Re: wifi connections

Phoebe Ayers-2
Hi John,

We're planning to have wifi in the venue, yes. A pack of Wikipedians without internet... is like football fans without vuvuzelas. Or something.

For everyone making a presentation, however, I would strongly urge you (just as a general rule of thumb) to bring a copy of the presentation with any screenshots you need on your laptop or on USB -- just in case the internet goes down at the critical moment when you need it to present!

phoebe

--
WikiSym 2010: July 7-9 | http://wikisym.org/ws2010
http://phoebeayers.info | [hidden email]

On Sun, Jul 4, 2010 at 11:54 AM, John Dove <[hidden email]> wrote:
Please excuse me if this has been answered previously.  Will there be good wifi connections in the meeting areas as well as the housing?

-john dove

--
John Dove, President
Credo Reference

[hidden email]
+1 781.964.2325 (mobile)

“Credo's Got My Attention Again!" – Cheryl LaGuardia, Library Journal, January 26, 2010, upon learning of Credo signing up for images from the National Gallery

Re: wifi connections

Takashi OTA
Hi Phoebe, and all,

On Mon, Jul 5, 2010 at 4:43 AM, phoebe ayers <[hidden email]> wrote:
> We're planning to have wifi in the venue, yes. A pack of Wikipedians without
> internet... is like football fans without vuvuzelas. Or something.

Is Wi-Fi available in the accommodations, especially in the dorms?

--Takashi OTA [[User:Takot]]

Re: wifi connections

Isha-3
No, is not.

On Mon, Jul 5, 2010 at 9:08 AM, Takashi OTA <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Phoebe, and all,

On Mon, Jul 5, 2010 at 4:43 AM, phoebe ayers <[hidden email]> wrote:
> We're planning to have wifi in the venue, yes. A pack of Wikipedians without
> internet... is like football fans without vuvuzelas. Or something.

Is Wi-Fi available in the accommodations, especially in the dorms?

--Takashi OTA [[User:Takot]]

Re: wifi connections

Gerard Meijssen-3
Hoi,
Whart does it take to have WIFI ? I can bring a router, I know people with really cool kit... not having WIFI would be really nasty
Thanks,
      GerardM

On 5 July 2010 22:08, Isha <[hidden email]> wrote:
No, is not.

On Mon, Jul 5, 2010 at 9:08 AM, Takashi OTA <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Phoebe, and all,

On Mon, Jul 5, 2010 at 4:43 AM, phoebe ayers <[hidden email]> wrote:
> We're planning to have wifi in the venue, yes. A pack of Wikipedians without
> internet... is like football fans without vuvuzelas. Or something.

Is Wi-Fi available in the accommodations, especially in the dorms?

--Takashi OTA [[User:Takot]]

Re: wifi connections

R.Stuart Geiger
I'm not sure about the other accommodations, but there is free wired internet access in every room here at the Dom Sonata (Akademia Muzyczna student dormitory no. 2).  I didn't think it was a Wikimania dorm (booked it myself), but I met a fellow Wikimaniac this afternoon who said he was assigned here after registering for the conference.  Anyways, someone with a router could give wifi to at least part of the building for those without their own ethernet cables, but I don't think it is that necessary.

Stuart

On Mon, Jul 5, 2010 at 10:19 PM, Gerard Meijssen <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hoi,
Whart does it take to have WIFI ? I can bring a router, I know people with really cool kit... not having WIFI would be really nasty
Thanks,
      GerardM

On 5 July 2010 22:08, Isha <[hidden email]> wrote:
No, is not.

On Mon, Jul 5, 2010 at 9:08 AM, Takashi OTA <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Phoebe, and all,

On Mon, Jul 5, 2010 at 4:43 AM, phoebe ayers <[hidden email]> wrote:
> We're planning to have wifi in the venue, yes. A pack of Wikipedians without
> internet... is like football fans without vuvuzelas. Or something.

Is Wi-Fi available in the accommodations, especially in the dorms?

--Takashi OTA [[User:Takot]]

Re: wifi connections

brian.mcneil-2
On Mon, 2010-07-05 at 22:19 +0200, Gerard Meijssen wrote:
> Hoi,
> Whart does it take to have WIFI ? I can bring a router, I know people
> with really cool kit... not having WIFI would be really nasty

Per a quiet caution by Brion in 2008. If you're using *any* WiFi point
in, or around, conference or accommodation areas, use
https://secure.wikimedia.org.

Brian.

Re: wifi connections

Steven Walling
Per that helpful suggestion, the "https everywhere" extension for Firefox (courtesy the EFF) will automatically redirect you to the secure server.

Steven Walling

On Mon, Jul 5, 2010 at 4:49 PM, Brian McNeil <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Mon, 2010-07-05 at 22:19 +0200, Gerard Meijssen wrote:
> Hoi,
> Whart does it take to have WIFI ? I can bring a router, I know people
> with really cool kit... not having WIFI would be really nasty

Per a quiet caution by Brion in 2008. If you're using *any* WiFi point
in, or around, conference or accommodation areas, use
https://secure.wikimedia.org.

Brian.

Re: wifi connections

KIZU Naoko
Hi Stuart,

I'm at Dom Sonata and the lady in reception gave me a cable (a 2m
one). If someone has no cable, just ask for it.  I suppose in Dom
Muzyka things would go alike.

On Mon, Jul 5, 2010 at 10:38 PM, R.Stuart Geiger <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm not sure about the other accommodations, but there is free wired
> internet access in every room here at the Dom Sonata (Akademia Muzyczna
> student dormitory no. 2).  I didn't think it was a Wikimania dorm (booked it
> myself), but I met a fellow Wikimaniac this afternoon who said he was
> assigned here after registering for the conference.  Anyways, someone with a
> router could give wifi to at least part of the building for those without
> their own ethernet cables, but I don't think it is that necessary.
> Stuart
>

> On Mon, Jul 5, 2010 at 10:19 PM, Gerard Meijssen <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hoi,
>> Whart does it take to have WIFI ? I can bring a router, I know people with
>> really cool kit... not having WIFI would be really nasty
>> Thanks,
>>       GerardM
>>
>> On 5 July 2010 22:08, Isha <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> No, is not.

KIZU Naoko
http://d.hatena.ne.jp/Britty (in Japanese)

Re: wifi connections

Takashi OTA
Hi,

I'm in the Baltic Philharmonic. While I'm able to use wifi now,
but it seems some wifi adapters or tools are not good to communicate with...
It actually link on the wifi layer, but the DHCP server fails to
deliver valid IP
addresses, resulting to show the local link IP address (like 169.254.x.x).

- Lenovo's ThinkVantage Access Connections (on the ThinkPad): failed
- Intel's PROSet Wireless WiFi utility: succeeded, but sometimes failed
- iPad: mostly failed, but sometimes succeeded
- iPhone: mostly failed, but sometimes succeeded

I'm not sure why such a phenomenon happens, or whether it depends on
the wifi adapters or not, anyway, hopes this helps someone.

--Takashi

Re: wifi connections

Manuel Schneider-3
This is strange, because in the office we all use this wifi network and
I haven't seen anyone having issues with it.

Make sure that you connect to the network with ESSID "3com1".

/Manuel

Am 08.07.2010 11:00, schrieb Takashi OTA:

> Hi,
>
> I'm in the Baltic Philharmonic. While I'm able to use wifi now,
> but it seems some wifi adapters or tools are not good to communicate with...
> It actually link on the wifi layer, but the DHCP server fails to
> deliver valid IP
> addresses, resulting to show the local link IP address (like 169.254.x.x).
>
> - Lenovo's ThinkVantage Access Connections (on the ThinkPad): failed
> - Intel's PROSet Wireless WiFi utility: succeeded, but sometimes failed
> - iPad: mostly failed, but sometimes succeeded
> - iPhone: mostly failed, but sometimes succeeded
>
> I'm not sure why such a phenomenon happens, or whether it depends on
> the wifi adapters or not, anyway, hopes this helps someone.
>
> --Takashi

Regards
Manuel Schneider

www.wikimedia.ch

Re: wifi connections

Takashi OTA
On Thu, Jul 8, 2010 at 11:06 AM, Manuel Schneider
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> This is strange, because in the office we all use this wifi network and
> I haven't seen anyone having issues with it.
>
> Make sure that you connect to the network with ESSID "3com1".

Thanks for that info, Manuel.
I was trying with ESSID "filharmonia...(snip)". I will try "3com1" next time.

--Takashi