Re: [Wikipedia-l] Edits by project and country of origin

Re: [Wikipedia-l] Edits by project and country of origin

David Gerard-2
On 04/09/06, Akash Mehta <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > or perhaps http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Edits_by_project_and_country_of_origin

> 90% of australians edit on the enwiki only :( I'm sure there are many
> more than 10% of AUS wiki users who are fluent in a second language of
> which there is a wiki (frankly you'd be hard pressed to find a
> language spoken by Australians that didn't have a wiki).

According to the Australian Bureau of Statistics, 12.7% of people in
the 2001 Census speak a language other than English at home. Full
stats:

http://www.abs.gov.au/websitedbs/D3310116.NSF/85255e31005a1918852556c2005508d8/c47ad86d67c1466bca256ce0007e8d6b/$FILE/ATTH23CO/Exstatic%202%202005,%20Australia.xl
(Excel spreadsheet ... I shudder to think what they're using for a CMS
to get URLs like that)

> How regularly
> are the stats updated?

Yes, we need dates on the dataset. I want to refer to this page for
press reasons - en:wp editors by country is something they're
interested in for some reason.

- d.

Re: [Wikipedia-l] Edits by project and country of origin

> According to the Australian Bureau of Statistics, 12.7% of people in
> the 2001 Census speak a language other than English at home. Full
> stats:

http://www.abs.gov.au/websitedbs/D3310116.NSF/85255e31005a1918852556c2005508d8/c47ad86d67c1466bca256ce0007e8d6b/$FILE/ATTH23CO/Exstatic%202%202005,%20Australia.xls

(corrected URL-from-Hell)

- d.

Re: [Wikipedia-l] Edits by project and country of origin

Alphax (Wikipedia email)
David Gerard wrote:
> On 04/09/06, David Gerard <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> According to the Australian Bureau of Statistics, 12.7% of people in
>> the 2001 Census speak a language other than English at home. Full
>> stats:

<snip>
> (corrected URL-from-Hell)

Ever heard of tinyurl? :)

Re: [Wikipedia-l] Edits by project and country of origin

daniwo59
Here are some of the less egregious examples. In many cases, I can't  correct
them because I have no idea what they are talking about.

_http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chintada_
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chintada)

_http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kutiyana_
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kutiyana)

_http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kanaka_Durga_
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kanaka_Durga)

_http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kottapadi_
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kottapadi)

_http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kotkapura_
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kotkapura)

_http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manpur_ (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manpur)

Re: [Wikipedia-l] Edits by project and country of origin

Ray Saintonge
[hidden email] wrote:

>Here are some of the less egregious examples. In many cases, I can't  correct
>them because I have no idea what they are talking about.
>
>_http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chintada_
>(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chintada)
>
>_http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kutiyana_
>(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kutiyana)
>
>_http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kanaka_Durga_
>(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kanaka_Durga)
>
>_http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kottapadi_
>(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kottapadi)
>
>_http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kotkapura_
>(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kotkapura)
>
>_http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manpur_ (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manpur)

I remember the debate whe the only thing in the article about Tucson was
"Tucson is a city in Arizona."  India is a huge country with many, many
such small town.  Attention to details about them is more recent.  Give
it time.

Ec