Re: [Wikimedia-l] Berkman Klein Center: Will Wikipedia exist in, 20 years?

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Berkman Klein Center: Will Wikipedia exist in, 20 years?

Mathieu Stumpf Guntz
Hi Andreas,

I would find interesting to have a copy of that video on Commons. It
might for example let the community use curration/translation facilities
of subtitles of our platform. According to the bottomline "Unless
otherwise noted this site and its contents are licensed under a Creative
Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported license.", but the video is stored on
youtube, so I'm not sure the statement applies.

Actually, I don't know if that's already something on rails somewhere,
but encouraging educational establishment to publish their multimedia
works on commons should be targeted. All the more when they are already
publishing works under a free license. :)

Kind regards

Le 22/10/2017 à 14:00, [hidden email] a écrit :

> Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2017 03:20:57 +0100
> From: Andreas Kolbe <[hidden email]>
> Subject: [Wikimedia-l] Berkman Klein Center: Will Wikipedia exist in
> 20 years?
>
> Video featuring Katherine Maher, Executive Director of the Wikimedia
> Foundation, in conversation with Harvard Law School Professor Yochai
> Benkler:
>
> https://cyber.harvard.edu/events/2017/luncheon/10/Maher
>
> The material in this video touches on many points related to the Wikimedia
> movement's strategic direction, as discussed in other current threads on
> this list.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Berkman Klein Center: Will Wikipedia exist in, 20 years?

Cristian Consonni-3
On 24/10/2017 17:39, mathieu stumpf guntz wrote:

> Hi Andreas,
>
> I would find interesting to have a copy of that video on Commons. It
> might for example let the community use curration/translation facilities
> of subtitles of our platform. According to the bottomline "Unless
> otherwise noted this site and its contents are licensed under a Creative
> Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported license.", but the video is stored on
> youtube, so I'm not sure the statement applies.
>
> Actually, I don't know if that's already something on rails somewhere,
> but encouraging educational establishment to publish their multimedia
> works on commons should be targeted. All the more when they are already
> publishing works under a free license. :)

If you look at the video on Youtube[1], it says that its license is
indeed CC-BY (and indeed CC-BY 3.0 Unported, more info on this page[2])

So, I think that this can be uploaded also on Commons without issue.

On 22/10/2017 04:20, Andreas Kolbe wrote:
> Video featuring Katherine Maher, Executive Director of the Wikimedia
> Foundation, in conversation with Harvard Law School Professor Yochai
> Benkler:
>
> https://cyber.harvard.edu/events/2017/luncheon/10/Maher
>
> The material in this video touches on many points related to the Wikimedia
> movement's strategic direction, as discussed in other current threads on
> this list.

The video us very interesting because on one hand there is basically a
recap of what the strategic process has been, with data and results -
and this is mainly covered during kathering's presentation - but there
are also many insights on the "inner workings" of that process and,
finally, some of Katherine's viewpoints (during the discussion).

So I recommend watching the video as well.

Cristian

[1]: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oQF3jdaocM
[2]: https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/2797468

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Berkman Klein Center: Will Wikipedia exist in, 20 years?

Asaf Bartov
On Tue, Oct 24, 2017 at 7:20 PM Cristian Consonni <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> On 24/10/2017 17:39, mathieu stumpf guntz wrote:
> > I would find interesting to have a copy of that video on Commons. It
> > might for example let the community use curration/translation facilities
> > of subtitles of our platform. According to the bottomline "Unless
> > otherwise noted this site and its contents are licensed under a Creative
> > Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported license.", but the video is stored on
> > youtube, so I'm not sure the statement applies.
> >
> > Actually, I don't know if that's already something on rails somewhere,
> > but encouraging educational establishment to publish their multimedia
> > works on commons should be targeted. All the more when they are already
> > publishing works under a free license. :)
>
> If you look at the video on Youtube[1], it says that its license is
> indeed CC-BY (and indeed CC-BY 3.0 Unported, more info on this page[2])
>
> So, I think that this can be uploaded also on Commons without issue.

This is now done:
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Will_Wikipedia_exist_in_20_years-.webm

   A.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Berkman Klein Center: Will Wikipedia exist in, 20 years?

Mathieu Stumpf Guntz
Great, thank you Asaf.

Would it possible (both technically and legally) to also transfer
subtitles? They would surely need some fixes, as it's automated (I
guess) transcription , but it would probably be less workload than a
transcription from scratch. If so, I would be happy to translate it to
Esperanto — and the more obscure French language. ;)

Ĝis baldaŭ

Le 24/10/2017 à 22:08, Asaf Bartov a écrit :

> On Tue, Oct 24, 2017 at 7:20 PM Cristian Consonni <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> On 24/10/2017 17:39, mathieu stumpf guntz wrote:
>>> I would find interesting to have a copy of that video on Commons. It
>>> might for example let the community use curration/translation facilities
>>> of subtitles of our platform. According to the bottomline "Unless
>>> otherwise noted this site and its contents are licensed under a Creative
>>> Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported license.", but the video is stored on
>>> youtube, so I'm not sure the statement applies.
>>>
>>> Actually, I don't know if that's already something on rails somewhere,
>>> but encouraging educational establishment to publish their multimedia
>>> works on commons should be targeted. All the more when they are already
>>> publishing works under a free license. :)
>> If you look at the video on Youtube[1], it says that its license is
>> indeed CC-BY (and indeed CC-BY 3.0 Unported, more info on this page[2])
>>
>> So, I think that this can be uploaded also on Commons without issue.
>>
> This is now done:
> https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Will_Wikipedia_exist_in_20_years-.webm
>

>     A.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Berkman Klein Center: Will Wikipedia exist in, 20 years?

Asaf Bartov
On Tue, Oct 24, 2017 at 11:32 PM mathieu stumpf guntz <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Great, thank you Asaf.
>
> Would it possible (both technically and legally) to also transfer
> subtitles? They would surely need some fixes, as it's automated (I guess)
> transcription , but it would probably be less workload than a transcription
> from scratch. If so, I would be happy to translate it to Esperanto — and
> the more obscure French language. ;)

It would have been possible, had there been any subtitles. It seems the
YouTube version at the moment contains only machine-generated subtitles,
and those are not available in the same mechanism as human-generated
subtitles, so the (wonderful) video2commons tool could not import them.

Cheers,

   A.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Berkman Klein Center: Will Wikipedia exist in, 20 years?

Cornelius Kibelka
You can download the Youtube machine-generated subtitles, but they are not
really good (in terms of spelling, etc.). If someone is eager to review
them, I'm happy to upload them.

Cheers
Cornelius

On 25 October 2017 at 16:39, Asaf Bartov <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 24, 2017 at 11:32 PM mathieu stumpf guntz <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Great, thank you Asaf.
> >
> > Would it possible (both technically and legally) to also transfer
> > subtitles? They would surely need some fixes, as it's automated (I guess)
> > transcription , but it would probably be less workload than a
> transcription
> > from scratch. If so, I would be happy to translate it to Esperanto — and
> > the more obscure French language. ;)
> >
> It would have been possible, had there been any subtitles. It seems the
> YouTube version at the moment contains only machine-generated subtitles,
> and those are not available in the same mechanism as human-generated
> subtitles, so the (wonderful) video2commons tool could not import them.
>
> Cheers,
>
>    A.

Cornelius Kibelka
Program and Engagement Coordinator (PEC)
for the Wikimedia Conference

Tel. (030) 219 158 26-0
http://wikimedia.de

http://spenden.wikimedia.de/

Körperschaften I Berlin, Steuernummer 27/029/42207

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Berkman Klein Center: Will Wikipedia exist in, 20 years?

metasj
On Tue, Oct 24, 2017 at 12:20 PM, Cristian Consonni <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> If you look at the video on Youtube[1], it says that its license is

indeed CC-BY (and indeed CC-BY 3.0 Unported, more info on this page[2])

> So, I think that this can be uploaded also on Commons without issue.

Yes!  Thanks Asaf for the upload.

Katherine's talk was a welcome update & provocation.  A few notes from the
afternoon discussion w/Berkman fellows that followed:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/14QYg3iNWFIvWXkWALLxbYzuDS3Tj9faltJKwoHuhW1o/edit#

Sam.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Berkman Klein Center: Will Wikipedia exist in, 20 years?

Mathieu Stumpf Guntz
Yes, please, it would be warly welcome. Sure they are not good, but
still it might greatly help, especially if they come with relevant
timecodes.

Kind regards

Le 26/10/2017 à 01:07, Cornelius Kibelka a écrit :

> You can download the Youtube machine-generated subtitles, but they are
> not really good (in terms of spelling, etc.). If someone is eager to
> review them, I'm happy to upload them.
>
> Cheers
> Cornelius
>
> On 25 October 2017 at 16:39, Asaf Bartov <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     On Tue, Oct 24, 2017 at 11:32 PM mathieu stumpf guntz <
>     [hidden email]
>     <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     > Great, thank you Asaf.
>     >
>     > Would it possible (both technically and legally) to also transfer
>     > subtitles? They would surely need some fixes, as it's automated
>     (I guess)
>     > transcription , but it would probably be less workload than a
>     transcription
>     > from scratch. If so, I would be happy to translate it to
>     Esperanto — and
>     > the more obscure French language. ;)
>     >
>     It would have been possible, had there been any subtitles. It
>     seems the
>     YouTube version at the moment contains only machine-generated
>     subtitles,
>     and those are not available in the same mechanism as human-generated
>     subtitles, so the (wonderful) video2commons tool could not import
>     them.
>
>     Cheers,
>
>        A.
>
>     >
>     <mailto:[hidden email]
>     <mailto:[hidden email]>?subject=unsubscribe>
>

> --
> Cornelius Kibelka
> Program and Engagement Coordinator (PEC)
> for the Wikimedia Conference

> Tel. (030) 219 158 26-0
> http://wikimedia.de <http://wikimedia.de/>
>
> Stellen Sie sich eine Welt vor, in der jeder Mensch an der Menge allen
> Wissens frei teilhaben kann. Helfen Sie uns dabei!
> http://spenden.wikimedia.de/
>
> Wikimedia Deutschland - Gesellschaft zur Förderung Freien Wissens e.
> V. Eingetragen im Vereinsregister des Amtsgerichts
> Berlin-Charlottenburg unter der Nummer 23855 B. Als gemeinnützig
> anerkannt durch das Finanzamt für Körperschaften I Berlin,
> Steuernummer 27/029/42207

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Berkman Klein Center: Will Wikipedia exist in, 20 years?

Cornelius Kibelka
I've added them.

Cheers
Cornelius

On 26 October 2017 at 11:13, mathieu stumpf guntz <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Yes, please, it would be warly welcome. Sure they are not good, but still
> it might greatly help, especially if they come with relevant timecodes.
>
> Kind regards
>
> Le 26/10/2017 à 01:07, Cornelius Kibelka a écrit :
>
> You can download the Youtube machine-generated subtitles, but they are not
> really good (in terms of spelling, etc.). If someone is eager to review
> them, I'm happy to upload them.
>
> Cheers
> Cornelius
>
> On 25 October 2017 at 16:39, Asaf Bartov <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Oct 24, 2017 at 11:32 PM mathieu stumpf guntz <
>> [hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> > Great, thank you Asaf.
>> >
>> > Would it possible (both technically and legally) to also transfer
>> > subtitles? They would surely need some fixes, as it's automated (I
>> guess)
>> > transcription , but it would probably be less workload than a
>> transcription
>> > from scratch. If so, I would be happy to translate it to Esperanto — and
>> > the more obscure French language. ;)
>> >
>> It would have been possible, had there been any subtitles. It seems the
>> YouTube version at the moment contains only machine-generated subtitles,
>> and those are not available in the same mechanism as human-generated
>> subtitles, so the (wonderful) video2commons tool could not import them.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>>    A.

> Cornelius Kibelka
> Program and Engagement Coordinator (PEC)
> for the Wikimedia Conference

> Tel. (030) 219 158 <030%20219158> 26-0
> http://wikimedia.de
>
> Stellen Sie sich eine Welt vor, in der jeder Mensch an der Menge allen
> Wissens frei teilhaben kann. Helfen Sie uns dabei!
> http://spenden.wikimedia.de/

> Körperschaften I Berlin, Steuernummer 27/029/42207

--
Cornelius Kibelka
Program and Engagement Coordinator (PEC)
for the Wikimedia Conference

Tel. (030) 219 158 26-0
http://wikimedia.de

http://spenden.wikimedia.de/

Körperschaften I Berlin, Steuernummer 27/029/42207

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Berkman Klein Center: Will Wikipedia exist in, 20 years?

Lane Rasberry
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Predictions_of_Wikipedia%27s_end

Thanks Andreas, Mathieu, Christian, Asaf, Cornelius, and SJ for advancing
the conversation and promoting the video. I felt inspired also so I started
an article on English Wikipedia.

On Thu, Oct 26, 2017 at 12:09 PM, Cornelius Kibelka <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> I've added them.
>
> Cheers
> Cornelius
>
> On 26 October 2017 at 11:13, mathieu stumpf guntz <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Yes, please, it would be warly welcome. Sure they are not good, but still
> > it might greatly help, especially if they come with relevant timecodes.
> >
> > Kind regards
> >
> > Le 26/10/2017 à 01:07, Cornelius Kibelka a écrit :
> >
> > You can download the Youtube machine-generated subtitles, but they are
> not
> > really good (in terms of spelling, etc.). If someone is eager to review
> > them, I'm happy to upload them.
> >
> > Cheers
> > Cornelius
> >
> > On 25 October 2017 at 16:39, Asaf Bartov <[hidden email]> wrote:

> >> guess)
> >> transcription
> and
> >> >
> >> It would have been possible, had there been any subtitles. It seems the
> >> YouTube version at the moment contains only machine-generated subtitles,
> >> and those are not available in the same mechanism as human-generated
> >> subtitles, so the (wonderful) video2commons tool could not import them.
> >>
> >> Cheers,
> >>
> >>    A.

> > Cornelius Kibelka
> > Program and Engagement Coordinator (PEC)
> > for the Wikimedia Conference
> >
> > Wikimedia Deutschland e.V. | Tempelhofer Ufer 23-24 | 10963 Berlin
> > Tel. (030) 219 158 <030%20219158> 26-0
> > http://wikimedia.de
> >
> > Stellen Sie sich eine Welt vor, in der jeder Mensch an der Menge allen
> > Wissens frei teilhaben kann. Helfen Sie uns dabei!
> > http://spenden.wikimedia.de/
> >
> > Wikimedia Deutschland - Gesellschaft zur Förderung Freien Wissens e. V.
> > Eingetragen im Vereinsregister des Amtsgerichts Berlin-Charlottenburg
> unter
> > der Nummer 23855 B. Als gemeinnützig anerkannt durch das Finanzamt für
> > Körperschaften I Berlin, Steuernummer 27/029/42207
> >

> --
> Cornelius Kibelka
> Program and Engagement Coordinator (PEC)
> for the Wikimedia Conference

> Tel. (030) 219 158 26-0
> http://wikimedia.de
>
> Stellen Sie sich eine Welt vor, in der jeder Mensch an der Menge allen
> Wissens frei teilhaben kann. Helfen Sie uns dabei!
> http://spenden.wikimedia.de/

> Körperschaften I Berlin, Steuernummer 27/029/42207

Lane Rasberry
user:bluerasberry on Wikipedia
206.801.0814

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Berkman Klein Center: Will Wikipedia exist in, 20 years?

Mathieu Stumpf Guntz
Anyone know if it's possible to add comment in subtitles, I tried with a
"#" at the beginning of line, but it looks like it will just crash the
parser. I didn't found anything in the documentation
<https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Universal_Subtitles>.

Moreover, editing raw text in mediawiki in one tab and hearing at the
video in an other is probably not the most convenient graphical user
interface to make subtitle review, and trying to translate it on the fly
is surely even worse. :) Now the above documentation speak about Amara,
but I'm not sure how it's interfaced or not with Commons.

Please feel free to forward this email to wherever you feel more
appropriate.

Cheers