Re: [Wikimedia-l] WikiData and WikiSpecies

Re: [Wikimedia-l] WikiData and WikiSpecies

Federico Leva (Nemo)
Ting Chen, 03/06/2013 11:29:
> I happened to worked with a few biology interwikis on WikiData today and
> saw the taxnomical data on it. Given that WikiData is growing and more
> potential would not it be a good idea to merge WikiSpecies data into
> WikiData

Yes,

> and close WikiSpecies (hope now there will no stones or rotten
> tomatos flying for this naive question ;-) )?

no.
<https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Wikidata:Project_chat/Archive/2013/02#Include_Wikispecies_into_Wikidata>
<http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikispecies-l/2013-January/thread.html>
TL;DR: Wikidata offers only a partial way to store information and no
real interface at all for browsing it.

Nemo

Re: [Wikimedia-l] WikiData and WikiSpecies

Federico Leva (Nemo)
Nikola Smolenski, 03/06/2013 11:44:
> What if this interface would exist? I believe it could be made really
> quickly and easily.

It's not about interface only, for instance the search backend is
completely broken and useless for Wikidata, AFAICS.
 From what I understand, the interface for Wikidata data is provided by
client sites such as Wikipedia. There are no plans for inclusion of
Wikispecies as client site, but if/when Wikispecies' needs are
implemented this doesn't imply Wikispecies would be useless, rather that
it would have easier access to data and could focus on its scope i.e.
presenting such data. Currently it tries to do both and IMHO fails at both.

Nemo

P.s.: There are also connected problems like sv.wiki becoming a
Wikispecies/Wikidata on its own with a million species bot-entries, but
it's another story.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] WikiData and WikiSpecies

Andrew Leung-5

I agree with Nemo. Please see my message written in January 2013 that demonstrates the problem (except it's worse because Wikidata is populated with more contents now than in January)
http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikispecies-l/2013-January/000076.html

Andrew

"Fill the world with children who care and things start looking up."