Re: [Wikitech-l] Categories on nap.wikipedia.org don't work

Re: [Wikitech-l] Categories on nap.wikipedia.org don't work

Gerard Meijssen-3
Hoi,
I do not understand the need for markup in titles. I certainly believe
that when markup prevents correct orthography in titles in any
language, it means that markup cannot be handled in titles and
consequently the markup in titles should not be allowed.

As MediaWiki is about supporting all languages, markup in titles is
clearly at best a nice to have and certainly not a must have.
Representing orthographies is indeed a MUST have feature.

PS I cross-post to the Wiktionary list. As they have as their aim to
include all words in all languages, it affects ALL wiktionary
projects.

Thanks,
   GerardM

On 5/28/06, Sabine Cretella <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Brion Vibber schrieb:
> > Sabine Cretella wrote:
> >
> >> We really do need '' as normal chars and not to initiate text written in
> >> italics ... we must be able to include this in a wiki link in some way
> >> and also in a category link ... is there a way to get a different tag
> >> for that - something like <apostrophs> </apostrophs> or whatever?
> >>

> > Since '' can't be round-tripped reliably in wikitext, it's most likely that
> > we'll have to make '' explicitly forbidden in wiki page titles in the course of
> > fixing parser bugs.
> >
> > I strongly recommend you find another way of representing page titles that
> > doesn't require the use of markup.
> >
> You mean a language should change its ortography to comply with
> Mediawiki software? That sounds really strange ... and if instead of
> Neapolitan we talked about English, German or any other of the "big"
> languages? Must these then also comply to the software or do we then
> have the momentum when a way is being searched to have these languages
> write their titles correctly? Hmmm ...
>
> So what would you do if the English language had this requirement? Would
> you also say the whole world then must misspell because the software
> does not support it?
>
> Ciao, Sabine
> Chiacchiera con i tuoi amici in tempo reale!
>  http://it.yahoo.com/mail_it/foot/*http://it.messenger.yahoo.com

Re: [Wikitech-l] Categories on nap.wikipedia.org don't work

Muke Tever
GerardM <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 5/28/06, Sabine Cretella <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Brion Vibber schrieb:

Doesn't the regular, non-typewriter apostrophe <’> work, thus <’’>?

        *Muke!
--
website:     http://frath.net/
LiveJournal: http://kohath.livejournal.com/

FrathWiki, a conlang and conculture wiki:
http://wiki.frath.net/