Re: Your abuse of moderator status

Andre Engels
On Sat, Jun 26, 2010 at 3:32 PM, Jeffrey Peters
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Austin,
>
> Maybe you didn't realize but I am the top organizer of Wikiversity. Gerard's
> call for political activism against that organization is completely
> unacceptable and harms projects like my own that have to deal with large
> institutions and the rest.
>
> If you want to claim that I should be moderated, then push that fringe
> political view as you just did, then there is something very wrong here.
> Your statements about the legality have been 100% wrong, to an embarrassing
> extent. These two combined represent a very major problem.
>
> The Foundation-l is for Foundation discussion, and not for pushing fringe
> views that would embarrass our projects. You do realize that, right?
> Moderators serve only as long as they enforce that, and are you going to
> demonstrate in the above that you will be doing 100% opposite of your job?
>
> Sincerely,
> Jeffrey Peters
> aka Ottava Rima

1. My name is André, not Austin
2. The first one to call for moderation was you
3. If copyleft is embarassing wikiversity, then I propose you leave
the Wikimedia Foundation, because it happens to be  one of our
principles
4. I did not abuse my moderator status, i donáf [pyojh[- n[  ¾»bnyttfg

--
André Engels, [hidden email]

Re: Your abuse of moderator status

Austin Hair
On Sat, Jun 26, 2010 at 3:44 PM, Andre Engels <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sat, Jun 26, 2010 at 3:32 PM, Jeffrey Peters
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Austin,
>>
>> Maybe you didn't realize but I am the top organizer of Wikiversity. Gerard's
>> call for political activism against that organization is completely
>> unacceptable and harms projects like my own that have to deal with large
>> institutions and the rest.
>>
>> If you want to claim that I should be moderated, then push that fringe
>> political view as you just did, then there is something very wrong here.
>> Your statements about the legality have been 100% wrong, to an embarrassing
>> extent. These two combined represent a very major problem.
>>
>> The Foundation-l is for Foundation discussion, and not for pushing fringe
>> views that would embarrass our projects. You do realize that, right?
>> Moderators serve only as long as they enforce that, and are you going to
>> demonstrate in the above that you will be doing 100% opposite of your job?
>>
>> Sincerely,
>> Jeffrey Peters
>> aka Ottava Rima
>>

> 1. My name is André, not Austin
> 2. The first one to call for moderation was you
> 3. If copyleft is embarassing wikiversity, then I propose you leave
> the Wikimedia Foundation, because it happens to be  one of our
> principles
> 4. I did not abuse my moderator status, i donáf [pyojh[- n[  ¾»bnyttfg

Hm, I suspect he meant to send that to me.  Good reply though,
Andre—I'm happy to let you field list administrator e-mails any day.

Very simply, Jeffrey, I'll take you off moderation when you've
demonstrated that you can contribute to a topic without acting like a
jerk.  I've got to say that you're not doing a very good job of it, so
far.

Austin

On Sat, Jun 26, 2010 at 4:42 PM, Austin Hair <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sat, Jun 26, 2010 at 3:44 PM, Andre Engels <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On Sat, Jun 26, 2010 at 3:32 PM, Jeffrey Peters
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Austin,
>>>
>>> Maybe you didn't realize but I am the top organizer of Wikiversity. Gerard's
>>> call for political activism against that organization is completely
>>> unacceptable and harms projects like my own that have to deal with large
>>> institutions and the rest.
>>>
>>> If you want to claim that I should be moderated, then push that fringe
>>> political view as you just did, then there is something very wrong here.
>>> Your statements about the legality have been 100% wrong, to an embarrassing
>>> extent. These two combined represent a very major problem.
>>>
>>> The Foundation-l is for Foundation discussion, and not for pushing fringe
>>> views that would embarrass our projects. You do realize that, right?
>>> Moderators serve only as long as they enforce that, and are you going to
>>> demonstrate in the above that you will be doing 100% opposite of your job?
>>>
>>> Sincerely,
>>> Jeffrey Peters
>>> aka Ottava Rima
>>>

>> 1. My name is André, not Austin
>> 2. The first one to call for moderation was you
>> 3. If copyleft is embarassing wikiversity, then I propose you leave
>> the Wikimedia Foundation, because it happens to be  one of our
>> principles
>> 4. I did not abuse my moderator status, i donáf [pyojh[- n[  ¾»bnyttfg
>
> Hm, I suspect he meant to send that to me.  Good reply though,
> Andre—I'm happy to let you field list administrator e-mails any day.

I'm not sure whether I am though. This message plus the discussion
that was the base of it has cost me 50 Euros in things I broke
throwing them through my room, plus a severe loss of feeling of
self-worth. I don't think that's worth it.

--
André Engels, [hidden email]

Re: Your abuse of moderator status

Peter Gervai-5
On Sat, Jun 26, 2010 at 17:50, Andre Engels <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm not sure whether I am though. This message plus the discussion
> that was the base of it has cost me 50 Euros in things I broke
> throwing them through my room, plus a severe loss of feeling of
> self-worth. I don't think that's worth it.

By the way I'm sure there are several of us who agree in Jefrrey being
very much off limits, offending, and doing it at the wrong place,
which is usually shortened as "being a troll".

Wikipedia, wikimedia and the people around here are working with,
based on and most definitely agree with open content and other free
licenses, the whole project lives of and based on them, so starting a
propaganda against it _HERE_ is definitely a very unwise and offending
move. Without much thinking it's obvious that it will generate strong
emotions, harsh attacks, and lots of ad hominem debates, and nothing,
really nothing good will be created as a result.

Not accepting the fact that people who create open content are going
to fight against businesses who try to destroy open content is a
clueless thing to do. Debating it is similarly clueless act. You do
not start debate someone's existence with him.

I (among others) strongly agree in Jeffrey being moderated until he
realise that his propaganda really does not belong here. It is against
almost everybody's world view around here, and offending a whole
community with reasons we consider at best baseless is extremely
counterproductive.

And, as a sidenote, we're not pirates, robbers, murderers or rapers.
[And other artifically emotion-filled buzzwords supporting the
closed-content based businesses, pick your favourite.] We _create_
open content. We _create_ copyrighted materials (and license them for
free). Jeffrey, among others, is using our products, our content. That
is what Creative Commons is about. To protect our interests, business
or other. And who are you, or anyone, to attack our interests based on
our own content...?

And as a different sidenote: if you hate it, stop using it. Try to
live your life without using open source, open content. Go on. First,
stop using this list, because it is run on open source software,
running on open source servers. Then you may well unplug your internet
connection, since good chance is that you connect to one of such
servers. You mostly better stop using the web, since the servers are
open source by large. Stop email. You may even have to avoid some
mobile phones, Tv set top boxes, DVD players, music players, and so
on. Oh and avoid Wikipedia, and other Wikimedia content, and mostly
all wikis. Fortuinately you can eat and drink and breath. But avoid
computers since they'll surely pollute your business-based pureness
with open content filth. *smirk*

--
 byte-byte,
    grin

Re: Your abuse of moderator status

Milos Rancic-2
On Sat, Jun 26, 2010 at 8:41 PM, Peter Gervai <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sat, Jun 26, 2010 at 17:50, Andre Engels <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I'm not sure whether I am though. This message plus the discussion
>> that was the base of it has cost me 50 Euros in things I broke
>> throwing them through my room, plus a severe loss of feeling of
>> self-worth. I don't think that's worth it.
>
> By the way I'm sure there are several of us who agree in Jefrrey being
> very much off limits, offending, and doing it at the wrong place,
> which is usually shortened as "being a troll".
>
> Wikipedia, wikimedia and the people around here are working with,
> based on and most definitely agree with open content and other free
> licenses, the whole project lives of and based on them, so starting a
> propaganda against it _HERE_ is definitely a very unwise and offending
> move. Without much thinking it's obvious that it will generate strong
> emotions, harsh attacks, and lots of ad hominem debates, and nothing,
> really nothing good will be created as a result.
>
> Not accepting the fact that people who create open content are going
> to fight against businesses who try to destroy open content is a
> clueless thing to do. Debating it is similarly clueless act. You do
> not start debate someone's existence with him.
>
> I (among others) strongly agree in Jeffrey being moderated until he
> realise that his propaganda really does not belong here. It is against
> almost everybody's world view around here, and offending a whole
> community with reasons we consider at best baseless is extremely
> counterproductive.
>

> And, as a sidenote, we're not pirates, robbers, murderers or rapers.
> [And other artifically emotion-filled buzzwords supporting the
> closed-content based businesses, pick your favourite.] We _create_
> open content. We _create_ copyrighted materials (and license them for
> free). Jeffrey, among others, is using our products, our content. That
> is what Creative Commons is about. To protect our interests, business
> or other. And who are you, or anyone, to attack our interests based on
> our own content...?
>
> And as a different sidenote: if you hate it, stop using it. Try to
> live your life without using open source, open content. Go on. First,
> stop using this list, because it is run on open source software,
> running on open source servers. Then you may well unplug your internet
> connection, since good chance is that you connect to one of such
> servers. You mostly better stop using the web, since the servers are
> open source by large. Stop email. You may even have to avoid some
> mobile phones, Tv set top boxes, DVD players, music players, and so
> on. Oh and avoid Wikipedia, and other Wikimedia content, and mostly
> all wikis. Fortuinately you can eat and drink and breath. But avoid
> computers since they'll surely pollute your business-based pureness
> with open content filth. *smirk*

I first checked is he a board member of WM AU. Fortunately, he is not.

I am agreed with everything, except that there are some of us who
politically support free usage of copyrighted material. And I didn't
know that Lessig supports it. Thanks to Ottava, I am positively
changing my position toward Lessig.

Re: Your abuse of moderator status

Rich Holton
Please, someone confirm for me that he was not put on moderation because of
his views, but rather because of his behavior!

-Rich Holton

On Sat, Jun 26, 2010 at 21:31, Rich Holton <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Please, someone confirm for me that he was not put on moderation because of
> his views, but rather because of his behavior!

Definitely for his language. There are people with simlarly radical
views unmoderated. :-)

On Sat, Jun 26, 2010 at 9:31 PM, Rich Holton <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Please, someone confirm for me that he was not put on moderation because of
> his views, but rather because of his behavior!

Yes, and I think I said as much at the time.

Austin

Re: Your abuse of moderator status

Thomas Dalton
On 26 June 2010 14:44, Andre Engels <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 26, 2010 at 3:32 PM, Jeffrey Peters
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Austin,
>>
>> Maybe you didn't realize but I am the top organizer of Wikiversity.

Wikiversity has a "top organizer"? What does that mean?

Re: Your abuse of moderator status

Nathan Awrich
On Sun, Jun 27, 2010 at 8:55 AM, Thomas Dalton <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 26 June 2010 14:44, Andre Engels <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On Sat, Jun 26, 2010 at 3:32 PM, Jeffrey Peters
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Austin,
>>>
>>> Maybe you didn't realize but I am the top organizer of Wikiversity.
>
> Wikiversity has a "top organizer"? What does that mean?

According to Ottava, he is in charge of Wikiversity - sort of its
equivalent of Jimmy. He says the position was created through all of
his hard work and dedication.

Re: Your abuse of moderator status

quiddity-2
On Sun, Jun 27, 2010 at 10:05 AM, Nathan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 27, 2010 at 8:55 AM, Thomas Dalton <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On 26 June 2010 14:44, Andre Engels <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> Wikiversity has a "top organizer"? What does that mean?
>>

> According to Ottava, he is in charge of Wikiversity - sort of its
> equivalent of Jimmy. He says the position was created through all of
> his hard work and dedication.

Huh? How so?
http://toolserver.org/~soxred93/pcount/index.php?name=Ottava+Rima&lang=en&wiki=wikiversity
http://en.wikiversity.org/w/index.php?title=Special:Contributions&limit=250&target=Ottava+Rima
Citation required (for everything mentioned above).

Re: Your abuse of moderator status

William Pietri
On 06/27/2010 12:10 PM, quiddity wrote:
>> According to Ottava, he is in charge of Wikiversity - sort of its
>> equivalent of Jimmy. He says the position was created through all of
>> his hard work and dedication.
>>
> Huh? How so?
> http://toolserver.org/~soxred93/pcount/index.php?name=Ottava+Rima&lang=en&wiki=wikiversity
> http://en.wikiversity.org/w/index.php?title=Special:Contributions&limit=250&target=Ottava+Rima
> Citation required (for everything mentioned above).

Interesting. That led me to rummage a little, and apparently this is not
the first time Ottava Rima has had trouble meeting project behavioral
norms. He's currently under a 1-year ban on the English Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Arbitration/Requests/Case/Ottava_Rima_restrictions

As part of that, Jayron32 describes what he sees as "Ottava Rima's
standard MO": "He starts an entirely inappropriate discussion, and as
soon as other editors call him on it, he starts to give 'official
warnings' and all sorts of other inappropriate responses."

Given that this is recurring drama-creating behavior, perhaps we can
move on to the "ignore" stage of WP:RBI.

William

On 27 June 2010 20:42, William Pietri <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Given that this is recurring drama-creating behavior, perhaps we can
> move on to the "ignore" stage of WP:RBI.

On enwiki, we did that ages ago. I don't believe he is blocked on
Wikiversity (yet).

On 06/27/2010 12:45 PM, Thomas Dalton wrote:
> On 27 June 2010 20:42, William Pietri<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>
>> >  Given that this is recurring drama-creating behavior, perhaps we can
>> >  move on to the "ignore" stage of WP:RBI.
>>
> On enwiki, we did that ages ago. I don't believe he is blocked on
> Wikiversity (yet).

Sorry I wasn't clear. When I said "we", I meant foundation-l, not
anything broader.

William

Re: Your abuse of moderator status

WJhonson
In a message dated 6/27/2010 12:45:55 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
[hidden email] writes:

On 27  June 2010 20:42, William Pietri <[hidden email]> wrote:
>  Given that this is recurring drama-creating behavior, perhaps we can
>  move on to the "ignore" stage of WP:RBI.

On enwiki, we did that ages  ago. I don't believe he is blocked on
Wikiversity (yet).  >>
--------------

Challenging the use of the word "ages" above.
_http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special:Log&type=block&page=User:
Ottava+Rima_
(http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special:Log&type=block&page=User:Ottava+Rima)

To me ages implies a term longer than six months.
An interesting and verbose block log.
Unsolicited and probably unwanted advice, possibly from a person who has a
similar personality -- I have learned to never, ever, ever look at my
Watchlist.

I make my changes, and move on, and never look back.  Thus, I never  weep
over the massacre made on my beautiful workmanship.  Weeping does not  turn
into gnashing of teeth, and does not proceed into daggers of  vengeance, then
to the remorse caused by unwanted punishment.

Interesting that a recent mod (prior to banning) was to Ada  Lovelace.  I
*just yesterday*, believe it or don't, posted  an update on Ada's pre-modern
ancestry to the gen-med list. /  soc.gen.med group.

Odd co-incidence. Makes me wonder what cosmic significance I'm  supposed to
draw here.

Will "Co-incidentally connected" Johnson

Re: Your abuse of moderator status

Victor Vasiliev
On 06/28/2010 01:00 AM, [hidden email] wrote:
> I make my changes, and move on, and never look back.  Thus, I never  weep
> over the massacre made on my beautiful workmanship.  Weeping does not  turn
> into gnashing of teeth, and does not proceed into daggers of  vengeance, then
> to the remorse caused by unwanted punishment.

I believe there was some research which claimed that quality of articles
tended to decrease dramatically if they were not watched by their main
authors.

--vvv

Re: Your abuse of moderator status

Geoffrey Plourde
Now if we were to get into a pissing contest over the top organizers of Wikiversity, I would say the persons most likely to be considered founders would be John Schmidt, Cormac Lawler, and Robert Horning. Ottava does have a point that he is one of the most senior active custodians, since not that many of the custodians are active.

________________________________
On 26 June 2010 14:44, Andre Engels <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 26, 2010 at 3:32 PM, Jeffrey Peters
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Austin,
>>
>> Maybe you didn't realize but I am the top organizer of Wikiversity.

Wikiversity has a "top organizer"? What does that mean?

Re: Your abuse of moderator status

James Alexander-3
It has been said already in  different ways but since it appears not
to be being followed. As much as i may disagree with some of what he
said and the way he said it talking about Ottava on this list at the
moment has become at best off-topic.

Continuing to talk about our concerns and problems about a user who is
either on moderation or no longer subscribed to the list (and
therefore much less likely to be either a current problem on the list
or able to respond) is neither on-topic or to be honest fair. Neither
of the two emails should have been sent in the first place and even
ignoring that the conversation has gone on to long.

Let's end this.

James Alexander
Jamesofur