Re: [Wikimediaindia-l] Wikipedia workshop in Carte Blanche, Chennai

Re: [Wikimediaindia-l] Wikipedia workshop in Carte Blanche, Chennai

BalaSundaraRaman
A preliminary update about the Carte Blanche event:
1. Feb 5:
I delivered the inaugural address as chief guest. I spoke about what all
constitute free software and content, why anyone should care (more in the
context of underserved needs of groups of people without market strengths and
fragmented markets like Indic users), and how all one can contribute. I pointed
at the "non-mainstream" projects which are relatively small and needing
contributors as opposed to well-known projects like GNU and Linux.

2. Feb 6:
There was a stall for Wikipedia and one for Wikibhasha. Surya Prakash mainly
volunteered at the Wikipedia stall and Mahir and others helped with the
logistics. Saravanan from Microsoft Research helped with both the stalls.
We had workshops in the afternoon with a very good infrastructure provided by
MIT. However, attendance at the workshops were not as good as for the stalls
(perhaps due to the OS workshop that ran in parallel). Tamil Wikians Surya
Prakash, Manian, Sengai Podhuvan, Mahir, and Paridhimathi and I spoke as well as
provided hands-on tutorials to the participants. Almost all participants created
accounts and made their first few edits there. One ILUG member invited us to
post projects for FOSS enthusiasts
at http://wiki.ilugc.in/index.php?title=Projects_List. Saravanan demoed a
special (yet-to-be released) version of WikiBhasha for Tamil and took our
feedback.

Some photos at http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Wiki_CB_Chennai
Tamil wiki page: http://j.mp/eLOVOy

Special thanks to go to Srikanth for connecting us with the organisers and
making all this possible. Thanks to Tinu who drove to deliver the wiki banners
to me.

I request the other volunteers to add further information on this thread.

- Sundar

Re: [Wikimedia-in-chn] [Wikimediaindia-l] Wikipedia workshop in Carte Blanche, Chennai

BalaSundaraRaman
Thanks Shrinivasan.

I've added one project proposal to
http://wiki.ilugc.in/index.php?title=Projects_List#Project_List

I needed to generate audio pronunciation guides for English phrases used in
Tamil Wiktionary (and other wiktionaries) from pronunciation files for the
individual words. I started out with the ambitious project and wrote some
scripts to download and identify candidate files. I tried the Linux cat command
and it seemed to work. So, I got help from Yuvi Panda and Kishore Kumar (via
Srikanth) who allowed me to run the scripts from a Linode belonging to KCG
iCell. However, when I did a test upload, it turned out that the embedded media
player on Wikimedia Commons stops at the end of the first word. Here, I need the
help of someone with MATLAB-like media processing experience willing to take
over the project at
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Bots/Requests/SundarBot

- Sundar

Re: [Wikimedia-in-chn] [Wikimediaindia-l] Wikipedia workshop in Carte Blanche, Chennai

BalaSundaraRaman
Some photos from the organisers:
http://csmit.org/gallery/index.php?level=album&id=22
(They're released under cc-by-nd, so can't be uploaded to commons. Shrinivasan,
is it possible to get only the wiki-related photos released under cc-by-sa
suitable for Wikimedia Commons?)

- Sundar