Re: [Wikimedia-l] Research Showcase Wednesday, July 26, 2017 at 11:30 AM (PST) 18:30 UTC

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Research Showcase Wednesday, July 26, 2017 at 11:30 AM (PST) 18:30 UTC

Andy Mabbett-2
On 25 July 2017 at 19:38, Sarah R <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Freedom versus Standardization: Structured Data Generation in a Peer
> Production CommunityBy *Andrew Hall*

There's some discussion of the talk , on the UK OSM mailing list:

   https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk-gb/2017-July/020401.html

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Research Showcase Wednesday, July 26, 2017 at 11:30 AM (PST) 18:30 UTC

Pine W
For what it's worth, I noted that when I tended the State of the Map USA
conference last year, there seemed to be a *higher* representation of women
in the conference than there were at the WikiConference USA events that
I've attended. I was surprised to hear the presenter say that OSM has 95%+
male participation, and I'd like to know the origin of that number. I was
so impressed by the relatively high percentage of female participants at
State of the Map USA that I had a conversation with one of the organizers
about how OSM seemed to be much more successful than Wikimedia at engaging
female contributors. Perhaps there are at least some places in which OSM
has relatively good gender diversity.

Pine

On Wed, Jul 26, 2017 at 1:39 PM, Andy Mabbett <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> On 25 July 2017 at 19:38, Sarah R <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Freedom versus Standardization: Structured Data Generation in a Peer
> > Production CommunityBy *Andrew Hall*
>
> There's some discussion of the talk , on the UK OSM mailing list:
>
>    https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk-gb/2017-July/020401.html

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Research Showcase Wednesday, July 26, 2017 at 11:30 AM (PST) 18:30 UTC

Jonathan Morgan
Andy: thanks for sharing this more widely. Looks like it sparked some
interesting conversation (and touched a few nerves!).

I just added a link to the manuscript
<http://www-users.cs.umn.edu/~hall/freedom_versus_standardization.pdf> to
the Showcase page. I hope that some of the discussion participants are
motivated to learn more about the study.

Thanks again,
Jonathan

wrote:

> On 25 July 2017 at 19:38, Sarah R <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Freedom versus Standardization: Structured Data Generation in a Peer
> > Production CommunityBy *Andrew Hall*
>
> There's some discussion of the talk , on the UK OSM mailing list:
>
>    https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk-gb/2017-July/020401.html

Jonathan T. Morgan
Senior Design Researcher
Wikimedia Foundation
User:Jmorgan (WMF) <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Jmorgan_(WMF)>

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Research Showcase Wednesday, July 26, 2017 at 11:30 AM (PST) 18:30 UTC

Andrew Hall
Hi Pine,

Thank you for sharing your experience at State of the Map USA. In the talk on Wednesday, I was referring to a survey of 426 OSM contributors by Haklay and Budhathoki [1] from 2010 where 96% of participants said they were male.

Thanks,
Andrew

> On Jul 26, 2017, at 5:06 PM, Pine W <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> For what it's worth, I noted that when I tended the State of the Map USA
> conference last year, there seemed to be a *higher* representation of women
> in the conference than there were at the WikiConference USA events that
> I've attended. I was surprised to hear the presenter say that OSM has 95%+
> male participation, and I'd like to know the origin of that number. I was
> so impressed by the relatively high percentage of female participants at
> State of the Map USA that I had a conversation with one of the organizers
> about how OSM seemed to be much more successful than Wikimedia at engaging
> female contributors. Perhaps there are at least some places in which OSM
> has relatively good gender diversity.
>
> Pine
>

> On Wed, Jul 26, 2017 at 1:39 PM, Andy Mabbett <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> On 25 July 2017 at 19:38, Sarah R <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Freedom versus Standardization: Structured Data Generation in a Peer
>>> Production CommunityBy *Andrew Hall*
>>
>> There's some discussion of the talk , on the UK OSM mailing list:
>>
>>   https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk-gb/2017-July/020401.html

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Research Showcase Wednesday, July 26, 2017 at 11:30 AM (PST) 18:30 UTC

Pine W
Hi Andrew,

Thanks for the info. Perhaps the statistics have changed since 2010. Are
you aware of any more recent studies?

It's entirely possible that the conference that I attended was an anomaly,
but in any case it would be good to have a more recent study (preferably
with a larger sample size and information about how sampling was done) if
that kind of information is available.

"Mapping parties" seem to be common in OSM, and if they're successful in
narrowing the gender gap that information might be of interest to Leila
given the kind of research that she's planning to do with trying to engage
cohorts of users in Wikimedia. If you know of research about about the
success of mapping parties with regards to diversity, it would be nice if
you could share.

Thanks,

Pine

On Fri, Jul 28, 2017 at 7:55 AM, Andrew Hall <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Pine,
>
> Thank you for sharing your experience at State of the Map USA. In the talk
> on Wednesday, I was referring to a survey of 426 OSM contributors by Haklay
> and Budhathoki [1] from 2010 where 96% of participants said they were male.

> Thanks,
> Andrew
>
> > On Jul 26, 2017, at 5:06 PM, Pine W <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > For what it's worth, I noted that when I tended the State of the Map USA
> > conference last year, there seemed to be a *higher* representation of
> women
> > in the conference than there were at the WikiConference USA events that
> > I've attended. I was surprised to hear the presenter say that OSM has
> 95%+
> > male participation, and I'd like to know the origin of that number. I was
> > so impressed by the relatively high percentage of female participants at
> > State of the Map USA that I had a conversation with one of the organizers
> > about how OSM seemed to be much more successful than Wikimedia at
> engaging
> > female contributors. Perhaps there are at least some places in which OSM
> > has relatively good gender diversity.
> >
> > Pine
> >

> > On Wed, Jul 26, 2017 at 1:39 PM, Andy Mabbett <[hidden email]
> >
> > wrote:

> >> There's some discussion of the talk , on the UK OSM mailing list:
> >>
> >>   https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk-gb/2017-
> July/020401.html

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Research Showcase Wednesday, July 26, 2017 at 11:30 AM (PST) 18:30 UTC

Andrew Hall
Hi Pine,

Sure, you’re welcome. Unfortunately, I’m not aware of any more recent statistics regarding the gender of OSM contributors.

With regards to mapping party diversity work, I’ll definitely share any information I come across. I’m not aware of any at this point.

Thanks,
Andrew