Re:lingua franca in discussions was: Wikiquette bei Wikimedia Schweiz

Re:lingua franca in discussions was: Wikiquette bei Wikimedia Schweiz

Michael Bimmler
I absolutely agree here, what needs to be considered however is the following:
If we have discussions about formal/legal things (e.g. about the form of the foundation), it gets awfully difficult to translate these terms into English. But we should certainly try to write as much as possible in English from now on. If someone didn't understand one particular previous (german) mail, he shall please post the subject of the mail or, if this doesn't make it clear the url in the wikipedia mail archive, to the list, so that someone can translate this mail into english or give at least an abstract.
Regards
Michael

2006/1/10, Claudio M. <[hidden email]>:
2006/1/6, Delphine Ménard <[hidden email]>:

> And it is respect towards all of those who don't speak German to use
> English as a preferred language.
>
> Nando Manuel and Michael have answered better than I would, but let me
> say one thing. I hereby thank all of those who have made the effort to
> keep debates and discussions in English, so as to allow all those
> interested to participate. I would find it very sad that Wikimedia CH,
> which is, if any, one of the most interesting chapter when it comes to
> multilingualism, kept Swiss citizens away just because they *don't*
> speak German.

Purtroppo, la popolazione svizzero-tedesca - se non mi sbaglio, ma io
in Geografia sono sempre stato negato - è di numero maggiore rispetto
a quella francese, a quella italiana e alla romancia.
Che vanno in quest'ordine di diffusione, per l'appunto: prima i
tedeschi, poi i francesi, poi quelli italiani e infine i romanci.
Di parlanti in lingua italiana, su Wikimedia CH, chi c'è? Ilario, e io
come supporter. E poi ci sei tu, Delphine :D

The problem is - right - "is it fair to use only German, in WikimediaCH?".
No, it's unfair. People should force themselves to write in English,
just to be understandable even by all those people who don't know
german, french, italian or... roman (i don't know the name of the
language).
This doesn't mean that people must NOT speak in their native language,
but only that there should be ALWAYS a continous effort in writing in
english (even when - as in my case - the written english is totally
awful). That mean: you're not able to express yourself in english? Ok,
write in your native language. Someone else will translate it for you.
But what that means (again)? That means that no one should take
advantage of this help, writing in their native language even if they
know english, cause "somebody else will translate it for me". And that
means also that no one should make a "political affair" over "speaking
their own language": go away, nationalism!

(naturally, the horrible way I wrote in english, and all the mistakes
I made, are dued by my voluntee to demonstrate the effort needed. It's
not cause I'm not that good in english. Right. Trust me. I'm serious.
Really. Ok? :D )

an italian Gatto Nero who's always trying to be useful, sometime

An eternity is very, very long, especially towards the end

Re: lingua franca in discussions was: Wikiquette bei Wikimedia Schweiz

Robin Schwab-2
Hi all together

Michael Bimmler schrieb:
> I absolutely agree here, what needs to be considered however is the
> following:
> If we have discussions about formal/legal things (e.g. about the form of
> the foundation), it gets awfully difficult to translate these terms into
> English. But we should certainly try to write as much as possible in
> English from now on. If someone didn't understand one particular

I do agree for the Homepage, but not for this mailinglist in general.
AFAIK there are just very few persons that understand english better
than german. All is it worth the effort? For me, I don't like the idea
that all of my mails in english are being archived.

Regards

Robin

Re: lingua franca in discussions was: Wikiquette bei Wikimedia Schweiz

Michael Bimmler
Well, some people here are speaking Italian (I don't know about french people) and I think, we should try to include them in discussions, as the important discussions are all conducted here and hardly any are conducted on ch.wikimedia.org
So I think it's a question of fairness to make statements comprehensible for everybody. And, if you don't want to make public you english mails, you can just post in German, and somebody will make a translation/abstract.

2006/1/10, Robin Schwab <[hidden email]>:
Hi all together