WMF coming to any agreement for doing this either.

I know there are lists on English Wikipedia or somewhere of instances of publications plagiarizing Wikipedia text. I am unable to find the links right now, but I have seen several compilations somewhere. I am not aware of any of those cases going to court either.

There is a commercial service at
<https://www.pixsy.com/>
Their business model is to find reuse of images in violation of copyright then to shake down the thief for cash. Whatever they collect they give half to the copyright holder. If anyone were to advance the cause of Wiki-policing then considering pixsy's model of justice might be a place to start the conversation.