Re: Wikipedia / WikiMedia Bangalore WikiMeetup8 - Dec 20 , 2009

Re: Wikipedia / WikiMedia Bangalore WikiMeetup8 - Dec 20 , 2009

CherianTinu Abraham
The next meetup in Bangalore is on December 20, this Sunday.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Meetup/Bangalore/Bangalore8 Please sign up !

Just a reminder.

Thanks
Tinu Cherian

On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 12:07 PM, CherianTinu Abraham <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks to all who had attended the last WikiMeetup in Bangalore. It was a pleasure finally meeting User:Ganeshk in real life too.

Sorry for the last minute changes in this meetup venue.

I wish to thank Sunil Abraham ( of CIS) and CIS ( Centre for Internet and Society, Bangalore) for helping us host these WikiMeetups in Bangalore, without them this wouldnot have been possible smoothly.

The next meetup in Bangalore is in December.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Meetup/Bangalore/Bangalore8

We invite Wikipedians from other parts of India also to attend the WikiMeetups in Bangalore. It would be really good if Wikipedians in other metros/towns can host such meetups locally at their places also.

Regards
User:TinuCherian

Coordinating Google translation kit articles

Ravi shankar-12
Hi all,

Following the recent Wiki meet in Bangalore, Sundar (Tamil Wikipedian) brought to our notice that Google is contributing to various Indian language Wikis using Google translation kit and paid translators. In Tamil Wiki, we feel a strong need to corordinate / organize this activity andwe hope it is the same situation in many Indian language wikis.

So, may I propose that we discuss this in this mailing list and send a common notification from Indian language wikis to Google India? To begin with I propose the following. Please add to the list.

1. Google should appoint one coordinator each for every Indian language wiki where they contribute articles. This coordinator should be available to reach by mail and be adequately responsive (Say, once a week at least). He will take feedback from the wiki community and pass it to the paid contributors.

2. If Googe policy allows, they should know us the time frame and scale of this operation so we can plan accordingly.

3. Google should not translate existing articles because they are over riding previous contributions.

4. Each Wiki can submit a list of needed articles and the translators can consider giving priority from them.

5. Each Wiki can draft an essential Manual of Style which the translators shall follow.

6. Based on the responses for above, we shall periodically re-evaluate how we can continue to cooperate with Google.

After we finalise the list , some one of us who has links with Google India team can take this forward.

Thanks,

Ravi

(Tamil Wiki)

Re: Wikipedia / WikiMedia Bangalore WikiMeetup8 - Dec 20 , 2009

CherianTinu Abraham
Hi Wikipedians,
Thanks to all we had participated in the Wikimeetup 8 Bangalore.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Meetup/Bangalore/Bangalore8
The attendance was excellant.

Images at http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Bangalore_Meetup_Dec09

We also got good coverage from the media too.

Bangalore Mirror 21-Dec-09 Page 4

Deccan Chronicle Bangalore Ed 20-Dec-09 Page2
http://www.deccanchronicle.com/bengaluru/wikians-come-face-face-964

The next Meetup is on Jan 10, 2009.

Wishing you all a very happy new year !

Thanks
Tinu Cherian

On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 1:26 PM, CherianTinu Abraham <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Re: Coordinating Google translation kit articles

Srikanth Ramakrishnan
Might NOT bea good idea. Google seems to be interested in only their side of the story, and NOT ours. Atleast that's what it sounded like at the Meetup on 20th. We will discuss this [hopefully] on 10th..

2009/12/25 Ravi shankar <[hidden email]>
[...]

If any message seems out of the blue from this account, PLEASE call me up on my mobile to confirm it was sent by me.

PASLEO