Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Chat

Strainu
În dum., 30 aug. 2020 la 03:00, Amir Sarabadani <[hidden email]> a scris:

> Hello,
> Due to the current situation, there are more and more collaborations
> happening online instead. and now you can see Wikimedia-related discussion
> groups in Slack, Discord, Telegram, Facebook, and many more. Besides being
> scattered and inaccessible to people who don't have accounts in those
> platforms (for privacy reasons for example), these platforms use
> proprietary and closed-source software, are outside Wikimedia
> infrastructure and some harvest our personal data for profit.

Hey Amir,

Please take this email as positive feedback, even if it might not
sound like it :)

As much as I value software freedom and my personal data, I've learned
during the years that the best conversations happen where people
converge naturally, not where one wants them to be. What you describe
below is an awesome list of features ... that already exist elsewhere.
I could give you an equally long list of things that are missing, but
individually, none of them matter. What matters is which platform most
people choose, based on which of the features are important for them.
And that platform might be different for different projects.

What that means is that Wikimedia Chat will be just another name in
that long list of apps that people choose to use or not. It's fine if
you want to maintain it, it's great if it will gain traction, but
don't be too upset if it will have the same usage as Wikimedia Spaces.

Strainu

> IRC on freenode is a good alternative but it lacks basic functionalities of
> a modern chat platform. So we created Wikimedia Chat, a mattermost instance
> in Wikimedia Cloud. Compared to IRC, you have:
>     * Ability to scrollback and read messages when you were offline
>     * Push notification and email notification
>     * You don't need to get a cloak to hide your IP from others
>     * Proper support for sharing media
>     * Two factor authentication
>     * A proper mobile app support
>     * Ability to add custom emojis (yes, it's extremely important)
>     * Profile pictures
>     * Ability to ping everyone with @here
>     * much much more.
>
> You can use Wikimedia Chat by going to https://chat.wmcloud.org, anyone can
> make an account. This is part of Wikimedia Social suite [1], the oher
> similar project is "Wikimedia Meet". [2]
>
> Some notes:
> * This is done in my volunteer capacity and has been maintained by a group
> of volunteers. If you're willing to join the team (either technical or
> enforcing CoC, kicking out spammers, other daily work), drop me a message.
> * Privacy policy of Wikimedia Cloud applies: https://w.wiki/aQW
> * As a result, all messages older than 90 days get automatically deleted.
> * As a Wikimedia Cloud project, all of discussions, private and public are
> covered by Code of conduct in technical spaces:  https://w.wiki/AK$
>
> Hope that would be useful for you, if you encounter any technical issues,
> file a bug in the phabricator.
>
> [1] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Social_Suite
> [2] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Meet
>
> Best
> --
> Amir (he/him)

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Chat

ZI Jony
I also have same problem like QEDK, I've also tried it on two different
networks after seen QEDK's email but both time out in the end.

On Sun, Aug 30, 2020, 9:21 PM Strainu <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> can
> > make an account. This is part of Wikimedia Social suite [1], the oher
> > similar project is "Wikimedia Meet". [2]
> >
> > Some notes:
> > * This is done in my volunteer capacity and has been maintained by a
> group
> > of volunteers. If you're willing to join the team (either technical or
> > enforcing CoC, kicking out spammers, other daily work), drop me a
> message.
> > * Privacy policy of Wikimedia Cloud applies: https://w.wiki/aQW
> > * As a result, all messages older than 90 days get automatically deleted.
> > * As a Wikimedia Cloud project, all of discussions, private and public
> are
> > covered by Code of conduct in technical spaces:  https://w.wiki/AK$
> >
> > Hope that would be useful for you, if you encounter any technical issues,

RhinosF1 -
Hi everyone,

They were issues with various things due to a CenturyLink outage that then
impacted a lot else. (IRCCloud / Cloudflare for example).

Maybe, try now?

Thanks,
RhinosF1

Samuel