Read access to patrolled flag in wikimedia API

Read access to patrolled flag in wikimedia API

Сибирев Кирилл
Hi, we are using wikimedia http api for getting pages recent changes [1]. We'd like to be able to distinguish patrolled and unpatrolled revisions and this feature is supported according to docs, but we still can't use it because of access permissions. For example if i making requests like [2] or [3] i am getting {"code": "permissiondenied", "info": "You need the \"patrol\" or \"patrolmarks\" right to request the patrolled flag."} error.

This API behaviour looks inconsistent to me, because anyone can see patrolled/unpatrolled colored markup at wikipedia revision history web pages. I think patrol right should be checked only at write (ones that mark revisions patrolled or not) API requests and not for read requests.

Is this behaviour really inconsistent and implemented that way due to technical restrictions or am i missing something? Can it be changed, so we can get patrolling information for revisions or maybe there are some workarounds exist?

[1] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/API:RecentChanges
[2] https://en.wikipedia.org/w/api.php?action=query&list=recentchanges&rcprop=title|patrolled&rclimit=3
[3] https://en.wikipedia.org/w/api.php?action=query&list=recentchanges&rcprop=title&rcshow=patrolled&rclimit=3

Re: Read access to patrolled flag in wikimedia API

bawolff
Are you sure that patrol status is shown as colour coding on history pages?
I'm pretty sure its not.

If you mean kind of the dim yellow colour (like in
https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=List_of_programs_broadcast_by_Adult_Swim&action=history
for the moment, but that will likely change soon), that means a pending
change, which is a different system from patrolling.

Note, on enwikipedia (but not other projects) RC patrolling is disabled,
and only new page patrol is enabled (so only the first revision can have a
patrol status).

--
Brian

On Tue, Mar 5, 2019 at 4:13 PM Сибирев Кирилл <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hi, we are using wikimedia http api for getting pages recent changes [1].
> We'd like to be able to distinguish patrolled and unpatrolled revisions and
> this feature is supported according to docs, but we still can't use it
> because of access permissions. For example if i making requests like [2] or
> [3] i am getting {"code": "permissiondenied", "info": "You need the
> \"patrol\" or \"patrolmarks\" right to request the patrolled flag."} error.
>
> This API behaviour looks inconsistent to me, because anyone can see
> patrolled/unpatrolled colored markup at wikipedia revision history web
> pages. I think patrol right should be checked only at write (ones that mark
> revisions patrolled or not) API requests and not for read requests.
>
> Is this behaviour really inconsistent and implemented that way due to
> technical restrictions or am i missing something? Can it be changed, so we
> can get patrolling information for revisions or maybe there are some
> workarounds exist?
>

> [1] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/API:RecentChanges
> [2]
> https://en.wikipedia.org/w/api.php?action=query&list=recentchanges&rcprop=title|patrolled&rclimit=3
> [3]
> https://en.wikipedia.org/w/api.php?action=query&list=recentchanges&rcprop=title&rcshow=patrolled&rclimit=3

Re: Read access to patrolled flag in wikimedia API

Lucas Werkmeister
As far as I know Brian is right, the patrol status in recentchanges is not
public. However, the patrol log
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Log/patrol> is, so with a bit of
effort you should be able to mostly reconstruct whether a revision is
patrolled or not. (I thought about reporting this as a [very minor]
security bug when I noticed it some months ago, but according to
Phabricator people seem to be well aware of this. I’m not sure why we don’t
make the patrol status public on recentchanges, to be honest.)

Cheers,
Lucas

Am Di., 5. März 2019 um 17:33 Uhr schrieb bawolff <[hidden email]>:

> Are you sure that patrol status is shown as colour coding on history pages?
> I'm pretty sure its not.
>
> If you mean kind of the dim yellow colour (like in
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=List_of_programs_broadcast_by_Adult_Swim&action=history
> for the moment, but that will likely change soon), that means a pending
> change, which is a different system from patrolling.
>
> Note, on enwikipedia (but not other projects) RC patrolling is disabled,
> and only new page patrol is enabled (so only the first revision can have a
> patrol status).
>
> --
> Brian
>
> On Tue, Mar 5, 2019 at 4:13 PM Сибирев Кирилл <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi, we are using wikimedia http api for getting pages recent changes [1].
> > We'd like to be able to distinguish patrolled and unpatrolled revisions
> and
> > this feature is supported according to docs, but we still can't use it
> > because of access permissions. For example if i making requests like [2]
> or
> > [3] i am getting {"code": "permissiondenied", "info": "You need the
> > \"patrol\" or \"patrolmarks\" right to request the patrolled flag."}
> error.
> >
> > This API behaviour looks inconsistent to me, because anyone can see
> > patrolled/unpatrolled colored markup at wikipedia revision history web
> > pages. I think patrol right should be checked only at write (ones that
> mark
> > revisions patrolled or not) API requests and not for read requests.
> >
> > Is this behaviour really inconsistent and implemented that way due to
> > technical restrictions or am i missing something? Can it be changed, so
> we
> > can get patrolling information for revisions or maybe there are some
> > workarounds exist?
> >

> > [1] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/API:RecentChanges
> > [2]
> >
> https://en.wikipedia.org/w/api.php?action=query&list=recentchanges&rcprop=title|patrolled&rclimit=3
> > [3]
> >
> https://en.wikipedia.org/w/api.php?action=query&list=recentchanges&rcprop=title&rcshow=patrolled&rclimit=3

Lucas Werkmeister
Full Stack Developer

Phone: +49 (0)30 219 158 26-0
https://wikimedia.de

sum of all knowledge. Help us to achieve our vision!
https://spenden.wikimedia.de

05.03.2019, 19:33, "bawolff" <[hidden email]>:

> Are you sure that patrol status is shown as colour coding on history pages?
> I'm pretty sure its not.
>
> If you mean kind of the dim yellow colour (like in
> https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=List_of_programs_broadcast_by_Adult_Swim&action=history
> for the moment, but that will likely change soon), that means a pending
> change, which is a different system from patrolling.
>
> Note, on enwikipedia (but not other projects) RC patrolling is disabled,
> and only new page patrol is enabled (so only the first revision can have a
> patrol status).

Thanks for the answer, i'm little bit confused by naming here, i guess.
Mostly we use ru.wikipedia.org, where a lot of pages have blue/yellow markup
and legend for blue can be translated as "patrolled version", and yellow is "unverified version"
(here screenshot of what i am talking about https://yadi.sk/i/A0FRG6yz86ECdg)

So, if i did understand you correctly, blue/yellow markup is about pending changes
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Pending_changes) and not patrolling
(https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Patrolling), am i right?

Basically we want to get from api same data which users see on wikipedia article page
and as far as i understand yellow changes are not visible until approved.
Can you send me some page about comparing pending and patrolling, because for now
i can't understand if the two system can be applied to one page and what happens
if revision is patrolled (does it become approved and not pending after that)?

If pending system is responsible for revision visibility on article page then it is
not matter to us what patrolling does, i guess.
But in that case we need to get pending property of revision from API, is it accessible?

> --
> Brian
>
> On Tue, Mar 5, 2019 at 4:13 PM Сибирев Кирилл <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>>  Hi, we are using wikimedia http api for getting pages recent changes [1].
>>  We'd like to be able to distinguish patrolled and unpatrolled revisions and
>>  this feature is supported according to docs, but we still can't use it
>>  because of access permissions. For example if i making requests like [2] or
>>  [3] i am getting {"code": "permissiondenied", "info": "You need the
>>  \"patrol\" or \"patrolmarks\" right to request the patrolled flag."} error.
>>
>>  This API behaviour looks inconsistent to me, because anyone can see
>>  patrolled/unpatrolled colored markup at wikipedia revision history web
>>  pages. I think patrol right should be checked only at write (ones that mark
>>  revisions patrolled or not) API requests and not for read requests.
>>
>>  Is this behaviour really inconsistent and implemented that way due to
>>  technical restrictions or am i missing something? Can it be changed, so we
>>  can get patrolling information for revisions or maybe there are some
>>  workarounds exist?
>>
>>  [1] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/API:RecentChanges
>>  [2]
>>  https://en.wikipedia.org/w/api.php?action=query&list=recentchanges&rcprop=title|patrolled&rclimit=3
>>  [3]
>>  https://en.wikipedia.org/w/api.php?action=query&list=recentchanges&rcprop=title&rcshow=patrolled&rclimit=3

Re: Read access to patrolled flag in wikimedia API

Сибирев Кирилл
Hi, i can't find information about filtering pending changes through api, can someone
help with my previous questions?

06.03.2019, 13:32, "Сибирев Кирилл" <[hidden email]>:

> [...]
>>>   patrolled/unpatrolled colored markup at wikipedia revision history web
>>>   pages. I think patrol right should be checked only at write (ones that mark
>>>   revisions patrolled or not) API requests and not for read requests.
>>>
>>>   Is this behaviour really inconsistent and implemented that way due to
>>>   technical restrictions or am i missing something? Can it be changed, so we
>>>   can get patrolling information for revisions or maybe there are some
>>>   workarounds exist?
>>>
>>>   [1] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/API:RecentChanges
>>>   [2]
>>>   https://en.wikipedia.org/w/api.php?action=query&list=recentchanges&rcprop=title|patrolled&rclimit=3
>>>   [3]
>>>   https://en.wikipedia.org/w/api.php?action=query&list=recentchanges&rcprop=title&rcshow=patrolled&rclimit=3

Re: Read access to patrolled flag in wikimedia API

Max Semenik
I don't think it's possible to filter by flagged status, however you can
combine this information with recent changes:
https://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%A1%D0%BB%D1%83%D0%B6%D0%B5%D0%B1%D0%BD%D0%B0%D1%8F:ApiSandbox#action=query&format=json&prop=flagged&generator=recentchanges&formatversion=2

On Wed, Mar 13, 2019 at 8:52 AM Сибирев Кирилл <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hi, i can't find information about filtering pending changes through api,
> can someone
> help with my previous questions?
>
> 06.03.2019, 13:32, "Сибирев Кирилл" <[hidden email]>:
> > 05.03.2019, 19:33, "bawolff" <[hidden email]>:
> >>  Are you sure that patrol status is shown as colour coding on history
> pages?
> >>  I'm pretty sure its not.
> >>
> >>  If you mean kind of the dim yellow colour (like in
> >>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=List_of_programs_broadcast_by_Adult_Swim&action=history
> >>  for the moment, but that will likely change soon), that means a pending
> >>  change, which is a different system from patrolling.
> >>
> >>  Note, on enwikipedia (but not other projects) RC patrolling is
> disabled,
> >>  and only new page patrol is enabled (so only the first revision can
> have a
> >>  patrol status).
> >
> > Thanks for the answer, i'm little bit confused by naming here, i guess.
> > Mostly we use ru.wikipedia.org, where a lot of pages have blue/yellow
> markup
> > and legend for blue can be translated as "patrolled version", and yellow
> is "unverified version"
> > (here screenshot of what i am talking about
> https://yadi.sk/i/A0FRG6yz86ECdg)
> >
> > So, if i did understand you correctly, blue/yellow markup is about
> pending changes
> > (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Pending_changes) and not
> patrolling
> > (https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Patrolling), am i right?
> >
> > Basically we want to get from api same data which users see on wikipedia
> article page
> > and as far as i understand yellow changes are not visible until approved.
> > Can you send me some page about comparing pending and patrolling,
> because for now
> > i can't understand if the two system can be applied to one page and what
> happens
> > if revision is patrolled (does it become approved and not pending after
> that)?
> >
> > If pending system is responsible for revision visibility on article page
> then it is
> > not matter to us what patrolling does, i guess.
> > But in that case we need to get pending property of revision from API,
> is it accessible?
> >
> >>  --
> >>  Brian

> [1].
> revisions and
> it
> [2] or
> error.

> web
> that mark

> so we

> https://en.wikipedia.org/w/api.php?action=query&list=recentchanges&rcprop=title|patrolled&rclimit=3
> >>>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/w/api.php?action=query&list=recentchanges&rcprop=title&rcshow=patrolled&rclimit=3

Best regards,
Max Semenik ([[User:MaxSem]])

Re: Read access to patrolled flag in wikimedia API

Сибирев Кирилл
Oh, thanks, it looks usable. As far as i understand this flagged data contains stable revision for pages, which are have pending changes protection enabled and when flag is missing means it is disabled, is that correct?

Also is it possible to get all page revisions through this generator, so i can find stable content or it can only be acomplished with another page revisions query? When i add prop=revisions (prop=flagged|revisions&generator=recentchanges) — i get only one latest revision.

14.03.2019, 08:51, "Max Semenik" <[hidden email]>:

> [...]
>>  >>>
>>  >>> _______________________________________________
>>  >>> Wikitech-l mailing list
>>  >>> [hidden email]
>>  >>> https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
>>  >>
>>  >> _______________________________________________
>>  >> Wikitech-l mailing list
>>  >> [hidden email]
>>  >> https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
>>  >
>>  > _______________________________________________
>>  > Wikitech-l mailing list
>>  > [hidden email]
>>  > https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l

> Best regards,
> Max Semenik ([[User:MaxSem]])

Re: Read access to patrolled flag in wikimedia API

Gergo Tisza
On Wed, Mar 13, 2019 at 10:50 PM Max Semenik <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I don't think it's possible to filter by flagged status

Not as such. You can use the list=reviewedpages API module which will list
changes needing review (it should probably get some award for most
confusing module name), starting from most recent. It will not include new
pages which have never been reviewed, though.

On Thu, Mar 14, 2019 at 1:58 AM Сибирев Кирилл <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> As far as i understand this flagged data contains stable revision for
> pages, which are have pending changes protection enabled and when flag is
> missing means it is disabled, is that correct?

Depends on the wiki, some are configured to have opt-in pending changes
protection and only manually protected pages will have a stable revision;
for some wikis flagged revisions are the default and all pages will have a
stable revision assuming someone did review the page at some point (so
recently created pages might not have a stable version yet). And many wikis
have not enabled flagged/pending changes features at all and the API will
just error out on prop=flagged.

Also is it possible to get all page revisions through this generator, so i
> can find stable content or it can only be acomplished with another page
> revisions query? When i add prop=revisions
> (prop=flagged|revisions&generator=recentchanges) — i get only one latest
> revision.

I think your best bet is making a new request for the specified revisions.