Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikipedia.org portal page update!

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikipedia.org portal page update!

Dan Garry
On 11 March 2016 at 10:52, ViswaPrabha (വിശ്വപ്രഭ) <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Failed my dream :(
>
> Any string in any language in any wikipedia project. How far is my dream?

I share your dream! :-)

Unfortunately, the dream is quite far away from reality. Querying every
search index would put a big performance strain on the search servers.
Additionally, it would likely return you a bunch of really irrelevant
results, so there's a lot of user experience implications that would need
to be figured out as well. Discovery is not actively working on this at
present.

Thanks,
Dan

--
Dan Garry
Lead Product Manager, Discovery

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikipedia.org portal page update!

metasj
Lovely work.

On Mar 11, 2016 5:32 PM, "Dan Garry" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 11 March 2016 at 10:52, ViswaPrabha (വിശ്വപ്രഭ) <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> > Failed my dream :(
> >
> > Any string in any language in any wikipedia project. How far is my
dream?

> I share your dream! :-)
>
> Unfortunately, the dream is quite far away from reality. Querying every
> search index would put a big performance strain on the search servers.

Perhaps you could do this w two queries, one to a composite index that is
only updated weekly.

> Additionally, it would likely return you a bunch of really irrelevant
results,

Make this opt-in, add a different background color for results from the
all-language index, & divide their search-relevance by a
language-prominence factor...

+SJ

On 11 March 2016 at 16:09, Samuel Klein <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Perhaps you could do this w two queries, one to a composite index that is
> only updated weekly.

Indeed, there are mechanisms that can make cross-wiki searching more
feasible. In fact, one mechanism we are in the very early stages of
exploring is merging all the projects in a given language into a single
index, so that one could search *all* projects in a language, rather than
just a single project in a given language. I have no timeline here; as I
said, we're in the very early stages, and of course we have other work on
the go at the same time.

> > Additionally, it would likely return you a bunch of really irrelevant
> results,
>
> Make this opt-in, add a different background color for results from the
> all-language index, & divide their search-relevance by a
> language-prominence factor...

I plan to worry more about the user experience implications that I
mentioned once we're a bit closer to solving the technical feasibility
questions. As you've shown, these are definitely solvable problems, but I
don't want to put the cart before the horse, as it were. :-)

Thanks,
Dan

--
Dan Garry
Lead Product Manager, Discovery

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikipedia.org portal page update!

Purodha Blissenbach
On 12.03.2016 01:09, Samuel Klein wrote:

> Lovely work.
>
> On Mar 11, 2016 5:32 PM, "Dan Garry" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On 11 March 2016 at 10:52, ViswaPrabha (വിശ്വപ്രഭ)
>> <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>> >
>> > Failed my dream :(
>> >
>> > Any string in any language in any wikipedia project. How far is my
> dream?
>> >

>> I share your dream! :-)
>>
>> Unfortunately, the dream is quite far away from reality. Querying
>> every
>> search index would put a big performance strain on the search
>> servers.
>
> Perhaps you could do this w two queries, one to a composite index
> that is
> only updated weekly.
>
>> Additionally, it would likely return you a bunch of really
>> irrelevant
> results,
>
> Make this opt-in, add a different background color for results from
> the
> all-language index, & divide their search-relevance by a
> language-prominence factor...

Which ideally can be taken from the clients "accept language" request
header.

Purodha

On Mar 11, 2016 19:32, "Dan Garry" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I plan to worry more about the user experience implications that I
> mentioned once we're a bit closer to solving the technical feasibility
> questions.

Fair enough! Great once more to see this update. It makes this a much more
engaging page to set as a browser default on public machines.

Sj

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikipedia.org portal page update!

Sam Klein
I'm using the portal much more these days!  Two thoughts, a few days in:

= Is there a way to turn on thumbnailing on the individual language wikis
too?

= Auto-suggesting language based on charset would be nice.  when searching
in multiple languages I always forget once to switch to the target language
and end up getting search results for kanji on he.wp or for hebrew on ja.wp

Thanks, SJ

Samuel Klein          @metasj          w:user:sj          +1 617 529 4266

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikipedia.org portal page update!

Deb Tankersley
Hi Sam,

We're glad you're using the Portal page more than usual and we hope that
with upcoming future enhancements, you'll continue to enjoy it!

For your first question - we are currently focusing on the wikipedia.org
portal page at this time. We have no immediate plans to update the
individual wiki's with this code but that doesn't mean that anyone in the
community can't use our code to update another wiki to use the meta data
and images as we did, in the search results.

For your second question, we actually have a ticket
<https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T129627> open to look for input exactly
like that. When a user types in a few words that are not in the language
that has been previously selected, we're hoping to be able to switch to
that "new" language on the fly. I agree that it'll be a very neat feature
for us to have on the portal!

Thanks for your input!

Cheers,

Deb