Re: Wikipedia day/Patronage VIS ETH / fix a date

Re: Wikipedia day/Patronage VIS ETH / fix a date

Michael Bimmler

> Robin Schwab wrote:

> Now it's up to you to decide.

What just crossed my mind: If we want a "really prominent" person for
a speech (e.g. Jimbo) we would definitely need to ask him first, when
he has "time capacity". I mean otherwise we decide on June the xyth
and then Jimbo/the prominent guest  says "Oh what a pity, on June xyth
I can't come but it would have been possible one week later."
So as we only have 5 days left, we would need to *very quickly* ask
the relevant people when they would have time.
Regards
Michael

An eternity is very, very long, especially towards the end

Re: Wikipedia day/Patronage VIS ETH / fix a date

Robin Schwab-2
> What just crossed my mind: If we want a "really prominent" person for
> a speech (e.g. Jimbo) we would definitely need to ask him first, when
> he has "time capacity". I mean otherwise we decide on June the xyth
> and then Jimbo/the prominent guest  says "Oh what a pity, on June xyth
> I can't come but it would have been possible one week later."
> So as we only have 5 days left, we would need to *very quickly* ask
> the relevant people when they would have time.

I'm glad you address this topic and you're perfectly right. To me, it's
not that important to have these really prominent people although it
would be nice if someone could come. I wouldn't spend 1000 CHF for a
flight for Jimbo (I hope e forgives me if he sees this). If we try to
get multiple persons it's impossible fix a date that's fine for everybody.

Instead I would ask some "medium prominent" people like Bertrand Meyer
(and I hope he forgives me this term too) *after* fixing the date. As he
is in Switzerland (working very close to GEP) he might hold a speech for
a nice present and some drinks.

Do you know further persons we could invite for a speech?

Regards

Robin

2006/1/24, Robin Schwab <[hidden email]>:

> > What just crossed my mind: If we want a "really prominent" person for
> > a speech (e.g. Jimbo) we would definitely need to ask him first, when
> > he has "time capacity". I mean otherwise we decide on June the xyth
> > and then Jimbo/the prominent guest  says "Oh what a pity, on June xyth
> > I can't come but it would have been possible one week later."
> > So as we only have 5 days left, we would need to *very quickly* ask
> > the relevant people when they would have time.
>
> I'm glad you address this topic and you're perfectly right. To me, it's
> not that important to have these really prominent people although it
> would be nice if someone could come. I wouldn't spend 1000 CHF for a
> flight for Jimbo (I hope e forgives me if he sees this). If we try to
> get multiple persons it's impossible fix a date that's fine for everybody.

I don't think that you would need to pay him a flight...
(Angela/Delphine: You can definitely inform us here can't you?)
> Instead I would ask some "medium prominent" people like Bertrand Meyer
> (and I hope he forgives me this term too) *after* fixing the date. As he
> is in Switzerland (working very close to GEP) he might hold a speech for
> a nice present and some drinks.
Isn't this the man in whose WP-entry somebody announced his death
while he was still living. I'm not so sure whether he likes WIkipedia
so much at the moment.

> Do you know further persons we could invite for a speech?

Hm, question is whether we want people from the "Open-Source-Szene"
(there Manuel knows maybe a few names) or other people from a
"Bildungsumfeld".
Michael
> Regards
>
> Robin

An eternity is very, very long, especially towards the end

Re: Wikipedia day/Patronage VIS ETH / fix a date

Robin Schwab-2
> Isn't this the man in whose WP-entry somebody announced his death
> while he was still living. I'm not so sure whether he likes WIkipedia
> so much at the moment.

He's known as a good friend of WP:

http://se.ethz.ch/~meyer/publications/wikipedia/wikipedia.pdf

>>Do you know further persons we could invite for a speech?
>>

> Hm, question is whether we want people from the "Open-Source-Szene"
> (there Manuel knows maybe a few names) or other people from a
> "Bildungsumfeld".

Best would be a mixture of both. Maybe some of us could hold speeches
about working in WP. By the way: We could ask Christian Seidl.

Regards

  Robin

Re: Wikipedia day/Patronage VIS ETH / fix a date

Michael Bimmler
2006/1/24, Robin Schwab <[hidden email]>:
> > Isn't this the man in whose WP-entry somebody announced his death
> > while he was still living. I'm not so sure whether he likes WIkipedia
> > so much at the moment.
>
> He's known as a good friend of WP:
>
> http://se.ethz.ch/~meyer/publications/wikipedia/wikipedia.pdf

Oh. Let's invite him, then.

> >>Do you know further persons we could invite for a speech?
> >>

> > Hm, question is whether we want people from the "Open-Source-Szene"
> > (there Manuel knows maybe a few names) or other people from a
> > "Bildungsumfeld".
>
> Best would be a mixture of both. Maybe some of us could hold speeches
> about working in WP. By the way: We could ask Christian Seidl.

ad Christian: Yes, for sure.  ad "us": does anybody volunteer? (I
actually wouldn't really like to, I see myself rather at helping
newbies, giving introductions, talking to interested people, maybe a
little workshop, and the whole organisation around the meeting
itself).
Ad other people: Maybe some academic/nonacademic people who could say
something in general about "Freies Wissen".
> Regards

Regards
Michael