Re: [Wikimedia-l] [wikicite-discuss] Leaving the Wikimedia Foundation, staying on the wikis

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [wikicite-discuss] Leaving the Wikimedia Foundation, staying on the wikis

Aaron Halfaker-2
Dario.  DarTar.  My Friend Dario Who Drives a Super Mega Car[1].  I'm
really sad to see you go.

Let me take a moment to remember some of what you've done for Wiki
Research.  As far as I know, you're the first researcher hired to work at
the Wikimedia Foundation doing "research" (which at the time, I think was
really code for "bean counting").  You were the silent contributor to the
Summer of Research[2] -- which was one of the first serious efforts to
tackle a key research question by the Wikimedia Foundation.  You were a
(the?) founder of the Research Committee -- which seems like it was a great
idea that was too early for it's time.  After all, we still have people
supporting subject recruitment (mostly me and J-Mo) and we have an Open
Access Policy for all WMF supported research[3].  When you started at the
Wikimedia Foundation, there was no research team.  Now, when you're
leaving, there are multiple research teams!  The word "research" appears on
our staff page[4] 14 times both in role and team names!  I really think
that the Wikimedia Foundation is one of the best places to work for a young
ambitious researcher right now and that is largely due to your efforts and
vision.

Most importantly, I think you've changed the narrative.  Doing good
research, with strategic importance, and publishing openly are now seen as
Wikimedian activities.  They are real contributions that are supported and
rewarded as such because you were patient and tireless in your
communication.

Everything I do is easier because of what you have done.  So thank you.
Now go do some amazing stuff with open science for everyone -- to build on
top of the amazing stuff you'd already been doing for open science @
Wikimedia.

1. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOtmWxqN1fY
2.