Re: [Wikimedia-l] Remember Wikipedia Zero.. Where is the research about the effects of its demise?

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Remember Wikipedia Zero.. Where is the research about the effects of its demise?

HaeB
It's a reasonable question, for which the Wiki-research-l mailing list
(CCed) might be a better venue.

There is some data at
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Wikimedia_Foundation_Audiences_Metrics_%26_Insights_Q1_2018-19.pdf
(not
a full analysis, highlighting just two example countries)

Regards, HaeB

On Sun, Nov 24, 2019 at 11:19 PM Gerard Meijssen <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hoi,
> The BBC shows how dramatically expensive internet is in Africa.. For in my
> opinion local political reasons Wikipedia Zero has terminated. That is ok
> up to a point; the point being that we understand the consequences from
> this action.
>
> Given that our data is NOT local, people have to pay a premium. What are we
> going to do to compensate for expensive Wikipedia that replaced Wikipedia
> Zero? Did we study the effects or are we not interested in the consequences
> of our actions?
> Thanks,
>        GerardM
>
> https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-50516888

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Remember Wikipedia Zero.. Where is the research about the effects of its demise?

Gerard Meijssen-3
Thank you,
This is most helpful, the information shows abundantly clear that we lost
an audience. It shows that the decision of shutting down Wikipedia Zero has
not been a zero sum game. We may have made a political statement but it
came at the cost of our audience. It is important to realise that as always
those who make decisions like this are not bearing the brunt of their
actions.
Thanks,
     GerardM

On Mon, 9 Dec 2019 at 05:43, Tilman Bayer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> It's a reasonable question, for which the Wiki-research-l mailing list
> (CCed) might be a better venue.
>
> There is some data at
>
> https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Wikimedia_Foundation_Audiences_Metrics_%26_Insights_Q1_2018-19.pdf
> (not
> a full analysis, highlighting just two example countries)
>
> Regards, HaeB
>
> On Sun, Nov 24, 2019 at 11:19 PM Gerard Meijssen <
> [hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Hoi,
> > The BBC shows how dramatically expensive internet is in Africa.. For in
> my
> > opinion local political reasons Wikipedia Zero has terminated. That is ok
> > up to a point; the point being that we understand the consequences from
> > this action.
> >
> > Given that our data is NOT local, people have to pay a premium. What are
> we
> > going to do to compensate for expensive Wikipedia that replaced Wikipedia
> > Zero? Did we study the effects or are we not interested in the
> consequences
> > of our actions?
> > Thanks,
> >        GerardM
> >
> > https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-50516888

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Remember Wikipedia Zero.. Where is the research about the effects of its demise?

Federico Leva (Nemo)
Gerard Meijssen, 09/12/19 08:16:
> This is most helpful, the information shows abundantly clear that we lost
> an audience.

Or that we had (temporarily) gained one.

Federico