Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimediameta-l] Bye

Nathan Awrich
On Mon, Feb 23, 2015 at 3:59 PM, John Mark Vandenberg <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Which email ? the crowdfunding email?
> Austin, do the list admins have another perspective to justify their
> action?
>
> --
> John Vandenberg

I'd like the answer to this question too.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimediameta-l] Bye

Fæ
On 24 February 2015 at 13:55, Nathan <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I'd like the answer to this question too.

Could there be some transparency please? I believe it would be a good
time for the list mods to publicly decide how appeals to moderation or
list-bans should work in a way that is credibly non-partisan to the
community.

Moderation should be seen to be fair and not subject to allegations of
it's a question of who is mates with whom, or who wants to keep the
most political capital with unnamed power-holders.

Fae

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimediameta-l] Bye

Cristian Consonni
> On Mon, Feb 23, 2015 at 3:59 PM, John Mark Vandenberg <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> Which email ? the crowdfunding email?
>> Austin, do the list admins have another perspective to justify their
>> action?

[...]
> I'd like the answer to this question too.

It does seem the crowdfunding e-mail, also the original e-mail was
crossposted to Commons-l and WIkimedia-l. Possibly Nemo overlooked
this, but anyway I do not think this is a good reason to put someone
in the moderation list.
If this was the rationale, this action should be undone.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimediameta-l] Bye

Lane Rasberry
Hello,

On English Wikipedia I have met with resistance in documenting crowdfunding
projects. I would like clarity on the extent to which the Wikimedia
community feels that it is acceptable to discuss crowdfunding in Wikimedia
community information channels.

I posted about this on the talk page
<
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_talk:Crowdfunding#User_banned_for_discussing_crowdfunding

If [[WP:CROWDFUNDING]], which is mostly blanked pending a community
discussion of whether crowdfunding can be mentioned.
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Crowdfunding>

yours,

On Tue, Feb 24, 2015 at 9:35 AM, Cristian Consonni <[hidden email]>

> > On Mon, Feb 23, 2015 at 3:59 PM, John Mark Vandenberg <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >>
> >> Which email ? the crowdfunding email?
> >> Austin, do the list admins have another perspective to justify their
> >> action?
>
> [...]
> > I'd like the answer to this question too.
>
> It does seem the crowdfunding e-mail, also the original e-mail was
> crossposted to Commons-l and WIkimedia-l. Possibly Nemo overlooked
> this, but anyway I do not think this is a good reason to put someone
> in the moderation list.
> If this was the rationale, this action should be undone.

Lane Rasberry
user:bluerasberry on Wikipedia
206.801.0814

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimediameta-l] Bye

Cristian Consonni
> On English Wikipedia I have met with resistance in documenting crowdfunding
> projects. I would like clarity on the extent to which the Wikimedia
> community feels that it is acceptable to discuss crowdfunding in Wikimedia
> community information channels.

As far as this mailing list [i.e. Wikimedia-l] is concerned I can say
that Wikimedia-related crowdfunding projects have been discussed here
in the past.

The first example is probably the "The Vanamo Online Game Museum"[1]
campaign and the last is a project to collect funds for a Wimiedian
photographer whose equipment was stolen[2].
Not to mention the WikiCheese campaign[3] by Wikimedia France which
generated more than some 50 messages on this list.

[1] https://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikimedia-l/2013-November/128695.html
[2] https://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikimedia-l/2014-December/075706.html
[3] https://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikimedia-l/2014-November/075476.html

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimediameta-l] Bye

jmh649
Hopefully this was just an error than. When is Nemo being un-moderated?

--
James Heilman
MD, CCFP-EM, Wikipedian

The Wikipedia Open Textbook of Medicine
www.opentextbookofmedicine.com

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimediameta-l] Bye

Austin Hair
On Tue, Feb 24, 2015 at 6:21 PM, Cristian Consonni
>> On English Wikipedia I have met with resistance in documenting crowdfunding
>> projects. I would like clarity on the extent to which the Wikimedia
>> community feels that it is acceptable to discuss crowdfunding in Wikimedia
>> community information channels.

With more and more Wikimedians engaging in crowdfunding, I suppose we
can talk about whether the mailing list for Wikimedia movement
organization is the place to advertise in this way. For my part, I
don't think a simple (i.e., without any additional context) "please
check out this Indiegogo" is any different from "hey, check out my
blog," so when the last one came through the queue I rejected it
without much thought. It certainly wasn't done with any prejudice.

> As far as this mailing list [i.e. Wikimedia-l] is concerned I can say
> that Wikimedia-related crowdfunding projects have been discussed here
> in the past.
>
> The first example is probably the "The Vanamo Online Game Museum"[1]
> campaign and the last is a project to collect funds for a Wimiedian
> photographer whose equipment was stolen[2].
> Not to mention the WikiCheese campaign[3] by Wikimedia France which
> generated more than some 50 messages on this list.

That's true. In the case of the former, the post was never held for
moderation, and it was *so* not a big deal that I didn't think twice
about that one, either. WikiCheese was a bit of fun that made us all
smile, and I guess if you really wanted to analyze it (I don't), it
was a project that invited broader participation and benefited the
community as a whole.

But, again, I really didn't care either way. The only reason this came
up here is because the latest poster had been put on moderation, and
some people are still unhappy about that.

Austin

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimediameta-l] Bye

Sage Ross
On Tue, Feb 24, 2015 at 10:43 AM, Austin Hair <[hidden email]> wrote:

> With more and more Wikimedians engaging in crowdfunding, I suppose we
> can talk about whether the mailing list for Wikimedia movement
> organization is the place to advertise in this way. For my part, I
> don't think a simple (i.e., without any additional context) "please
> check out this Indiegogo" is any different from "hey, check out my
> blog," so when the last one came through the queue I rejected it
> without much thought. It certainly wasn't done with any prejudice.

For my part, I always like to see crowdfunding pitches from
Wikimedians. There haven't been *that* many of them (maybe 8 or 10?),
and so far they've all (that I've seen) come from prolific
contributors.

These crowdfunding pitches generally take a lot more effort to put
together than a blog post does, and they are also easy and satisfying
to act on. If I can take 3 minutes and a few dollars to simultaneously
say thanks to a great contributor and help them make even better
contributions, I'm grateful for that opportunity.

-Sage