Re: [Wikimedia-l] Τι σας κάνει ευτυχισμένη αυτήν την εβδομάδα? / What's making you happy this week? (Week of 22 April 2018)

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Τι σας κάνει ευτυχισμένη αυτήν την εβδομάδα? / What's making you happy this week? (Week of 22 April 2018)

Alexandros Kosiaris
Aside from the actual content (it's nice to see the legal case in
Greece ending), seeing the subject in Greek was one more reason I
became happy. But I think a small correction is in place. A more
appropriate way of saying "What's making you happy this week?" would
be "Τι σας κάνει ευτυχείς αυτήν την εβδομάδα;", where "ευτυχείς" (an
adjective) would be the plural form of happy, which is used both when
addressing groups of people and when being polite. Alternatively
"ευτυχισμένους", could be used, with exact same meaning, just using
the participle form (and in the appropriate conjugation) instead of
the adjective. "Xαρούμενους" (again a participle, just of a different
verb) would also be valid with the same meaning for most people,
although if one wants to be pedantic, "χαρά" is closer to "joy" than
"happiness".

Alexandros Kosiaris <[hidden email]>

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Τι σας κάνει ευτυχισμένη αυτήν την εβδομάδα? / What's making you happy this week? (Week of 22 April 2018)

Pine W
Thank you for that information, Alexandros. :) I rely extensively on
machine translation, and online resources like Wiktionary, when I do
translations for these weekly threads in most languages. There will
probably be more linguistic errors in the future. Comments regarding
translations would be appreciated.

Pine

On Mon, Apr 30, 2018 at 2:57 AM, Alexandros Kosiaris <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Aside from the actual content (it's nice to see the legal case in
> Greece ending), seeing the subject in Greek was one more reason I
> became happy. But I think a small correction is in place. A more
> appropriate way of saying "What's making you happy this week?" would
> be "Τι σας κάνει ευτυχείς αυτήν την εβδομάδα;", where "ευτυχείς" (an
> adjective) would be the plural form of happy, which is used both when
> addressing groups of people and when being polite. Alternatively
> "ευτυχισμένους", could be used, with exact same meaning, just using
> the participle form (and in the appropriate conjugation) instead of
> the adjective. "Xαρούμενους" (again a participle, just of a different
> verb) would also be valid with the same meaning for most people,
> although if one wants to be pedantic, "χαρά" is closer to "joy" than
> "happiness".
>
> Regards,
>
> --
> Alexandros Kosiaris <[hidden email]>

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Τι σας κάνει ευτυχισμένη αυτήν την εβδομάδα? / What's making you happy this week? (Week of 22 April 2018)

Saint Johann
Or you could’ve just give a link somewhere with those messages to a page
where someone could drop you a translation in their language ;-)

Oleg

On 30/04/2018 21:05, Pine W wrote:

> Thank you for that information, Alexandros. :) I rely extensively on
> machine translation, and online resources like Wiktionary, when I do
> translations for these weekly threads in most languages. There will
> probably be more linguistic errors in the future. Comments regarding
> translations would be appreciated.
>
> Pine
>
> On Mon, Apr 30, 2018 at 2:57 AM, Alexandros Kosiaris <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Aside from the actual content (it's nice to see the legal case in
>> Greece ending), seeing the subject in Greek was one more reason I
>> became happy. But I think a small correction is in place. A more
>> appropriate way of saying "What's making you happy this week?" would
>> be "Τι σας κάνει ευτυχείς αυτήν την εβδομάδα;", where "ευτυχείς" (an
>> adjective) would be the plural form of happy, which is used both when
>> addressing groups of people and when being polite. Alternatively
>> "ευτυχισμένους", could be used, with exact same meaning, just using
>> the participle form (and in the appropriate conjugation) instead of
>> the adjective. "Xαρούμενους" (again a participle, just of a different
>> verb) would also be valid with the same meaning for most people,
>> although if one wants to be pedantic, "χαρά" is closer to "joy" than
>> "happiness".
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> --
>> Alexandros Kosiaris <[hidden email]>

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Τι σας κάνει ευτυχισμένη αυτήν την εβδομάδα? / What's making you happy this week? (Week of 22 April 2018)

Pine W
Hi Oleg.

Thanks for the suggestion. I have considered requesting that Wikimedia
volunteers translate "What's making you happy this week?" into their
languages. However, because this initiative appears to have a relatively
modest level of community support, and because volunteer translators' time
is so valuable, I am reluctant to request translators' time. If I continue
to be involved with this initiative for a few more months, or if I make a
particularly bad mistake in translation, then I may change my mind. (:

Regards,

Pine