Re: [WikiEN-l] London pub meet report, Tue 9 Jan

Re: [WikiEN-l] London pub meet report, Tue 9 Jan

Gordon Joly
At 11:23 +0000 10/1/07, David Gerard wrote:
>[sending separately to wikien-l and wikimediauk-l due to mail server
>weirdness]

Huh? That's where we came in! Hence the confusion of the past few days....

>The Montagu Pyke is an unspeakably horrible beer barn,

As suggested by a certain David Gerard? No relation?

>  and we actually
>drank it out of the one real ale on tap.

Sorry. My fault.

>  I was wondering if it was
>possible to accidentally unplug the jukebox, then the football
>(Arsenal v. Liverpool, 6-3, holy crap! [*])

6 + 3 = 9 goals!

>started at a quite
>remarkable volume. Having enough people upstairs to block the fire
>exits, and the venue sucking like a hivemind of Dysons, we chose to
>follow Morwen's infallible ale detector to the Shakespeare's Head near
>Holborn tube station, another Wetherspoons but this time of the
>tolerable variety.

A fine place. I know it well.

>(Fortunately, despite it *technically* having been the case that I was
>the one to declare that this would be a suitable venue, I used methods
>learnt from [[WP:ANI]] to put all blame onto James Forrester, who was
>conveniently not present. So that's all right then.)

James is now sharing a flat in Beckton with Lord Lucan and Reginald I. Perrin.

James's suggestion for a pub needed a little subbing, methinks....

>I got about a zillion shots on User:Arkady Rose's [[Canon Digital
>IXUS]] 400, and she'll probably be putting these up some time today or
>tomorrow. Loopzilla and Thryduulf got a pile too.

LoopZilla apologize's now for the quality. But they are there (on
FLICKR), suitable tagged.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/loopzilla/tags/walesmeatagain/

>We got LOTS of people along and this was really good and productive,
>despite the horrible first venue. Did anyone write up an attendance
>list?
>

>- d.
>
>  [*] http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/league_cup/6246893.stm

Gordo

http://www.loopzilla.org/

Re: [WikiEN-l] London pub meet report, Tue 9 Jan

Earle Martin
> The Montagu Pyke is an unspeakably horrible beer barn, and we actually
> drank it out of the one real ale on tap. I was wondering if it was
> possible to accidentally unplug the jukebox, then the football
> (Arsenal v. Liverpool, 6-3, holy crap! [*]) started at a quite
> remarkable volume.

Good grief! When I had to run off it was only 1-5 (note: it was
actually Liverpool vs. Arsenal, which may explain why the reaction was
so loud)...

May I suggest for next time Henry's Cafe Bar in Covent Garden?
http://www.coventgardenlife.com/places.asp?PlaceID=49

It's quite large and comfortable, and not noisy as I recall.

--
Earle Martin
            http://downlode.org/

At 12:43 +0000 10/1/07, Steve Block wrote:

>David Gerard wrote:
>>  follow Morwen's infallible ale detector to the Shakespeare's Head near
>>  Holborn tube station, another Wetherspoons but this time of the
>>  tolerable variety.
>
>This was a much better choice if you ask me, and might be one to
>bookmark if we ever do it again.  I really enjoyed myself.
>
>>  We got LOTS of people along and this was really good and productive,
>>  despite the horrible first venue. Did anyone write up an attendance
>>  list?
>
>I didn't, but from memory Jimbo, Morwen, yourself, myself, Gordo,
>Psychonaut, Whouk, Edward, Thryduulf, AJR, steve from openstreetmap, Tim
>Starling, Angela, Theresa Knott, um, Geni, Andrew Gray?.  I didn't
>really circulate well and was half cut by the time we were in a quiet
>enough pub to do introductions. Apologies to those I have left off,
>because there most definitely was more people.
>

>--

Yes, I was there!! Honest!!!

Gordo

--
"Think Feynman"/////////
http://pobox.com/~gordo/

Re: [WikiEN-l] London pub meet report, Tue 9 Jan

Gordon Joly

So, now that the dust as settled....

What is happening with...

WIKI EDUCATIONAL RESOURCES LIMITED
340 LIVERPOOL ROAD
LONDON
N7 8PZ
Company No. 05708269

Has it become a charity? Not according to the Central Register of
Charities maintained by the Charity Commission for England and Wales.

Gordo

--
"Think Feynman"/////////
http://pobox.com/~gordo/

Re: [WikiEN-l] London pub meet report, Tue 9 Jan

Chris McKenna
On Wed, 10 Jan 2007, Gordon Joly wrote:

>> I didn't, but from memory Jimbo, Morwen, yourself, myself, Gordo,
>> Psychonaut, Whouk, Edward, Thryduulf, AJR, steve from openstreetmap, Tim
>> Starling, Angela, Theresa Knott, um, Geni, Andrew Gray?.  I didn't
>> really circulate well and was half cut by the time we were in a quiet
>> enough pub to do introductions. Apologies to those I have left off,
>> because there most definitely was more people.

Secretlondon and Steve Block were also there. There was also the girl
sitting next to Jimbo in the second pub, but I don't remember her name.

Chris

--
Chris 'Awkward' McKenna

[hidden email]
www.sucs.org/~cmckenna

but with the heart

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Re: [WikiEN-l] London pub meet report, Tue 9 Jan

David Gerard-2
On 10/01/07, Chris McKenna <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Secretlondon and Steve Block were also there. There was also the girl
> sitting next to Jimbo in the second pub, but I don't remember her name.

Yota?

- d.

Re: [WikiEN-l] London pub meet report, Tue 9 Jan

Cormac Lawler
> On 10/01/07, Chris McKenna <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Secretlondon and Steve Block were also there. There was also the girl
> > sitting next to Jimbo in the second pub, but I don't remember her name.
>

> Yota?

Ah yes, her name is pronounced "Yota" as you say, though it's spelt
"Giota" (short for "Panagiota"). I wondered if she'd make it (she
organised Jimbo's LSE speech).
<http://www.lse.ac.uk/collections/media@lse/whosWho/PanagiotaAlevizou.htm>

Cormac

Petition for free licensing of publicly funded software

Chris McKenna
I've just been pointed to the Number 10 petitions website where there is
an active petition calling for "the Prime Minister to require that all
publically funded software projects publish source code under a Free
licence."

Whether this will make any difference I have no clue, but some people here
will probably be interested in it.

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/Open-IT-projects/

You need to be a UK citizen or resident to sign.

--
Chris 'Awkward' McKenna

[hidden email]
www.sucs.org/~cmckenna

but with the heart

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Re: Petition for free licensing of publicly funded software

Gordon Joly
At 18:23 +0000 24/1/07, Chris McKenna wrote:

>I've just been pointed to the Number 10 petitions website where there is
>an active petition calling for "the Prime Minister to require that all
>publically funded software projects publish source code under a Free
>licence."
>
>Whether this will make any difference I have no clue, but some people here
>will probably be interested in it.
>
>http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/Open-IT-projects/
>
>You need to be a UK citizen or resident to sign.
>
>--
>Chris 'Awkward' McKenna
>
>[hidden email]
>www.sucs.org/~cmckenna
>

>The essential things in life are seen not with the eyes,
>but with the heart
>
>Antoine de Saint Exupery

Specifically:

****

Software written using public funds should have it's source code
published under a distribution licence that has been declared Free by
the Free Software Foundation, rather than remaining a closed secret.

This would allow for more of the public to benefit from the
development of the software since the code would be available for
anyone to use and improve. Furthermore, compatibility with other Free
licences (such as the GPL) would promote rapid development and
reduced costs through the reuse of existing code.

An open development model would also allow the public to be more
informed of the progress and quality of these projects, which so
frequently seem to end up severely over budget.

****

I not sure DEFRA, MI5, British Waterways, the Home Office, HM Revenue
and Customs etc will want to publish their source code.

Or did I miss the point?

Gordo

--
"Think Feynman"/////////
http://pobox.com/~gordo/

Re: Petition for free licensing of publicly funded software

geni
On 1/25/07, Gordon Joly <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I not sure DEFRA, MI5,

I've never looked into it but I've heard rumors that MI5 and the like
tend to use open source softwear a fair bit since they think it is
less likely to have back doors and the like in.

--
geni

BBC Consultation

Chris McKenna
The BBC Trust are running a consultation at the moment about the BBC's
application to launch On Demand services.

The survey allows you to express your opinions on a range of matters about
the application, including whether the services should be made available
to all operating systems or just Microsoft Windows. There are also DRM
issues for you to comment on if you wish.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbctrust/consult/open-consultations/thanks.html

--
Chris 'Awkward' McKenna

[hidden email]
www.sucs.org/~cmckenna

but with the heart

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Re: BBC Consultation

Chris McKenna
Sorry, that url should have been
http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbctrust/consult/open-consultations/ondemand_services.html

Chris

On 02/02/07, Chris McKenna <[hidden email]> wrote:

> http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbctrust/consult/open-consultations/ondemand_services.html

Yeah, I saw this on the ORG list too. I'm wondering how to succinctly
say "make something that actually sucks less than BitTorrent or
MythTV."

(I know someone who records Radio 4 and Radio 5 off DAB and saves a
month's worth just so he can play it back at his leisure. Hard disk is
way cheap, and DAB/DVB-T is transmitted in the clear. Foolish humans.)

- d.

Re: BBC Consultation

Dev 920
What's is happening with the local chapter? Because I think we had some fantastic ideas I'd like to start in motion. Is anything happening?

Dev920

Re: BBC Consultation

Gordon Joly
At 12:56 +0000 4/3/07, Dev 920 wrote:
>What's is happening with the local chapter? Because I think we had
>some fantastic ideas I'd like to start in motion. Is anything
>happening?
>
>Dev920

I asked a similar question in January this year...

At 12:26 +0000 22/1/07, Alison Wheeler wrote:
>On Sun, January 21, 2007 21:59, Gordon Joly wrote:
>>  Anybody care to answer this?
>>>What is happening with...
>>>WIKI EDUCATIONAL RESOURCES LIMITED
>
>The Company was registered on February 14th last year and there will be an
>report of the first year made available on or shortly before that date.

During the first year, there was a lot of work on the bid for
Wikimania, which failed and was awarded to Taipei, as I am sure y'all
know.

Gordon

--
"Think Feynman"/////////