Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Foundation named Knight News Challenge winner

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Foundation named Knight News Challenge winner

Fabrice Florin-2
Congrats to everyone who worked on the Knight grant!

As someone who applied three years in a row for a News Challenge grant, I can assure you this is no small feat. ;o)

The News Challenge contest is very competitive, with thousands of applications submitted in each round from some of the top names in nonprofit journalism. So it's a testament to all your hard work that we were named a winner this year.

Nicely done, you guys!

Fabrice

On Jan 17, 2013, at 11:09 AM, [hidden email] wrote:

> [...]
> access Wikipedia for free," said Sue Gardner, Executive Director of
> the Wikimedia Foundation. "I'm very happy Knight has chosen to support
> us; it's an important affirmation of our mobile work."
>
> Knight Foundation, the nation?s leading funder of journalism and media
> innovation, is committed to promoting democracy by supporting informed
> and engaged communities. Founded by newsmen John S. and James L.
> Knight, the foundation launched the Knight News Challenge in 2007 to
> find the next generation of innovations that help communities get the
> information they need.
>
> "Wikipedia has helped define the way that people collaboratively
> create content. Making the site available to more people across the
> world will help foster and spread that culture," said John Bracken,
> director for journalism and media innovation at Knight Foundation.
>
> The $600,000 News Challenge grant is for two years and follows a
> general support grant of $250,000 that Knight Foundation awarded to
> the Wikimedia Foundation in December 2012.
>
> The Wikimedia Foundation and the other winners of the challenge will
> present their projects via live Web stream at 12:30 p.m. ET/ 10:30
> a.m. MT Friday, January 18 at knightfoundation.org/live, from a
> gathering on the future of mobile at Arizona State University. (Follow
> #newschallenge on Twitter.)
>
> About the Wikimedia Foundation
>
> http://wikimediafoundation.org
> http://blog.wikimedia.org
>
> The Wikimedia Foundation is the non-profit organization that operates
> Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. According to comScore Media Metrix,
> Wikipedia and the other projects operated by the Wikimedia Foundation
> receive more than 483 million unique visitors per month, making them
> the fifth-most popular web property world-wide (comScore, November
> 2012). Available in 285 languages, Wikipedia contains more than 24
> million articles contributed by a global volunteer community of
> roughly 80,000 people. Based in San Francisco, California, the
> Wikimedia Foundation is an audited, 501(c)(3) charity that is funded
> primarily through donations and grants.
>
> Press contact
> Jay Walsh
> Senior Director, Communications
> Wikimedia Foundation
> Tel. +1 415-860-8166
> [hidden email]
>
> About the John S. and James L. Knight Foundation
>
> Knight Foundation supports transformational ideas that promote quality
> journalism, advance media innovation, engage communities and foster
> the arts. The foundation believes that democracy thrives when people
> and communities are informed and engaged. For more, visit
> knightfoundation.org or newschallenge.org
>
> Press contact
> Andrew Sherry
> VP for Communications, Knight Foundation
> Tel. 305-908-2677
> [hidden email]
>
> (To unsubscribe from Wikimedia Foundation press releases, reply with

_______________________________

Fabrice Florin
Product Manager
Wikimedia Foundation

Donate to keep Wikipedia free:
https://donate.wikimedia.org/

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Foundation named Knight News Challenge winner

phoebe ayers-3
On Thu, Jan 17, 2013 at 12:52 PM, Fabrice Florin <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Congrats to everyone who worked on the Knight grant!

+1, this is great! Congratulations to all!

best,
Phoebe

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Foundation named Knight News Challenge winner

Oona Castro
+1 to what Fabrice said (not only myself but many others I know have
applied a couple of times)

Congratulations!

Oona

On Thu, Jan 17, 2013 at 6:52 PM, Fabrice Florin <[hidden email]>wrote:

> [...]
> > journalism, advance media innovation, engage communities and foster
> > the arts. The foundation believes that democracy thrives when people
> > and communities are informed and engaged. For more, visit
> > knightfoundation.org or newschallenge.org
> >
> > Press contact
> > Andrew Sherry
> > VP for Communications, Knight Foundation
> > Tel. 305-908-2677
> > [hidden email]
> >
> > (To unsubscribe from Wikimedia Foundation press releases, reply with
> > "unsubscribe" in the subject line.)
> >

> _______________________________
>
> Fabrice Florin
> Product Manager
> Wikimedia Foundation
>
> Donate to keep Wikipedia free:
> https://donate.wikimedia.org/

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Foundation named Knight News Challenge winner

Everton Zanella Alvarenga
Awesome. I have close people that arrived in the finals of this
challenge, and I know how difficult it is to be awarded with this
prize.

Congratulations!

Tom

--
Everton Zanella Alvarenga (also Tom)
"A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more