Re: [WikimediaMobile] MobileFrontend disruption: Plans to break Minerva out into its own repository

Re: [WikimediaMobile] MobileFrontend disruption: Plans to break Minerva out into its own repository

Gergo Tisza
Nice! Thanks for working on this.

On Mon, Jul 3, 2017 at 7:03 PM, Jon Robson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> Chad (RainbowSprinkles) [2].
>
> I'm writing to give notice; answer questions and minimise the disruption
> that may cause. A while back when Vector was pulled out of MediaWiki core,
> there was a little bit of pain so I'm keen to help people avoid this.
>
> *Developers:*
> Please make sure you update vagrant. Vagrant will install the new skin as
> part of the MobileFrontend role and provided you do `vagrant git-update`
> you will not experience any breakage.
>
> If you are not using Vagrant, please install the new skin [3] and load it
> using wfLoadSkin (after including MobileFrontend extension). When
> MobileFrontend stops working thats a sign you need to pull the latest code
> from Master.
>
> *3rd parties who are using MobileFrontend in deployed wikis*
> Please be aware of this change when updating MobileFrontend. To be safe
> you should install the MinervaNeue skin [3] as part of your deploy process
> and keep an eye on compatibility.
>
> The MinervaNeue skin and MobileFrontend are being kept backwards
> compatibility to ensure we do not break anything in Wikimedia's production
> cluster, which is detailed in the Phabricator task [4].
>
> *Translators*
> As part of the migration I will be porting over translations to the new
> skin from MobileFrontend. There may be some changes to the message keys
> during this period of time so please bare this in mind when translating.
> The goal is to avoid unnecessary translations!
>
> *Why are you doing this?!!?*
> I've tried to write up this here [5]. Feel free to ask questions on the
> talk page there. It's a good conversation to have.
>
> *Can I just use MobileFrontend?*
> Sure. If you just have MobileFrontend it will give you a separate mobile
> site and you are free to use whatever skin you want there.
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:MobileFrontend#Setup_a_skin
>
> *Can I just use the Minerva skin and throw away my mobile site?*
> Not quite. But that's the next step that this enables... :) More on that
> later.
>
> *Any questions?*
> Feel free to reply to this thread with any concerns or questions you have
> or any way I can improve this migration.
>
> *Can I do nothing?*
> If you do not update sure, but if you are updating your instance it's
> going to break soon if you do not do anything.
>
> Let me know if any questions!
> Jon
>
> [1] https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T71366
> [2]  https://wikitech.wikimedia.org/wiki/Deployments#Week_of_July_10th
> [3] https://github.com/wikimedia/mediawiki-skins-MinervaNeue
> [4] https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T166748
> [5] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Reading/Web/
> MobileFrontend_and_Minerva#..._but_why_do_we_care_about_
> Minerva_as_a_desktop_skin.3F

Re: [WikimediaMobile] MobileFrontend disruption: Plans to break Minerva out into its own repository

יגאל חיטרון
Hi. The link [5] is dead.
IKhitron

> [...]
> >
> > *Any questions?*
> > Feel free to reply to this thread with any concerns or questions you have
> > or any way I can improve this migration.
> >
> > *Can I do nothing?*
> > If you do not update sure, but if you are updating your instance it's
> > going to break soon if you do not do anything.
> >
> > Let me know if any questions!
> > Jon
> >
> > [1] https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T71366
> > [2]  https://wikitech.wikimedia.org/wiki/Deployments#Week_of_July_10th
> > [3] https://github.com/wikimedia/mediawiki-skins-MinervaNeue
> > [4] https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T166748
> > [5] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Reading/Web/
> > MobileFrontend_and_Minerva#..._but_why_do_we_care_about_
> > Minerva_as_a_desktop_skin.3F

Re: [WikimediaMobile] MobileFrontend disruption: Plans to break Minerva out into its own repository

Bartosz Dziewoński
On 2017-07-04 19:46, יגאל חיטרון wrote:
> Hi. The link [5] is dead.
> IKhitron

It seems the list formatting broke it. The correct link is:

Shortened: http://tinyurl.com/y8jl2526

--
Bartosz Dziewoński

Re: [WikimediaMobile] MobileFrontend disruption: Plans to break Minerva out into its own repository

Derk-Jan Hartman
awesome !