Re: [Wikimedia-l] Classification/Categorization games for Commons?

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Classification/Categorization games for Commons?

Yaroslav Blanter
I think it is pretty similar to what we have built in Wikidata, Do
Structured Commons folks want to comment?

Cheers
Yaroslav

On Wed, Jun 6, 2018 at 7:47 PM, Asaf Bartov <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi, folks.
>
> It occurs to me there are tens or hundreds of thousands of images donated
> en masse (GLAM etc.) that are only categorized as "image from X collection"
> or "Files donated by X", i.e. essentially uncategorized by content.
>
> This obviously greatly reduces the likelihood of discoverability and
> re-use.  But it's hard to find such files, and the massive categories
> (thousands of files, often) don't make organizing the work easy.
>
> I'm think of a gamified interface -- à la Wikidata Game -- that would let a
> volunteer (after OAuth identification) pick a category (from a pre-fed list
> of massive categories of donated files) and show one photo from the
> category that has only that category listed (i.e. has no categorization by
> content), and let the volunteer type (with auto-complete, like HotCat) some
> appropriate categories and hit Save, and the categories would be added, and
> the next file shown.
>
> (Optionally, a second layer of verification could be added, where
> volunteers would [also] be invited to vet or change previous volunteers'
> categorization, and actual change to categories on Commons would only take
> place after 2 (or N) users approved the categories.  I'm not at all sure
> this is needed, and I think we can start without it and see how it goes.)
>
> So, does something like this exist?  If not, who wants to build it? :)
>
>    A.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Classification/Categorization games for Commons?

Asaf Bartov-2
Absolutely; I wanted to know if such a tool perhaps already exists.  If one
does not, then definitely, if we develop a tool, it should look to the
future and be based on Structured Data on Commons already!

   A.

On Wed, Jun 6, 2018 at 8:54 PM Yaroslav Blanter <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I think it is pretty similar to what we have built in Wikidata, Do
> Structured Commons folks want to comment?
>
> Cheers
> Yaroslav
>
> On Wed, Jun 6, 2018 at 7:47 PM, Asaf Bartov <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hi, folks.
> >
> > It occurs to me there are tens or hundreds of thousands of images donated
> > en masse (GLAM etc.) that are only categorized as "image from X
> collection"
> > or "Files donated by X", i.e. essentially uncategorized by content.
> >
> > This obviously greatly reduces the likelihood of discoverability and
> > re-use.  But it's hard to find such files, and the massive categories
> > (thousands of files, often) don't make organizing the work easy.
> >
> > I'm think of a gamified interface -- à la Wikidata Game -- that would
> let a
> > volunteer (after OAuth identification) pick a category (from a pre-fed
> list
> > of massive categories of donated files) and show one photo from the
> > category that has only that category listed (i.e. has no categorization
> by
> > content), and let the volunteer type (with auto-complete, like HotCat)
> some
> > appropriate categories and hit Save, and the categories would be added,
> and
> > the next file shown.
> >
> > (Optionally, a second layer of verification could be added, where
> > volunteers would [also] be invited to vet or change previous volunteers'
> > categorization, and actual change to categories on Commons would only
> take
> > place after 2 (or N) users approved the categories.  I'm not at all sure
> > this is needed, and I think we can start without it and see how it goes.)
> >
> > So, does something like this exist?  If not, who wants to build it? :)
> >
> >    A.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Commons-l] Classification/Categorization games for Commons?

Alex Stinson-4
Two thoughts directly to this:

On Wed, Jun 6, 2018 at 3:43 PM, Gnangarra <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'd be more concern that the game throws up very generic and vague
> descriptions like, person, ship, cat, dog, tree, flowers, street. Which in
> itself might seem helpful but may not even highlight the important aspect.

Pushing images into narrower, but still generic, topic areas allows folks
who know more about, for example, ships or dog species or whatever, to
narrow the topic into something specific. We already do this in many ways
within the way folks use the category system on Commons -- it could be done
with structured data as well.

We would also want some type of confidence factor, I would think,
especially if we want the tool to appeal to newer folks in the community --
with less depth of experience working in our information structure.
Zooniverse and other similar visual-identification crowdsourcing projects,
usually have 2-3 volunteers confirm something before adding it directly to
the record.

>    - I would hope many of the GLAMs have embedded keywords in the meta
>    data/camera info which could be extracted like co-ords are.
>
> You would be surprised at how bad the metadata is in most collections --
only the most high profile collections will have good metadata (and one
perceived benefit of sharing GLAM content in public venues is the chance to
enrich metadata, by discovering details about the objects, that previously
the staff didn't know how to recognize). Wikimedia projects are really good
places to get mildly obscure collections (such as archival photos, or
under-researched museum objects) into the context of Wikimedia content.
Moreover, it's really hard to assess how to map these metadata concepts to
Wikimedia categories.  We actually saw this come up again and again in the
GLAM stakeholder research for commons:
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Research:Supporting_Commons_contribution_by_GLAM_institutions