Re: [WikiEN-l] Time for preformatted empty articles?

Re: [WikiEN-l] Time for preformatted empty articles?

David Gerard-2
On 29/11/06, MacGyverMagic/Mgm <[hidden email]> wrote:

> We should probably still kill a lot of unsourced edits. Such a preload
> template is already in use at AFC and it is routinely ignored, but better to
> try and convince some people to follow it. It didn't solve the problem, but
> it cut back on problem cases slightly.

Yeah. The nice thing about a preload template is that it can guide new
editors without being a straightjacket on experienced ones - it's just
text in the edit box, after all.

Something like (off the top of my head):

'''{{PAGENAME}}''' is ... [one-sentence definition]. It is ...

==More detail==

[Put more detail about important aspects of {{PAGENAME}} here. Use
==section-name== around new sections.]

==References==

[List the sources you used in writing this article]

==External links==

[List the most important couple of external webpages on the subject.]

This shows people how to give us the useful content for a good stub
article without having to know all about editing wikitext and lovely
formatting.

wikitech-l - is it possible yet to do a preload when someone hits
'edit' on a red link? If so, what do we need for this to be switched
on for en:wp? It is likely time for such a thing.

- d.

Re: [WikiEN-l] Time for preformatted empty articles?

Rob Church
> wikitech-l - is it possible yet to do a preload when someone hits
> 'edit' on a red link? If so, what do we need for this to be switched
> on for en:wp? It is likely time for such a thing.

It's possible with the InputBox extension, although I think the
preload text is specified in the parameters to the tag itself. There's
also the Preloader extension, which allows customisable stuff
per-namespace; the preload text is pulled out of the MediaWiki
namespace, as I recall.

Rob Church

Re: [WikiEN-l] Time for preformatted empty articles?

evanprodromou
On Thu, 2006-30-11 at 01:30 +0000, Rob Church wrote:

> On 30/11/06, David Gerard <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > wikitech-l - is it possible yet to do a preload when someone hits
> > 'edit' on a red link? If so, what do we need for this to be switched
> > on for en:wp? It is likely time for such a thing.
>
> It's possible with the InputBox extension, although I think the
> preload text is specified in the parameters to the tag itself. There's
> also the Preloader extension, which allows customisable stuff
> per-namespace; the preload text is pulled out of the MediaWiki
> namespace, as I recall.

We use a little trick with MediaWiki:Newarticletext on Wikitravel to
make a little menu of preload options:

http://wikitravel.org/wiki/en/index.php?title=A_page_that_does_not_exist&action=edit

It's not beautiful, but it does the job pretty darn well, and most of
our new articles have the right template selected now.

~Evan

--
Evan Prodromou <[hidden email]>

Re: [WikiEN-l] Time for preformatted empty articles?

Brianna Laugher
Wiktionary might be relevant too. They offer some very specific
templates when your search fails:

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Special:Search?search=word+that+doesn%27t+exist&go=Go

cheers,
Brianna
user:pfctdayelise

Re: [WikiEN-l] Time for preformatted empty articles?

Steve Bennett-8
On 11/30/06, Evan Prodromou <[hidden email]> wrote:
> We use a little trick with MediaWiki:Newarticletext on Wikitravel to
> make a little menu of preload options:
>
> http://wikitravel.org/wiki/en/index.php?title=A_page_that_does_not_exist&action=edit
>
> It's not beautiful, but it does the job pretty darn well, and most of
> our new articles have the right template selected now.

It's actually pretty elegant, but I can't see it working well for
something as diverse as Wikipedia. Travel is ultimately a pretty
constrained topic. Wikipedia isn't...the structure of articles tends
to be dependent on the theme more than on the category. For certain
very specific classes of articles (hurricanes, members of certain
groups like WWF wrestlers...) templates effectively do exist (dictated
by WikiProjects) but it would be a pretty esoteric list of templates
to choose from. The idea is good, but it would need a slightly
different implementation...

steve

Re: [WikiEN-l] Time for preformatted empty articles?

Magnus Manske-2
On 11/30/06, Steve Bennett <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 11/30/06, Evan Prodromou <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > We use a little trick with MediaWiki:Newarticletext on Wikitravel to
> > make a little menu of preload options:
> >
> > http://wikitravel.org/wiki/en/index.php?title=A_page_that_does_not_exist&action=edit
> >
> > It's not beautiful, but it does the job pretty darn well, and most of
> > our new articles have the right template selected now.
>
> It's actually pretty elegant, but I can't see it working well for
> something as diverse as Wikipedia. Travel is ultimately a pretty
> constrained topic. Wikipedia isn't...the structure of articles tends
> to be dependent on the theme more than on the category. For certain
> very specific classes of articles (hurricanes, members of certain
> groups like WWF wrestlers...) templates effectively do exist (dictated
> by WikiProjects) but it would be a pretty esoteric list of templates
> to choose from. The idea is good, but it would need a slightly
> different implementation...

I have
* Templator [1] to pre-fill templates (currently in German only)
* PrepBio [2] to generate whole biography stub pages
* A coordinate template generator [3]
* A wikitext book generator from ISBN [4]
* A reference generator [5]

These could be combined into a single package to ease article creation.

Magnus

[1] http://tools.wikimedia.de/~magnus/templator.php
[2] http://tools.wikimedia.de/~magnus/prepbio.php
[3] http://tools.wikimedia.de/~magnus/coord_gen.php
[4] http://tools.wikimedia.de/~magnus/isbn2wiki.php
[5] http://tools.wikimedia.de/~magnus/makeref.php

On 12/1/06, Magnus Manske <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I have
> * Templator [1] to pre-fill templates (currently in German only)
> * PrepBio [2] to generate whole biography stub pages
> * A coordinate template generator [3]
> * A wikitext book generator from ISBN [4]
> * A reference generator [5]
>
> These could be combined into a single package to ease article creation.

Some of them should be converted to javascript and built into monobook.css.

Steve

Re: [WikiEN-l] Time for preformatted empty articles?

Steve Bennett-8
.js even.

Steve