Re: [WikiEN-l] Wikipedia jumps _into_ the top 10

Re: [WikiEN-l] Wikipedia jumps _into_ the top 10

Daniel P. B. Smith
I guess I don't understand why Wikipedians would care about this,
apart from preening.

Am I missing something?

Will being in the top ten help us to write a better encyclopedia in
some way that being in the top 100 doesn't?

Re: [WikiEN-l] Wikipedia jumps _into_ the top 10

Newyorkbrad (Wikipedia)
On 1/6/07, Daniel P. B. Smith <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I guess I don't understand why Wikipedians would care about this,
> apart from preening.
>
> Am I missing something?
>
> Will being in the top ten help us to write a better encyclopedia in
> some way that being in the top 100 doesn't?

It suggests that people are *using* the encyclopedia that we are writing.  I
think that is a Good Thing, as well as a remember of the responsibilities we
have.

Newyorkbrad

Re: [WikiEN-l] Wikipedia jumps _into_ the top 10

Keitei
On Jan 6, 2007, at 15:46, Daniel P. B. Smith wrote:

> I guess I don't understand why Wikipedians would care about this,
> apart from preening.
>
> Am I missing something?
>
> Will being in the top ten help us to write a better encyclopedia in
> some way that being in the top 100 doesn't?

Being popular shows that we're useful to a good number of people,
which indicates that we are doing a good job. Other than that... I
have no idea.
--keitei

Re: [WikiEN-l] Wikipedia jumps _into_ the top 10

George William Herbert
On 1/6/07, Keitei <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Jan 6, 2007, at 15:46, Daniel P. B. Smith wrote:
>
> > I guess I don't understand why Wikipedians would care about this,
> > apart from preening.
> >
> > Am I missing something?
> >
> > Will being in the top ten help us to write a better encyclopedia in
> > some way that being in the top 100 doesn't?
>
> Being popular shows that we're useful to a good number of people,
> which indicates that we are doing a good job. Other than that... I
> have no idea.

"Yay, we're a success...."

"Oh, Crap, we're a success..."

(everyone who suffered personally and professionally from the dot-com
boom's insane ramp-up, take a drink)

--
-george william herbert

Re: [WikiEN-l] Wikipedia jumps _into_ the top 10

geni
On 1/6/07, Daniel P. B. Smith <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I guess I don't understand why Wikipedians would care about this,
> apart from preening.
>
> Am I missing something?
>
> Will being in the top ten help us to write a better encyclopedia in
> some way that being in the top 100 doesn't?

W:Hi archive/goverment/charity X we would like to work with you
X:What are you?
W:A website
X:Get lost
W:we are in the top ten on the web
X:hold on a sec

Well that is the theory in any case.
--
geni

Re: [WikiEN-l] Wikipedia jumps _into_ the top 10

Neil Harris
Daniel P. B. Smith wrote:

> I guess I don't understand why Wikipedians would care about this,
> apart from preening.
>
> Am I missing something?
>
> Will being in the top ten help us to write a better encyclopedia in
> some way that being in the top 100 doesn't?

More readers => more writers to share the work, better coverage of niche
subjects.

More readers => more influence to get bigger things done.

More readers => more mindshare for the free culture movement => more
similar projects.

-- Neil

Re: [WikiEN-l] Wikipedia jumps _into_ the top 10

Oskar Sigvardsson
On 1/7/07, Neil Harris <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Daniel P. B. Smith wrote:
> > I guess I don't understand why Wikipedians would care about this,
> > apart from preening.
> >
> > Am I missing something?
> >
> > Will being in the top ten help us to write a better encyclopedia in
> > some way that being in the top 100 doesn't?
> >

> More readers => more writers to share the work, better coverage of niche
> subjects.
>
> More readers => more influence to get bigger things done.
>
> More readers => more mindshare for the free culture movement => more
> similar projects.
>
> -- Neil

Yeah, that, but there is also nothing wrong about being proud of your
work. We're in the top 10! We rule! Isn't that a great feeling?

Re: [WikiEN-l] Wikipedia jumps _into_ the top 10

Charles Matthews
"Daniel P. B. Smith"

> Will being in the top ten help us to write a better encyclopedia in
> some way that being in the top 100 doesn't?

Being in the top 100 didn't make Wikipedia a household word. That happened in the last six months. Does that help? Yes. In fact since we still need to gain editors, it is better if we are more prominent.

Charles