Re: [Wikitech-l] a wysiwyg editor for wikipedia?

Re: [Wikitech-l] a wysiwyg editor for wikipedia?

David Gerard-2
On 31 May 2010 22:53, William Le Ferrand <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I've started to develop a simple wysiwyg editor that could be useful to
> wikipedia. Basically the editor gets the wiki code from wikipedai and builds
> the html on client side. Then you can edit the html code as you can imagine
> and when you are done another script converts the html back to wiki code.
>There is a simple demo here :
>http://www.corefarm.com:8080/wysiwyg?article=Open_innovation . You can try
>other pages from http://www.corefarm.com:8080/  (type the article name).
> You comments are welcomed!

What you're working on is a *hard* problem a lot of people have
attempted, with varying success. There's been some discussion of this
of late on mediawiki-l.

The default editor on new wikia.com wikis is WYSIWYG-only. This works
tolerably well (a bit buggy, but actively worked on).

The common WYSIWYG solution for MediaWiki is FCKeditor, which works
*almost* pretty well but:
(a) falls down badly when you try to mix WYSIWYG editing with wikitext
editing and chews up the wikitext
(b) doesn't cope very well with the weirdest stuff done on English
Wikipedia, where wikitext is tortured horribly to squeeze out every
possible emergent side-effect for editor's use
(c) is not actually being worked on at the moment. (Though one
mediawiki-l contributor says he's been using it to good effect on his
work intranet and is seeking permission to release back his changes
under GPL.)

http://mediawiki.fckeditor.net/
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:FCKeditor_%28Official%29

FCK+MediaWiki discussion recently:

http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/mediawiki-l/2010-May/thread.html#33896
http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/mediawiki-l/2010-May/thread.html#34061

You may care to have a look at FCKeditor+MediaWiki and see if you've
just reinvented the wheel and can help get that up to scratch. Or,
alternately, if your approach is different enough and better enough to
pursue nevertheless ;-)

- d.

On 31 May 2010 23:50, Angela <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> The default editor on new wikia.com wikis is WYSIWYG-only. This works
>> tolerably well (a bit buggy, but actively worked on).

> It's not WYSIWYG only. You can switch between that and regular
> wikitext whilst you're on the edit page using the "source" button, or
> you can select which you want to use in your preferences. A new
> version was released a couple of weeks ago, so many of the older bugs
> are now resolved. There are some new ones of course, but it's
> improving all the time. :)

:-D

How installable and workable is this on, say, any random work intranet
with a fairly generic MW 1.16 installation? I may give it a go at work

[cc to mediawiki-l]

- d.

Re: [Wikitech-l] a wysiwyg editor for wikipedia?

Angela-5
On Tue, Jun 1, 2010 at 8:55 AM, David Gerard <[hidden email]> wrote:
> How installable and workable is this on, say, any random work intranet
> with a fairly generic MW 1.16 installation? I may give it a go at work

As far as I know, the problem right now is that Wikia's rich text
editor requires core changes, rather than simply being an extension
you can install. The code is all available at
https://svn.wikia-code.com/ but it still needs to be packaged up to
make it easier for third-party use.

> ... and the problem with the wikitext being mangled is that diffs show
> a 100% text change for any alteration

Luckily this is now a rare bug, and not the norm. Work is ongoing to
resolve the remaining causes of this. The aim is for diffs to work in
exactly the same way as they do with wikitext-only.

Angela