Re: [Wikimedia-l] Community Tech survey on watchlist use

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Community Tech survey on watchlist use

Johan Jönsson-2
On Sat, Mar 26, 2016 at 1:06 AM, Danny Horn <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> WMF's Community Tech team is starting to work on a Cross-wiki watchlist,
> one of the top 10 wishes in the Community Wishlist Survey that we conducted
> at the end of last year. [1]
>
> We're running a survey on how people use their watchlists, to help inform
> our work.

Hi everyone,

A couple of months ago, the Community Tech team ran a survey to gather
information on how Wikimedians use their watchlists. You can see the
results here:
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Community_Tech/Cross-wiki_watchlist#Survey_results

If you're interested, there are also some very early and rough
wireframes available on the project page:
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Community_Tech/Cross-wiki_watchlist#Current_work.2C_for_discussion

//Johan Jönsson

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Community Tech survey on watchlist use

Bohdan Melnychuk
Hi!

How could one participate in the survey? I've just scrolled through past issues of Tech News and did not find any mention of the survey, nor I remember it mentioned in any other place. Was there some way to find about it besides from this list? Which readers are clearly not the most Wikimedia movement representative selection.

Yours,
--Base

21.05.2016, 04:21, "Johan Jönsson" <[hidden email]>:

> On Sat, Mar 26, 2016 at 1:06 AM, Danny Horn <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>  Hi everyone,
>>
>>  WMF's Community Tech team is starting to work on a Cross-wiki watchlist,
>>  one of the top 10 wishes in the Community Wishlist Survey that we conducted
>>  at the end of last year. [1]
>>
>>  We're running a survey on how people use their watchlists, to help inform
>>  our work.
>
> Hi everyone,
>
> A couple of months ago, the Community Tech team ran a survey to gather
> information on how Wikimedians use their watchlists. You can see the
> results here:
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Community_Tech/Cross-wiki_watchlist#Survey_results
>
> If you're interested, there are also some very early and rough
> wireframes available on the project page:
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Community_Tech/Cross-wiki_watchlist#Current_work.2C_for_discussion
>
> //Johan Jönsson

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Community Tech survey on watchlist use

Fæ
It is reasonable to presume watchlists are important for all active
Wikimedians on all projects, having a self-selected 'user sample
space' of 87, seems small. I know the survey was mentioned on this
email list and posted on some noticeboards, but it would have made
sense to hold open the survey, and send around a couple more notices,
until a few hundred people took part.[1]

To put this in context, there are currently more than 75,000 "active"
editors,[2] so a participation rate in a survey targeted at active
system contributors of 0.1% is statistically poor. Though a small
sample can highlight problems with the user experience, and even
discover bugs, you would probably need to aim for 0.5% to 1% of the
population to make statistically credible conclusions about what the
editor community prefers, or to justify investment in non-critical
system improvement. It is interesting to observe that if the sample
were engineered to be less self-selected, then statistically it might
be valid to draw conclusions from a relatively small sample.

I note that in the survey feedback, the home projects of users is not
reported. This is a pity as it is hard to judge if the survey was
biased to English speakers/writers, possibly as a consequence of the
languages of notices and emails posted.

Links
1. https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Community_Tech/Cross-wiki_watchlist
2. http://reportcard.wmflabs.org

Fae

On 23 May 2016 at 15:34, Bohdan Melnychuk <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> How could one participate in the survey? I've just scrolled through past issues of Tech News and did not find any mention of the survey, nor I remember it mentioned in any other place. Was there some way to find about it besides from this list? Which readers are clearly not the most Wikimedia movement representative selection.
>
> Yours,
> --Base
>
> 21.05.2016, 04:21, "Johan Jönsson" <[hidden email]>:
>> On Sat, Mar 26, 2016 at 1:06 AM, Danny Horn <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>  Hi everyone,
>>>
>>>  WMF's Community Tech team is starting to work on a Cross-wiki watchlist,
>>>  one of the top 10 wishes in the Community Wishlist Survey that we conducted
>>>  at the end of last year. [1]
>>>
>>>  We're running a survey on how people use their watchlists, to help inform
>>>  our work.
>>
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> A couple of months ago, the Community Tech team ran a survey to gather
>> information on how Wikimedians use their watchlists. You can see the
>> results here:
>> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Community_Tech/Cross-wiki_watchlist#Survey_results
>>
>> If you're interested, there are also some very early and rough
>> wireframes available on the project page:
>> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Community_Tech/Cross-wiki_watchlist#Current_work.2C_for_discussion
>>
>> //Johan Jönsson

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Community Tech survey on watchlist use

Johan Jönsson-2
Base:

> How could one participate in the survey? I've just scrolled through past issues of Tech News and did not find any mention of the survey, nor I remember it mentioned in any other place. Was there some way to find about it besides from this list? Which readers are clearly not the most Wikimedia movement representative selection.

Agreed – though it was mentioned in a few other places, it was never
meant to be a huge survey, and we're careful not to base too much of
the development on it. The point was to get some first feedback to
start working, and then gather more once we had something substantial
to show. Rather than gather a lot of information and then build
something, we hope to work with the community all the way through the
process, so to speak.

Fæ:

> It is reasonable to presume watchlists are important for all active
> Wikimedians on all projects, having a self-selected 'user sample
> space' of 87, seems small. I know the survey was mentioned on this
> email list and posted on some noticeboards, but it would have made
> sense to hold open the survey, and send around a couple more notices,
> until a few hundred people took part.[1]

A clarification: the cross-wiki watchlist is not supposed to replace
the existing watchlist. We're building it so that users who like it
and are active on several wikis can use it instead, but only if they
choose to.

//Johan Jönsson

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Community Tech survey on watchlist use

Trillium Corsage
My English Wikipedia talkpage is watchlisted by a surprising number of users that I have no cooperative or friendly editing relationship with. Some of them refer to themselves as "talkpage stalkers." Might it be possible for a user to prohibit such persons from watchlisting him or her? If it's not possible to selectively prohibit, how about an on/off switch, i.e. *no-one* may watchlist an editor's individual talkpage.

Trillium Corsage

21.05.2016, 02:20, "Johan Jönsson" <email clipped>:

> On Sat, Mar 26, 2016 at 1:06 AM, Danny Horn <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>  Hi everyone,
>>
>>  WMF's Community Tech team is starting to work on a Cross-wiki watchlist,
>>  one of the top 10 wishes in the Community Wishlist Survey that we conducted
>>  at the end of last year. [1]
>>
>>  We're running a survey on how people use their watchlists, to help inform
>>  our work.
>
> Hi everyone,
>
> A couple of months ago, the Community Tech team ran a survey to gather
> information on how Wikimedians use their watchlists. You can see the
> results here:
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Community_Tech/Cross-wiki_watchlist#Survey_results
>
> If you're interested, there are also some very early and rough
> wireframes available on the project page:
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Community_Tech/Cross-wiki_watchlist#Current_work.2C_for_discussion
>
> //Johan Jönsson

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Community Tech survey on watchlist use

David Goodman-2
talk-page stalker is not necessarily an unfriendly term. It's meant as an
explanation for why the person saw the question, and posted there. But
perhaps we could find a better term for this, as stalker does have
unfortunate connotations.

On Wed, May 25, 2016 at 2:40 PM, Trillium Corsage <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> My English Wikipedia talkpage is watchlisted by a surprising number of
> users that I have no cooperative or friendly editing relationship with.
> Some of them refer to themselves as "talkpage stalkers." Might it be
> possible for a user to prohibit such persons from watchlisting him or her?
> If it's not possible to selectively prohibit, how about an on/off switch,
> i.e. *no-one* may watchlist an editor's individual talkpage.
>
> Trillium Corsage
>
> 21.05.2016, 02:20, "Johan Jönsson" <email clipped>:
> > On Sat, Mar 26, 2016 at 1:06 AM, Danny Horn <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >>  Hi everyone,
> >>
> >>  WMF's Community Tech team is starting to work on a Cross-wiki
> watchlist,
> >>  one of the top 10 wishes in the Community Wishlist Survey that we
> conducted
> >>  at the end of last year. [1]
> >>
> >>  We're running a survey on how people use their watchlists, to help
> inform
> >>  our work.
> >
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > A couple of months ago, the Community Tech team ran a survey to gather
> > information on how Wikimedians use their watchlists. You can see the
> > results here:
> >
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Community_Tech/Cross-wiki_watchlist#Survey_results
> >
> > If you're interested, there are also some very early and rough
> > wireframes available on the project page:
> >
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Community_Tech/Cross-wiki_watchlist#Current_work.2C_for_discussion
> >
> > //Johan Jönsson

David Goodman

DGG at the enWP
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:DGG

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Community Tech survey on watchlist use

Newyorkbrad (Wikipedia)
"Talkpage watcher" would do fine.

Newyorkbrad/IBM

On 5/26/16, David Goodman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> talk-page stalker is not necessarily an unfriendly term. It's meant as an
> explanation for why the person saw the question, and posted there. But
> perhaps we could find a better term for this, as stalker does have
> unfortunate connotations.
>

> On Wed, May 25, 2016 at 2:40 PM, Trillium Corsage <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> My English Wikipedia talkpage is watchlisted by a surprising number of
>> users that I have no cooperative or friendly editing relationship with.
>> Some of them refer to themselves as "talkpage stalkers." Might it be
>> possible for a user to prohibit such persons from watchlisting him or her?
>> If it's not possible to selectively prohibit, how about an on/off switch,
>> i.e. *no-one* may watchlist an editor's individual talkpage.
>>
>> Trillium Corsage

>> watchlist,
>> conducted

>> inform
>> >
>> > Hi everyone,
>> >
>> > A couple of months ago, the Community Tech team ran a survey to gather
>> > information on how Wikimedians use their watchlists. You can see the
>> > results here:
>> >
>> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Community_Tech/Cross-wiki_watchlist#Survey_results
>> >
>> > If you're interested, there are also some very early and rough
>> > wireframes available on the project page:
>> >
>> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Community_Tech/Cross-wiki_watchlist#Current_work.2C_for_discussion
>> >
>> > //Johan Jönsson
>> > --

> David Goodman
>
> DGG at the enWP
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:DGG
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:DGG

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Community Tech survey on watchlist use

jmh649
Talk pages are for communication. If people were unable to watch these
pages they would become less useful.

On Thu, May 26, 2016 at 10:30 AM, Newyorkbrad <[hidden email]> wrote:

> "Talkpage watcher" would do fine.
>
> Newyorkbrad/IBM
>
> On 5/26/16, David Goodman <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > talk-page stalker is not necessarily an unfriendly term. It's meant as an
> > explanation for why the person saw the question, and posted there. But
> > perhaps we could find a better term for this, as stalker does have
> > unfortunate connotations.
> >

> > On Wed, May 25, 2016 at 2:40 PM, Trillium Corsage <
> [hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> My English Wikipedia talkpage is watchlisted by a surprising number of
> >> users that I have no cooperative or friendly editing relationship with.
> >> Some of them refer to themselves as "talkpage stalkers." Might it be
> >> possible for a user to prohibit such persons from watchlisting him or
> her?
> >> If it's not possible to selectively prohibit, how about an on/off
> switch,
> >> i.e. *no-one* may watchlist an editor's individual talkpage.
> >>
> >> Trillium Corsage

> >> watchlist,
> >> conducted

> >> inform

> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Community_Tech/Cross-wiki_watchlist#Survey_results

> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Community_Tech/Cross-wiki_watchlist#Current_work.2C_for_discussion

> > David Goodman
> >
> > DGG at the enWP
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:DGG
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:DGG

James Heilman
MD, CCFP-EM, Wikipedian

The Wikipedia Open Textbook of Medicine
www.opentextbookofmedicine.com

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Community Tech survey on watchlist use

Lodewijk
Yeah, I don't guess this is a matter of whether it is technically possible,
but rather if the community would like to allow such functionality (what
would then stop a troll to selectively disable all admins to watch his/her
talkpage?)

Lodewijk