Re: Wikimedia Chat

Esteban Zarate
I just installed but there is nothing, can you create a channel as test?,
please

El sáb., 29 de ago. de 2020 a la(s) 21:00, Amir Sarabadani (
[hidden email]) escribió:

> Hello,
> Due to the current situation, there are more and more collaborations
> happening online instead. and now you can see Wikimedia-related discussion
> groups in Slack, Discord, Telegram, Facebook, and many more. Besides being
> scattered and inaccessible to people who don't have accounts in those
> platforms (for privacy reasons for example), these platforms use
> proprietary and closed-source software, are outside Wikimedia
> infrastructure and some harvest our personal data for profit.
>
> IRC on freenode is a good alternative but it lacks basic functionalities of
> a modern chat platform. So we created Wikimedia Chat, a mattermost instance
> in Wikimedia Cloud. Compared to IRC, you have:
>     * Ability to scrollback and read messages when you were offline
>     * Push notification and email notification
>     * You don't need to get a cloak to hide your IP from others
>     * Proper support for sharing media
>     * Two factor authentication
>     * A proper mobile app support
>     * Ability to add custom emojis (yes, it's extremely important)
>     * Profile pictures
>     * Ability to ping everyone with @here
>     * much much more.
>
> You can use Wikimedia Chat by going to https://chat.wmcloud.org, anyone
> can
> make an account. This is part of Wikimedia Social suite [1], the oher
> similar project is "Wikimedia Meet". [2]
>
> Some notes:
> * This is done in my volunteer capacity and has been maintained by a group
> of volunteers. If you're willing to join the team (either technical or
> enforcing CoC, kicking out spammers, other daily work), drop me a message.
> * Privacy policy of Wikimedia Cloud applies: https://w.wiki/aQW
> * As a result, all messages older than 90 days get automatically deleted.
> * As a Wikimedia Cloud project, all of discussions, private and public are
> covered by Code of conduct in technical spaces:  https://w.wiki/AK$
>
> Hope that would be useful for you, if you encounter any technical issues,
> file a bug in the phabricator.
>
> [1] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Social_Suite
> [2] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Meet
>
> Best
> --
> Amir (he/him)

Re: Wikimedia Chat

Amir Sarabadani-2
Hey, can you try? https://chat.wmcloud.org/wikimedia

On Sun, Aug 30, 2020 at 2:37 AM Esteban Zarate <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I just installed but there is nothing, can you create a channel as test?,
> please
>
> El sáb., 29 de ago. de 2020 a la(s) 21:00, Amir Sarabadani (
> [hidden email]) escribió:
>
> > Hello,
> > Due to the current situation, there are more and more collaborations
> > happening online instead. and now you can see Wikimedia-related
> discussion
> > groups in Slack, Discord, Telegram, Facebook, and many more. Besides
> being
> > scattered and inaccessible to people who don't have accounts in those
> > platforms (for privacy reasons for example), these platforms use
> > proprietary and closed-source software, are outside Wikimedia
> > infrastructure and some harvest our personal data for profit.
> >
> > IRC on freenode is a good alternative but it lacks basic functionalities
> of
> > a modern chat platform. So we created Wikimedia Chat, a mattermost
> instance
> > in Wikimedia Cloud. Compared to IRC, you have:
> >     * Ability to scrollback and read messages when you were offline
> >     * Push notification and email notification
> >     * You don't need to get a cloak to hide your IP from others
> >     * Proper support for sharing media
> >     * Two factor authentication
> >     * A proper mobile app support
> >     * Ability to add custom emojis (yes, it's extremely important)
> >     * Profile pictures
> >     * Ability to ping everyone with @here
> >     * much much more.
> >
> > You can use Wikimedia Chat by going to https://chat.wmcloud.org, anyone
> > can
> > make an account. This is part of Wikimedia Social suite [1], the oher
> > similar project is "Wikimedia Meet". [2]
> >
> > Some notes:
> > * This is done in my volunteer capacity and has been maintained by a
> group
> > of volunteers. If you're willing to join the team (either technical or
> > enforcing CoC, kicking out spammers, other daily work), drop me a
> message.
> > * Privacy policy of Wikimedia Cloud applies: https://w.wiki/aQW
> > * As a result, all messages older than 90 days get automatically deleted.
> > * As a Wikimedia Cloud project, all of discussions, private and public
> are
> > covered by Code of conduct in technical spaces:  https://w.wiki/AK$
> >
> > Hope that would be useful for you, if you encounter any technical issues,
> > file a bug in the phabricator.
> >
> > [1] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Social_Suite
> > [2] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Meet
> >
> > Best
> > --
> > Amir (he/him)

Amir (he/him)

Re: Wikimedia Chat

Esteban Zarate
Thanks, it works!!

El sáb., 29 de ago. de 2020 a la(s) 21:40, Amir Sarabadani (
[hidden email]) escribió:

> [...]
> > > can
> > > make an account. This is part of Wikimedia Social suite [1], the oher
> > > similar project is "Wikimedia Meet". [2]
> > >
> > > Some notes:
> > > * This is done in my volunteer capacity and has been maintained by a
> > group
> > > of volunteers. If you're willing to join the team (either technical or
> > > enforcing CoC, kicking out spammers, other daily work), drop me a
> > message.
> > > * Privacy policy of Wikimedia Cloud applies: https://w.wiki/aQW
> > > * As a result, all messages older than 90 days get automatically
> deleted.
> > > * As a Wikimedia Cloud project, all of discussions, private and public
> > are
> > > covered by Code of conduct in technical spaces:  https://w.wiki/AK$
> > >
> > > Hope that would be useful for you, if you encounter any technical

Re: Wikimedia Chat

QEDK
I'm only getting 408 (connection timed out) errors.

Best,
QEDK

On Sun, Aug 30, 2020, 06:26 Esteban Zarate <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks, it works!!
>
> El sáb., 29 de ago. de 2020 a la(s) 21:40, Amir Sarabadani (
> [hidden email]) escribió:
>
> > Hey, can you try? https://chat.wmcloud.org/wikimedia
> >
> > On Sun, Aug 30, 2020 at 2:37 AM Esteban Zarate <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > > I just installed but there is nothing, can you create a channel as
> test?,
> > > please

> > > discussion
> > > being

> > functionalities
> > > of
> > > instance

> > anyone

> > > group
> or
> > > message.
> > deleted.
> public
> > > are

> > issues,

> > Amir (he/him)

Re: Wikimedia Chat

Amir Sarabadani-2
I don't have any issues atm (tried again with different connections, etc.).
Is it common, does others have this issue too?

On Sun, Aug 30, 2020 at 3:21 PM QEDK <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm only getting 408 (connection timed out) errors.
>
> Best,
> QEDK
>
> On Sun, Aug 30, 2020, 06:26 Esteban Zarate <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Thanks, it works!!
> >
> > El sáb., 29 de ago. de 2020 a la(s) 21:40, Amir Sarabadani (
> > [hidden email]) escribió:
> >
> > > Hey, can you try? https://chat.wmcloud.org/wikimedia

> > test?,

> collaborations
> Besides
> those

> > > functionalities

> > > anyone
> oher

> > or
> > > deleted.
> > public
> https://w.wiki/AK$

> > > issues,

> > > --
> > > Amir (he/him)

Amir (he/him)

Re: Wikimedia Chat

Huib Laurens
Whats wrong with Freenode?

Op zo 30 aug. 2020 om 15:35 schreef Amir Sarabadani <[hidden email]>

> I don't have any issues atm (tried again with different connections, etc.).
>
> Is it common, does others have this issue too?
>

> On Sun, Aug 30, 2020 at 3:21 PM QEDK <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> > I'm only getting 408 (connection timed out) errors.
>

> > Best,
>
> > QEDK
>

> > On Sun, Aug 30, 2020, 06:26 Esteban Zarate <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> > > Thanks, it works!!

> > > test?,

> > collaborations

> > Besides

> > those

> mattermost

> offline

> important)

> > oher

> by

> technical
>
> > > or

> > > public

> > https://w.wiki/AK$

> Amir (he/him)

Met vriendelijke groet,

Huib Laurens

Re: Wikimedia Chat

QEDK
Well not sure about the cause, but I've tried it on two different networks
(one network manages the HTTPS redirection) but both time out in the end.
I've also tried using two different DNSes (Google and Cloudflare) and the
result is the same (same result on curl).

Best,
QEDK

On Sun, Aug 30, 2020, 19:34 Sterkebak <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Whats wrong with Freenode?
>
> Op zo 30 aug. 2020 om 15:35 schreef Amir Sarabadani <[hidden email]>
>
> > I don't have any issues atm (tried again with different connections,
> etc.).
> >
> > Is it common, does others have this issue too?
> >

> > On Sun, Aug 30, 2020 at 3:21 PM QEDK <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >

> > > I'm only getting 408 (connection timed out) errors.
> >

> > > Best,
> >
> > > QEDK

> as

> > > collaborations

> > > Besides

> > > those

> use

> > mattermost

> > offline

> > important)

> https://chat.wmcloud.org,

> the
> >
> > > oher

> > by

> > technical

> me a

> https://w.wiki/aQW

> automatically

> > > https://w.wiki/AK$

> technical

> > Amir (he/him)

> Met vriendelijke groet,
>
> Huib Laurens

Re: Wikimedia Chat

Léa Lacroix
Thanks a lot for your work Amir, this is really wonderful.

When organizing online events over the past 6 months, we often had the
problem of finding a discussion tool that would be altogether open source,
hosted on our own servers, complying to local laws (GDPR for Europe), and
having some modern features that are missing on IRC. I think that
Mattermost is a great answer to that, and I hope that your efforts will be
supported by other volunteers and WMF.

I'm looking forward to experimenting with our instance during upcoming
events :)

On Sun, 30 Aug 2020 at 02:01, Amir Sarabadani <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
> Due to the current situation, there are more and more collaborations
> happening online instead. and now you can see Wikimedia-related discussion
> groups in Slack, Discord, Telegram, Facebook, and many more. Besides being
> scattered and inaccessible to people who don't have accounts in those
> platforms (for privacy reasons for example), these platforms use
> proprietary and closed-source software, are outside Wikimedia
> infrastructure and some harvest our personal data for profit.
>
> IRC on freenode is a good alternative but it lacks basic functionalities of
> a modern chat platform. So we created Wikimedia Chat, a mattermost instance
> in Wikimedia Cloud. Compared to IRC, you have:
>     * Ability to scrollback and read messages when you were offline
>     * Push notification and email notification
>     * You don't need to get a cloak to hide your IP from others
>     * Proper support for sharing media
>     * Two factor authentication
>     * A proper mobile app support
>     * Ability to add custom emojis (yes, it's extremely important)
>     * Profile pictures
>     * Ability to ping everyone with @here
>     * much much more.
>
> You can use Wikimedia Chat by going to https://chat.wmcloud.org, anyone
> can
> make an account. This is part of Wikimedia Social suite [1], the oher
> similar project is "Wikimedia Meet". [2]
>
> Some notes:
> * This is done in my volunteer capacity and has been maintained by a group
> of volunteers. If you're willing to join the team (either technical or
> enforcing CoC, kicking out spammers, other daily work), drop me a message.
> * Privacy policy of Wikimedia Cloud applies: https://w.wiki/aQW
> * As a result, all messages older than 90 days get automatically deleted.
> * As a Wikimedia Cloud project, all of discussions, private and public are
> covered by Code of conduct in technical spaces:  https://w.wiki/AK$
>
> Hope that would be useful for you, if you encounter any technical issues,
> file a bug in the phabricator.
>
> [1] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Social_Suite
> [2] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Meet
>
> Best
> --
> Amir (he/him)

Léa Lacroix
Project Manager Community Communication for Wikidata

Wikimedia Deutschland e.V.
Tempelhofer Ufer 23-24
10963 Berlin
www.wikimedia.de

der Nummer 23855 Nz. Als gemeinnützig anerkannt durch das Finanzamt für

Re: Wikimedia Chat

Count Count
Hi!

Thanks for providing another communication tool.

Some questions:

   - Is there a reason why we are not using Wikimedia account SSO for the
   chat?
   - The Terms link leads directly to the Tech Code of Conduct. Shouldn't
   it link to  https://foundation.wikimedia.org/wiki/Terms_of_Use/en instead?
   After all terms are usually more than just a Code of Conduct.
   - The linked privacy policy
   <https://wikitech.wikimedia.org/wiki/Nova_Resource:Chat/Privacy_Policy> is
   a bit scary. It states that there is no expectation of privacy as my chats
   could be published at any time and that the administrators might have
   access to my username/password combination, which should not at all be
   necessary. Is that really the intent here?

Best regards,

Count Count

On Sun, Aug 30, 2020 at 2:00 AM Amir Sarabadani <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
> Due to the current situation, there are more and more collaborations
> happening online instead. and now you can see Wikimedia-related discussion
> groups in Slack, Discord, Telegram, Facebook, and many more. Besides being
> scattered and inaccessible to people who don't have accounts in those
> platforms (for privacy reasons for example), these platforms use
> proprietary and closed-source software, are outside Wikimedia
> infrastructure and some harvest our personal data for profit.
>
> IRC on freenode is a good alternative but it lacks basic functionalities of
> a modern chat platform. So we created Wikimedia Chat, a mattermost instance
> in Wikimedia Cloud. Compared to IRC, you have:
>     * Ability to scrollback and read messages when you were offline
>     * Push notification and email notification
>     * You don't need to get a cloak to hide your IP from others
>     * Proper support for sharing media
>     * Two factor authentication
>     * A proper mobile app support
>     * Ability to add custom emojis (yes, it's extremely important)
>     * Profile pictures
>     * Ability to ping everyone with @here
>     * much much more.
>
> You can use Wikimedia Chat by going to https://chat.wmcloud.org, anyone
> can
> make an account. This is part of Wikimedia Social suite [1], the oher
> similar project is "Wikimedia Meet". [2]
>
> Some notes:
> * This is done in my volunteer capacity and has been maintained by a group
> of volunteers. If you're willing to join the team (either technical or
> enforcing CoC, kicking out spammers, other daily work), drop me a message.
> * Privacy policy of Wikimedia Cloud applies: https://w.wiki/aQW
> * As a result, all messages older than 90 days get automatically deleted.
> * As a Wikimedia Cloud project, all of discussions, private and public are
> covered by Code of conduct in technical spaces:  https://w.wiki/AK$
>
> Hope that would be useful for you, if you encounter any technical issues,
> file a bug in the phabricator.
>
> [1] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Social_Suite
> [2] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Meet
>
> Best
> --
> Amir (he/him)

Re: Wikimedia Chat

RhinosF1 -
For the privacy policy question, that box is standard for anything hosted
with Cloud Services.

I'd trust Amir wouldn't do that but it reduces the responsibility of WMCS.

Thanks.

On Mon, 31 Aug 2020 at 08:56, Count Count <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> [...]
>
> > can
>
> > make an account. This is part of Wikimedia Social suite [1], the oher
>
> > similar project is "Wikimedia Meet". [2]
>

> > Some notes:
>
> > * This is done in my volunteer capacity and has been maintained by a
> group
>
> > of volunteers. If you're willing to join the team (either technical or
>
> > enforcing CoC, kicking out spammers, other daily work), drop me a
> message.
>
> > * Privacy policy of Wikimedia Cloud applies: https://w.wiki/aQW
>
> > * As a result, all messages older than 90 days get automatically deleted.
>
> > * As a Wikimedia Cloud project, all of discussions, private and public
> are
>
> > covered by Code of conduct in technical spaces:  https://w.wiki/AK$
>

> > Hope that would be useful for you, if you encounter any technical issues,

Samuel

Re: Wikimedia Chat

Amir Sarabadani-2
Hey!

On Mon, Aug 31, 2020 at 9:56 AM Count Count <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Thanks for providing another communication tool.
>
> Some questions:
>
>    - Is there a reason why we are not using Wikimedia account SSO for the
>    chat?

Due to the privacy policy of Wikimedia Cloud, we are not allowed to use SUL
or LDAP of Wikimedia or Wikitech respectively, but I have been looking into
improving the user integration because it has been asked in multiple
places. You can follow it in https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T261631

Mattermost doesn't have a native support for Wikimedia OAuth but it has
support for GitLab OAuth and funnily enough, since everything is
customizable in settings, I assume it should workTM, if yes, it would look
weird but it would work. If not, we have to file a bug in upstream
(mattermost) and ask for a general OAuth support.

   - The Terms link leads directly to the Tech Code of Conduct. Shouldn't
>    it link to  https://foundation.wikimedia.org/wiki/Terms_of_Use/en
> instead?
>    After all terms are usually more than just a Code of Conduct.

I don't have many preferences in that regard, I have one choice for terms
of use and can't decide between this or that.

>    - The linked privacy policy
>    <https://wikitech.wikimedia.org/wiki/Nova_Resource:Chat/Privacy_Policy>
> is
>    a bit scary. It states that there is no expectation of privacy as my
> chats
>    could be published at any time and that the administrators might have
>    access to my username/password combination, which should not at all be
>    necessary. Is that really the intent here?

As said before, this is the standard privacy policy that we must use in
order to comply with the Cloud terms of use
https://wikitech.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikitech:Cloud_Services_Terms_of_use

Not that I won't publish anything private, also the mattermost itself
protects private data (like passwords) by hashing them.

> Best regards,
>
> Count Count
>
> On Sun, Aug 30, 2020 at 2:00 AM Amir Sarabadani <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> > Due to the current situation, there are more and more collaborations
> > happening online instead. and now you can see Wikimedia-related
> discussion
> > groups in Slack, Discord, Telegram, Facebook, and many more. Besides
> being
> > scattered and inaccessible to people who don't have accounts in those
> > platforms (for privacy reasons for example), these platforms use
> > proprietary and closed-source software, are outside Wikimedia
> > infrastructure and some harvest our personal data for profit.
> >
> > IRC on freenode is a good alternative but it lacks basic functionalities
> of
> > a modern chat platform. So we created Wikimedia Chat, a mattermost
> instance
> > in Wikimedia Cloud. Compared to IRC, you have:
> >     * Ability to scrollback and read messages when you were offline
> >     * Push notification and email notification
> >     * You don't need to get a cloak to hide your IP from others
> >     * Proper support for sharing media
> >     * Two factor authentication
> >     * A proper mobile app support
> >     * Ability to add custom emojis (yes, it's extremely important)
> >     * Profile pictures
> >     * Ability to ping everyone with @here
> >     * much much more.
> >
> > You can use Wikimedia Chat by going to https://chat.wmcloud.org, anyone
> > can
> > make an account. This is part of Wikimedia Social suite [1], the oher
> > similar project is "Wikimedia Meet". [2]
> >
> > Some notes:
> > * This is done in my volunteer capacity and has been maintained by a
> group
> > of volunteers. If you're willing to join the team (either technical or
> > enforcing CoC, kicking out spammers, other daily work), drop me a
> message.
> > * Privacy policy of Wikimedia Cloud applies: https://w.wiki/aQW
> > * As a result, all messages older than 90 days get automatically deleted.
> > * As a Wikimedia Cloud project, all of discussions, private and public
> are
> > covered by Code of conduct in technical spaces:  https://w.wiki/AK$
> >
> > Hope that would be useful for you, if you encounter any technical issues,
> > file a bug in the phabricator.
> >
> > [1] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Social_Suite
> > [2] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Meet
> >
> > Best